Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-21-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
So we couldn’t stop with the VLX demo, we told Bakes Marine we had to test big brother too. So we set out Friday afternoon on a less than perfect day, but it didn’t matter we were so stoked to demo the 09’ Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV. So here comes Brett V from Bakes Marine into the parking lot at Lake Sammamish with a beautiful red, black, and white LSV in tow. We loaded up and hit the water and the first thing we had to do was see these surf wakes in stock form for comparison against the monster stock surf wakes of the 09’VLX.

Well it didn’t take us long to see that we were going to need more weight in this boat to achieve the monster surf wake the VLX was throwing down. We didn’t waste any time loading up about 650# in a sac in the rear locker regular side, about 300# in a sac under the seats, and full MLS ballast. I have to say I thought the wave would be a little taller so we adjusted the wedge all the way down from the middle position it was at. I jumped in the lake ready for business. When I started surfing this wake I got the biggest grin on my face. Is it weird to fall in love with a surf wake? I think I have fallen in love with the wave this 09’ Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV was throwing down. I LOVE THIS BOAT.

What the wave lacked in height it more than made up for in push, firmness, and shape. It was like riding an avalanche down a mountain. I’ve never ridden a wave with this much push. I was riding at 10.6 and it felt as if I was going so much faster. I constantly had to put the brakes on with this wave, it was amazing. It did take me a minute to get used the amount of push from this wave but once I did I was having the time of my life. I was trying to see how far back I could ride and managed about 15’ before I started to fall out of the pocket with this weight configuration. I barely put on the gas (leaned forward a little bit) for a second and I was coming in hot on the transom of the boat. The best part was that just like on the VLX all the sacs are hidden and out of the way. For reference there were 3 guys in the boat and one female, they must have thought I was going crazy out there giggling like a little kid. Oh and did I mention I LOVE THIS BOAT.

John got to know really quickly exactly what I was giggling about when he took on the surf wave coming from this LSV. His eyes got huge followed by the smile that you just can’t help while surfing this boat. Our goofy side rider Charlie was with us and has only surfed a few times out on my boat. He rides goofy and doesn’t see the dark side love on my boat to often; I usually make him tough it out regular side. We had to load up the dark side for him on this 09’ LSV. We put about 500# in the back locker and kept full MLS and wedge all the way down. Charlie was going ropeless after about 3 minutes and looked like he was having a blast. The dark side looked to shape up nicely with very little weight on this boat. This boat is very easy to surf given the characteristics of the wave described above.

This boat does list more than the VLX when weighted but who cares I was in surfing heaven. Malibu really stepped up in the interior this year and got rid of the unattractive dash layout in the 08’ LSV. It’s now the same dash and layout as the VLX with all the nice little cubby areas that you never knew you had to have until see them. Take everything we wrote on the last review of the 09’ VLX interior and apply it here on this boat. These 09’ boats are just plain sexy, I don’t know how else to put it. To me this 09’ Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV boat is just like the VLX, just 1.5’ longer. If you role with a bigger crew or just prefer a larger boat you have to get this 09’ Wakesetter 23 LSV. I wasn’t sure how I felt about the bow rails being moved into the bow area but after testing these 2 09’ boats I actually love how it cleans up the looks of the boats.

The test boat had the 350 Monsoon and stock prop on it and was plenty for what we wanted and surfed great with this setup. Sorry guys we couldn’t get any wakeboarding in it started sprinkling on us towards the end of our surf session.

Bottom line is this is a fantastic boat that puts out the finest surf wake I’ve ever had the pleasure to ride. Thanks Brett V and Bakes Marine for letting us put the 09’ Wakesetter 23 LSV through the paces. We had a great time and everyone loved this boat. I don’t usually get this excited but I just can’t help it with this 2009 Malibu Wakesetter lineup. Great job Malibu I can’t wait to see how you guys take it ANOTHER step beyond in the coming model years. But please let me enjoy the new 09’ I’m going to get before making me drool over some of the new stuff you’ll be coming out with.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-21-2008, 6:27 PM Reply   
Few more pics including the dark side.Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-22-2008, 5:04 PM Reply   
Thanks for the review. The wave looks pretty good but get your friend off that booty ass Hyperlite Broadcast wakesurfer.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-22-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
He said he borrowed it from you!
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-22-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
yo hate why you gotta be so mean. I dont see you offerin up any of your boards..
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-23-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
Actually I would have given him my Broadcast I can't fricken stand it/them. I'll let anyone try my TWP if there out.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-23-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
ok then hate we will be out on sam sat. what time shall we expect you and your twp?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-23-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
LOL, I'll be at my place in Chelan but seriously if you ever wanted to surf I'm usually always down. I just won't go past my lake or Lake Stevens.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-24-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
I like the reviews but I need wakeboarding wakes and further descriptions from wakeboarders on the 2009 VLX and LSV. Do you guys wakeboard?

(Message edited by slipknot on September 24, 2008)
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-24-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
do a search, actually its probably still in the archive, you can probably hit crtl+F and type in 09 vlx there is an awesome review on it for surf and wake.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-24-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
i thought i was too lazy too look but here you go

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/626390.html?1221753940
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-24-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
wakesurfing
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-24-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
hold tight im talking to the dealer about doing it again with wakeboarders.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-24-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
Slipknot,

I blew out my knee at the beginning of the season so I couldn't wakeboard, going in for surgery this winter. Sorry to have dissapointed you with the reviews but we just couldn't line anyone up to ride the wake on our scheduled day out. No worries we'll be getting another review specifically of the wakeboarding capabilities from both the boats from very skilled riders.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-24-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
Slipknot there some pics of the wakeboard wake, ask some questions there.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-25-2008, 6:10 AM Reply   
I was not disappointed with the reviews, thanks for showing it here. Just want to see one with 750s in the back and 400 in lead in the nose
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-25-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
Twitch thats the VLX review this is the LSV.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-25-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
He wanted the LSV review too
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-25-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
VLX*
Old     (diesel_bu)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-01-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
I just got one of these. This boat is amazing. So much room, so well designed. Ride is smooth and the wake is amazing. Weve only been out twice since we got it last weekend but I already love this boat more then anything Ive ever been in. Maliview is amazing too... everything you need to know is right there on a 6.5 inch color LCD in the dash. So cool.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-01-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
Is the wake for surfing better on the goofy side than the port side or it is about the same
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       10-01-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
goofy is awsome and reg. is great no one will be disapointed when it comes to surfing this boat.