Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-02-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
for those who made sub boxes in front of the driver, are you making formed fiberglass boxes or just close fitting wood boxes? while my sub amp is out of comission I may try to put the subs on the drivers side

I have 02 wakesetter LXi
subs are 2 infinity perfect 12 currently in cookie cutter 1 cu ft per sub sealed box in storage compartment

I intend to keep i cu ft sealed.

Old    dliguori            06-02-2003, 10:53 AM Reply   
I used a wood box. I had mine in the storage compartment and moved it to the driverside and it is MUCH better. It is worth the time and effort!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-02-2003, 6:34 PM Reply   
we are going to glass it, aside from any large flat spots. hopefully it will turn out to be saweet!
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-02-2003, 7:11 PM Reply   
Take a look at these...

https://www.audioformz.com/storeindex.htm

I'm installing mine next week at the driver's feet. I'm cutting an arch shaped hole in the stock footrest and sliding the enclosure in there.

Of course, it is only 1-12", but I think it will look pretty cool!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-02-2003, 7:36 PM Reply   
those are pretty cool

I plan to replace the stock footrest with part of the box, and also somehow integrate the driver heater vent to make it trick.

I will keep you all updated with what we decide to do.
Old    kellywb            06-03-2003, 8:45 AM Reply   
Tim,

Check out MBO. I just picked up my new sub box yestarday for a 2003 Wakesetter.

http://www.malibuboatowners.com/forums/index.php?s=c13c9e77d87e054f99be3c673a9ed23b&act=S T&f=22&t=4268&st=0&#entry36889
Old    skihardkore            06-03-2003, 1:00 PM Reply   
I found a 10" box at futureshop that fits like a glove behind the kickpanel in my Toyota. wait a second. I dont think you folks have futureshop in the US. Oh well

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=9&WLBS=fsweb9 &sku_id=0665000FS90532910&catid=&newdeptid=9
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2003, 7:08 PM Reply   
We started glassing tonight. Kick panel is gone. didn't feel the need to move anything, as we will have plenty of box volume with the space we had to work with. we put a bunch of aluminum foil down, put a woven mat layer down and a couple of chopped mat layers down, for the shell. tomorrow we will remove the shell and start glassing the front of the box. we are going to run the heater vent through the box so it blows right on the drivers' feet and also going to make a pedestal to re-mount the depth finder (it is a fish finder that lets me see the contour of the bottom) this will allow me to regain use of the cupholder, as the depth finder was a tight fit. also removed the guage pod as i will likely never use it.

This box is going to be TRICK, yet removable if anything ever needs service. I'll take pictures of the shell (in the boat) tomorrow evening before we mark it up for trimming.

It is going to be so nice to have dry storage again.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-06-2003, 5:16 PM Reply   
first pic

xvbcvb
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-06-2003, 9:42 PM Reply   
tonight we marked where we want the box to go, took the shell out, added 4 more layers of chopped glass (mat) and made the speaker rings out of MDF. tomorrow we will trim the shell, start fabricating the top of the box, and probably decide upon placement of the speaker rings (they locate and flush mount the subs) we decided to nix the idea of a pedestal for the depth finder, as it would have to sit too far under the dash to allow good visual contact.

it is tough to make (2) 12's fit under there without moving stuff around a lot, but I think we are definately going to accomplish this task. more photos to come tomorrow.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-07-2003, 2:40 PM Reply   
here are a couple more photos. the one on the bed of the truck is the shell just after we removed it from the boat. the following one is today after the extra 4 layers were added and it had time to dry.

hfgjgjh

ghkjhkghj
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-08-2003, 6:26 PM Reply   
more pics:

shell trimmed:

fghd

shell with top added (top is on the bottom in this pic) the top was flat so we used some masonite with an MDF rib to give it shape. inside of the box has been glassed with 3 layers in the corner and 2 layers on the masonite and rib.

gjhfhgjfgj

once the glass on the top had a while to cure, we checked to make sure we could get it in and out of the position in the boat. it went in like butta, so then we proceeded to locate the speaker rings.

dyfdghdfgh

we double checked the depth requirement of the subs by using cardboard mockups, which we called 'top hats'

fhfghdfgh

the speaker rings were temporarily secured using hot glue and dowels, also some scrap wood was used to shim.

shgfhsfg

Once the speaker rings were in place, the stretchy fabric was secured using contact spray, and contours were developed accordingly.

gdfgdfg

the stretchy fabric was wetted with the fiberglass resin, and we left it to dry overnight. more fiberglass goes on the front and the top of the box tomorrow.

dghdfgsdfgs
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-09-2003, 12:38 AM Reply   
looks good Tim, keep posting pics. Ive got a project in mind and was thinking 1/2" ply with glass inside and out and was wondering if it would be rigid enough? itll be for a ported 12 mounted up under the passenger side dash. Im trying to keep weight down since itll be hanging up under there and i know the speaker will be enough mass and dont want a 100 lb box/speaker combo.

