Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (dozzzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-24-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
4 friends and I (all in our 30's)have been talking about a trip to a Florida based wake camp in May. We are not very good, but want to progress for the summer. Most of all, we want a casual experience where we can ride and simply hang out at night and have a few pops. In essence, we want to learn, but also sleep in and take a session off if we feel like it.
Any suggestions on a good place?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-24-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
i dont think you will find that in a typical camp. if your looking for something like that then your best bet would be to find a local pro and book a houseboat trip and pay them to come out for the week. that way your in control. plus its more personal.
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-24-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
Check out theboardingschool.com. It's Shaun Murray and Travis Moye's school. Good atmosphere and tons of fun.
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-24-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
O'Town Watersports is really good about being relaxed with groups like that. They have beds and everything for you right at camp, and mid to late may you guys would probably be the only campers there (or melissa would make sure of it, one of the two), so you're always welcome to bust out the brews at night. It's a fun atmosphere, and you'll get to watch tons of pros ride while you're there too. Plus they're really accommodating as far as letting you do whatever you want... wakesurf, wakeskate, hit rails, wakeboard, take an easy set... I know it's not typical fashion, but they even had tubes and stuff on hand if you decide that's what you'd like to do. Their website is www.OTownWatersports.com .. Take a look and see what you think. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call. Melissa's got the DL on it all.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-24-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
Barrett, enough with the tubes
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-24-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
I would recommend the boardingschool with Travis and Shaun..

You'd be suprised on how many parents go there to learn!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-24-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
Have been to a few in FL, but the best camp I have been to is West Coast Camps. http://www.westcoastcamps.com Session 1 or 2 for us old guys (I'm registered again for session 2 this year). Houseboat vacation / wakeboard camp all rolled into one. Unlike the camps that I went to in FL, the coaches do not leave you after the riding is done, they hang with you 24/7 for the whole week. As fun as wakeboarding gets, completely focused on learning skills. enough wakeboarding to do this...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-24-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
Takleberry, I have heard nothing but good things about Mike's camp, so I agree. Not sure what camps you went to in FL, but at O'town the coaches live at the camp and also interact with all the students 24/7.
Old     (slowake)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-24-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
Check out www.DeltawakeboardCamp.com they have a houseboat option or a guest house so you can set it up with your won crew. Two boats, tons of riding, delta butter, oh yeah and a full on margarita machine for your evening "pops"
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-24-2008, 11:27 PM Reply   
randy... i've seen it happen!!!! just throwing it out there.
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-25-2008, 1:04 AM Reply   
I'm with Tim on this one. the www.DeltawakeboardCamp.com is probably the best bet for what your looking for. super laid back with some of the best coaches on the west coast. Cant get any better then the delta and their boats are weighted well. A lot of fun and a good place to hang out with your friends, and make some new ones.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-25-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
Try Sean O'Brien at www.orlandowake.com ! In Orlando, close to all the fun and relaxing things your probably going to want to do when not wakeboarding.
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       01-25-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
I second theboardingschool.com. I'm in my mid 30s and was there a few years ago. I had a great time. Shaun and Travis are great coaches and even better hosts.

They will push you but not over push.

Tim
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-25-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
The Boarding School is hands down is the BEST!
Old     (wakesnow1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-25-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
Definitely Dave Briscoe @ thewakeboardcoach.com you guys will have a ton of fun - have 17 lakes to ride on and can stay at his "house of paine". my crew (40+) really enjoyed themselves. Dave cooked for them and played guitar. All that and he's a great coach...
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-27-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Juicyfruitguy,
We did the exact thing you are talking about last spring. Might do it again this spring. There were 5 of us all between 30 and 40. We went to the www.wakeboardcamp.com . It was awesome. A little sports bar across the street. Went out to Sushi with the coaches. Went to OWC one day. I would highly recommend them.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome
Old     (mikey_marsh)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-27-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
The Boarding School is the Sh#%
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-27-2008, 3:29 PM Reply   
The Boarding School with Shaun and Travis is really geared for the progression of us older guys. They push you only as far as you wish. If you want to take an afternoon off and play gitar, PS2, watch videos or sleep, no problem! I'm 42 this year and they taught me everything from how to jump the wake toeside, to spins and inverts while having a great time. All at my own pace and in a way that I can take the knowledge home expain it to my friends! Good luck!
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-27-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
I have to go with the Boarding school. Shaun and Travis are the best. They know how to put things in a way that anyone can understand. They push you in the right way and get your confidence in the right direction too. I think they are the best with older clients ( Im in my 20's) and loved every day.
Old    wiz            01-27-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
the boarding school!!! i'm hoping to get back down there this august.

