Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-28-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
Has anyone with a Navigator (or expedition for that matter) experienced towing problems? It seems the boat really jerks the truck while towing, it feels like you're walking forward and someone yanks your shirt a bit. On another note, this is the 2nd time I've had problems with the air suspension, I'm wondering if it has to do with unhooking the trailer, sometimes it lifts the back end up before it comes off the hitch.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-28-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
It sounds like you brakes on the trailer may be activating and/or sticking and jerking the truck back. Tow it with another vehicle and see if it really is your vehicle.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-28-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
I had an Expedition and it was terrible for towing and I was towing a light 19' Moomba Boomerang single axle trailer. It would do just what you are describing. Make sure you have the proper amount of tongue weight. I had to play around with my cargo to get it right but it helped. Still not the best to tow with even after but better. IMO
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-28-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
My navigator is an '03... I wonder if this is the core fo the problem:

LINCOLN NAVIGATOR
In recent years, Cadillac and Lincoln have been busy increasing the horsepower outputs and towing capacities of the Escalade and Navigator, respectively, in a bittersweet battle to claim the title of being “the most powerful block on every block.”

The 4WD Lincoln Navigator features a 5.4L V-8 that produces 300 horsepower and has a class-leading 8300-pound tow rating. The problem for Navigator was that the power and torque added in 2003 also produced increased noise and jerks, especially when downshifting with a trailer in tow. While these would not necessarily be objectionable traits in a 300-horsepower sports car, they are not what traditionalists expect in a luxury automobile, especially one that wears the Lincoln burgee.

Instead of reducing power, Lincoln addressed these complaints in 2005 with a new five-speed automatic transmission that makes a world of difference. The extra gear translates into more shift points so the engine does not have to rev as high in each speed. This keeps the rpm low without sacrificing torque and makes shift changes more subtle and the power curve nearly seamless.
Old     (toneus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-28-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
Patrick,

I read, and re-read your post. I don't know what you are describing. You said, "The boat really jerks the truck..." What does that mean? Are you getting a hard shift in the transmission, or is the trailer really pulling on the SUV? I can say that there is a defect in the Yukon transmission that once the trany is hot, it will shift hard from 1st to second. Give us some more details. Love to help, but don't understand what you're saying.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-28-2007, 9:38 PM Reply   
Do you have surge brakes on the trailer?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2007, 10:48 PM Reply   
What year Navi? Newer ones with heavy duty trailer tow should tow the hell outta what ever wake boat you throw at it. Concerning your load leveling that is fairly common and can be remedied if you bring it your dealer and describe the problem to your service adviser.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-29-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
I tow a 23' Cobalt (6k loaded)with a 04 Navigator....No problems, smooth as can be. Keep in mind I live in Fl and the roads are flat and straight.

Previously we had a 2000 Navigator and towed a 209 and 197, again no problems.

We did have a 98(??) Expedition(small engine 4.6 ??) back in the day, pulling a 205v on tandem trailer. It was terrible, the boat would kick the back end of the truck around. It turned out to be the tires sidewall strength, replaced the tires and problem resolved.

(Message edited by prostar205v on August 29, 2007)
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-29-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
Toneus- The trailer's really pulling on the SUV. Not a consistent pull, but a jerk about 10-15 times on my tow route which is only 3.5 miles.

The trailer / boat is boatmate tandom axle, '03 bu vlx. Not sure what surge brakes are, I know the trailer has brakes, but I don't think it's activating / de-activating the trailer brake locks.

The trailer is level hooked up, no weight in the boat except for empty ballast bags, life vests, wakebaords... the usual, no lead either. But have been thinking about it for the bow as it would probably make the ride smoother with additional tongue weight.

'03 Navigator 5.4L V8 AWD
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-29-2007, 3:24 PM Reply   
I have a 00 expedition. I thought it towed our boat (01 air) fairly well.

The backend down sag a bit more than I like but its not to bad
Old     (nubb)      Join Date: May 2006       08-29-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
First try a cushioned ball mount like this one. I couldn't live/tow with out mine. It will help eliminate some of the hard jerk.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_47815_47815