(Message edited by bob on June 09, 2003)
Old    markb            06-09-2003, 6:19 AM Reply   
Looks great Tim! Awsome project. Thanks for posting the info. I've got something in mind too, but I'm afraid I'll spend the time and money and it will sound like garbage. What do you do to figure air space on an irregular enclosure like that. I was thinking about just guessing and making it as large as possible. Then just add stuff to the inside of the enclosure until it sounded to the liking. Wrong approach?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-09-2003, 6:57 AM Reply   
mark, that is exactly the approach we are taking. we know roughly how big the old wood box was, we know approx what 2 cu ft looks like. I understand the hesitation with the sound expectation. my buddy that is helping me did a box in his spare tire well in his trunk, and used a lot thinner fiberglass. I kept saying 'are you sure we don't need another layer' until it got pretty thick.

bob, I think you could get away with it. just make sure to brace the inside of the box well
Old    whitechocolate            06-09-2003, 7:08 AM Reply   
Tim: Awesome Job Keep posting photo's

www.svtsupercharged.com
Old    markb            06-09-2003, 5:48 PM Reply   
cool - maybe I'll go ahead and give it a shot sometime. Keep us updated on how it turns out.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-10-2003, 5:37 AM Reply   
Mark one of the old trickes to find out how much air space you have in an irregular shaped box is to use water. Put a garbage bag into the shell that you first build and fill it with water. Then take a bucket or cooler or something and figure out the airspace of that. Empty the water into the container that you used and you can calculate the air space that you have and compair it to the recomendaed amount for the speakers. The nice thing about a fiberglass box is that it will not resonate like a wood box so it usually sounds better from the start.
Old    markb            06-10-2003, 7:23 AM Reply   
Thanks. I should have thought of that!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-10-2003, 8:40 PM Reply   
Today's Achievements:

Trimmed cloth from speaker holes now that it is dry:

sdgdfg

Fiberglassed front and top of box. Front recieved corner treatment + 3 layers, top recieved 2 layers. Top had 2 layers and 3 thick corner layers on the inside so no need to worry about the corners too much.

ghsdfgdfh

Excess fibers were trimmed and speakers were test fit to make sure there were not problems. and there were no problems!!!!

gdfgsfdg

last step of the night was a good coating of bondo, to be sanded down tomorrow, then time for carpet to be applied. this picture is after only one layer of bondo, believe me we used a lot more than that.

ddfhgsdh

I am so excited that this thing is almost done. a ton of work so far, and I am ready to reap the benefits. Anyone have suggestions for grilles other than waffle type?
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2003, 9:15 AM Reply   
How about these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3029815686&category=18 803

Pretty loud, but they do make a statement. These things usually sell for a lot more, this this is a decent deal.

The sub box looks great. I have a very similar set up in my car with the same mounting angles in a fiberglass box.
Old     (dajuice)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-11-2003, 3:34 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of my latest install. My storage locker was water tight so I used mdf wood. and covered the front with matching vinal to repel water if they got sprinkled.

Old     (dajuice)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-11-2003, 3:36 PM Reply   
sorry

Old     (dajuice)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-11-2003, 3:37 PM Reply   

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-13-2003, 12:44 AM Reply   
Justin, looks like you were getting ALL the bass when it was turned up. How much power were you sending those 12's? at your feet?
Old     (dajuice)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2003, 6:08 AM Reply   
I'm pushing them with a 1000 watt amp, but the bass sounds good all over the boat. The subs are getting about 200-250 RMS. I like more bass than most people, but I still like to have a good mix with the highs and mids so it works out good. My tower speakers above me on the tower push all the highs and mids as well as the speakers in the boat and then the subs only push bass.

(Message edited by dajuice on June 13, 2003)
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       06-13-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
Quick question, early in this post someone said they had their sub in a wood enclosure inside their storage compartment. Was the storage compartment totally sealed? What I mean is did you have any holes out of the storage compartment to let the sound out? Or can you hear the sub through the compartment. I have a Tige' 22I with one sub under the dash, and want to put at least one more in the back left storage compartment and might put a third in the back right compartment. I was wondering if I need to make a hole in the compartment to hear the sub, I assumed yes, but maybe I don't.

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-13-2003, 10:06 AM Reply   
Jonothan, about 75% of the reason I am buiding (or pretty much can say have built aside from the carpet) the box on the drivers side is the fact that the sound was attenuated a LOT in the storage compartment.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       06-13-2003, 10:22 AM Reply   
Thanks, sounds like I definitely need to have a hole with a grill of some kind in the wall of the storage compartment in the back. I wish I could mount the sub there with a box behind it like I have under my feet on the kick panel. But it won't fit.

I was going to have a custom box made to fit in the compartment with the sub angled towards an area where I can drill a hole in the side of the compartment "fiberglass area" to let the sound out. The hole will only be about 8 inches, but should work. Thanks again!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-13-2003, 10:28 AM Reply   
by the way,

have not carpeted the box yet, as I am waiting on the carpet, ordered from the malibu dealer this week. However, last night I installed the subs in the box, and placed it in the boat. It sounds great. the box is real 'dead' sounding, no resonance so that cleans up the sound a lot, and also no glovebox contents rattling. It hits hard. The driver (most of the time me) will have the best seat in the house for bass. haha
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-13-2003, 5:50 PM Reply   
here are some pics of the sub in the boat. on water testing proved that the box sounds incredible.

***Imagine it covered in grey carpet***

gsfdgdfg
ertertewrt
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-15-2003, 11:42 PM Reply   
Tim you got the wish i could here that monstrosity