chuck & johnny p----- wuzzup!!
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-28-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
Wuzzupp wiz? How's is the world treating you? Let me know when you are headed down to TBS, I will try to come hang with you the same week. I was planning on going back in Oct. but I can move it up if you're gonna be there.

BTW, another shameless plug, I echo what everyone else has to say about The Boarding School.
Old     (dozzzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-28-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info guys. I also received some emails directly from some guys helping me out. Looks like there is no problem finding what we want. Just got to nails the dates down now.
Old     (famlyboader)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-28-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
ORLANDO WAKE sean and derrik have a killer house on the lake ,very laid back --good guys to be around. me and some of my buddys went down last year , had a blast rode hard and the hot tub feels good at night after a hard day of riding.....we in our mid 30,s also. orlandowake.com
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-29-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
I'm heading to the Boarding school in about three weeks with two buddies - we're all older - and looking forward to it. I heard the same things that are being said here and Travis has been very accomodating to us and our questions- should be fun!
Old    wiz            01-29-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
wakeboardSTL----sounds great, i'll holla when it gets closer. otherwise, i'm doing great. waiting on spring!
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-30-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
Will, I will just miss you. I will be there March 10-14. Anyone else going to be at TBS that time .
Old     (chadwhe)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-06-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
if yall ever plan on lookin for a place in mexico check out www.acapulcogetaways.com darin shaprio has been doin camps down here for a few years also featured in Updog the movie...chill environment on the beach with a fresh water lake right across the street
Old     (mattfla)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-06-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
one place that my buddies and i have fallen in love with is www.ridethespot.net it was so sweet shaprio coached us the entire stay with sweet accomodations and an awesome time. they really cater to adults there and he has a great way of explaining what you are doing and how you can improve.
Old     (mattfla)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-06-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
Mexico is also an awesome place to hook up with Darin
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-06-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
yeah I've been to Mexico and Florida with Ride the spot with Darin. the guys in Mexico are real cool whether or not you can make it with Darin check out the link from Chad above, he is one of those cool guys.
Old     (ega6)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-06-2008, 6:51 PM Reply   
Juicyfruitguy, I'm gonna have to agree with IGO 2 and Anthony C. Ride the Spot is an awesome set up. I've been there several times myself and plan to continue going. Darin is real chill and an awesome coach. I definitely have to suggest RTS.
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-06-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
WEST COAST CAMPS!
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-06-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
I vote for ride the spot. everything is top notch
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-07-2008, 12:17 AM Reply   
It all depends what your looking for...

From the sounds of it, Ride the Spot is probably the best fit. Hands down the most luxurious upscale location!
Old     (yellowmobius)      Join Date: May 2004       02-07-2008, 5:15 AM Reply   
I have been to a few different schools, some already mentioned. The BEST place I have been was Ride the Spot with Darin Shapiro. Darin really help me by giving me a little reality check by taking me back to some basics. I know at the time I did not like it one bit but it really helped.
Old     (mattfla)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-07-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
I went to Ride The spot with five guys and we booked the place out just for ourselves it was exactly what we were looking for.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-07-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
Unless you are stuck on Florida, there is also a good school in Louisiana that shuttles to New Orleans (rearty). http://www.skibennetts.com/
The INT finals were held there this year, funny thing considering La. isn't in INT. INT picked it because of the facilities, or so I hear.
Old     (dcase69)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-09-2008, 7:18 AM Reply   
me and about 4 of my buddies make a wake trip every year, all of us in our 30's. been to others that have been mentioned already, but last year did ridethespot with shapiro and i cant say enough about it. ride all day, take a day off, chill sets, whatever you want. great coach and good guy to be around. we all met up with him in mexico and had another great experience. will be looking to go to his camp again next year.