Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-16-2007, 11:22 PM Reply   
I've found an '04 Nautique SV-211 I'm looking at buying, but had a question about towing. With the trailer and all it will be right at my maximum towing capacity (right around 5000lbs), on a '98 Toyota 4Runner. I'm going to add the correct connector for trailer brakes to work of course, because I have the 3 prong and the trailer is 4. I will be towing it for probably no more than 5-10 minutes and at longest 25 minutes. I was thinking about a transmission cooler for the 4Runner, anyone know a particular one that would work well? Any other suggestions or warnings would be nice to know as well, :-)
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-17-2007, 3:33 AM Reply   
you can buy an adapter for the lights. Check your local auto parts store.
Old     (jwharan)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-17-2007, 5:01 AM Reply   
One warning, your braking will be god awful, I used to tow with a 98 4runner, and the brakes were nonexistent, in fact, I rolled the vehicle while towing, I now drive a Chevy 2500HD for towing.
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       07-17-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
I tow my Nautique Super Sport (5,000# w/ trailer) with my '06 Nissan Xterra for short distances (less than 25 miles, usually about 100 yards) and have had no problems yet... knock on wood. I am just very careful and don't go above 55mph.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-17-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
The boat trailer most likely has surge brakes, which will require no electrical connection to work.
The trailer tongue has a mechanism in it that slides back and actuates a plunger in a master cylinder, pushing hydraulic fluid into the wheel cylinders, actuating the brakes.
If your 4Runner has an automatic, a cooler is a mandatory option. Even so, I know of one Toyota Automatic in a 'runner that failed less than 25 miles from home pulling a 4k boat. Engine braking with an automatic in a 4Runner will be negligble.
Hopefully you have a 5-speed, which will be marginally better. I don't know if you have pressure and return ports on a 5-speed for a cooler, I doubt it.
Braking, as has been mentioned, is going to horrible; be very, very careful. When you can, upgrade your tow vehicle.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-17-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
I towed 5000lbs with my 99 4Runner... It was a 5-speed and the transmission started to go out after a while. It has been said , be careful.
Old     (crazyeye)      Join Date: May 2007       07-17-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
I tow 5000lbs all the time with my 2006 Lexus GX 470 (same thing as the V8 4-runner). Braking is not an issue thanks to the surge brakes on the trailer. My trailer brake fluid reservoir was low at one time, and the GX did not want to stop, so make sure your trailer brakes are in working order. I have the factory installed transmission cooler as well. Definitely get the transmission cooler.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-17-2007, 10:21 PM Reply   
I know I used to tow the University team boat several times a week and it had surge brakes which worked fantastic, I was hoping for the same kind of experience with a Nautique.