Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-04-2011, 4:18 PM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-05-2011, 4:29 PM Reply   
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            03-05-2011, 4:53 PM Reply   
For the last two years we've had crazy low levels of water in our lake. This year the lake is almost full. That first picture is our ramp, all 20 feet of it The second is half the parking lot under water! It's good that the ranger put the safety tape up
Attached Images

Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-06-2011, 8:38 AM Reply   
when was that jeff,You guys are trunking it..Im heading to go meet up with Drew and try that wake this month...
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-06-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
LOL,Dennis is part Walrus or something,no way I trunk it now mang.
Old    surfdad            03-06-2011, 5:57 PM Reply   
That was yesterday DJ - not all of us were trunking it. James and Dennis are crazy! Are you going to Florida? Drew has his boat dialed and they are great folks.

I'm with you Gunz, it was freezing even with the sun out.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Jealous!!!! were still surfing frozen water up here! April 1st the boat comes back out, can't wait!!!
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-07-2011, 12:07 PM Reply   
yeah of to florida in 2 weeks..
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-08-2011, 6:03 PM Reply   
air reverse madness today...
Attached Images

Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-10-2011, 8:20 AM Reply   
I will be ready for ya. The water has been great but we are getting a 3 day cool spell, should pop right back up !
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-10-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
just make sure your ready to sink the boat,haha..
Attached Images

Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-10-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
great thing about the 226, don't have to sink it to get a great wave, I know how u roll, we'll see....
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-10-2011, 3:30 PM Reply   
yeah buddy,cant wait ...
Old    surfdad            03-12-2011, 5:01 PM Reply   
It's almost spring!
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-13-2011, 6:31 PM Reply   
Jeff how fast are you guys riding? How do you have it weighted?
Old    surfdad            03-13-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
Hey Duffy. We didn't have Dennis with us yesterday, so we were lighter by 275 pounds or so. James was messing around with a new trick, so for MOST of the day we didn't have any bow ballast, and just the port sac, which I believe has a capacity of 1,600 pounds. Judy was driving and she is 100 pounds and I was in the rear corner at 200 pounds. So total ballast was 1,900 pounds when James was riding.

James was going as slow as 10.6 and as fast as 12.2. I always do 11.

We had the trim tab set MOSTLY at 50%, but James did have me adjust it down to 0% for a bit and once all the way to 100%.

I wasn't really paying attention to when and where the changes were made. However, the 1,900 pounds was consistent through the entire day.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-14-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
Nice, the wave looks great and very similar to mine in shape. I never ride below like 11.2-11.5 and I am thinking of adding some bow weight (I currently only run 255 on surf side in the bow) and slowing it down to 10.7 or so to keep the length. My airs are always better when the boat is moving a little slower but I want the length Plus the wave is gigantic at 10.5-10.7 and with the price of gas the reduced rpm's could save me some cash.
Old    surfdad            03-14-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
Thanks Duffy. Yeah, like you say, the hulls are very similar. I almost had a coronary at the pump over the weekend I paid over $4 a gallon at the gas station close to my home, NOT at the marina.

We are getting grief from a Deputy on our lake with the amount of ballast we use. He's stopped us once and the last time out, we weren't wakesurfing but he literally hovered around us and was watching us with binoculars for the better part of 30 minutes. I know he's going to cite me sometime this season. While I'm not thrilled with that prospect, I'll fight it but not until AFTER April 15th. So for the time being, we're trying to minimize the amount of ballast so if I do get cited, it's not over a clearly stupid amount of ballast.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-14-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
I remember reading that a wakeboat going 22mph with 2000 lbs of ballast (lots of stock boats come with that) creates a bigger wake- erosion then surfing with 2000 going 11 mph. More energy is released thus more disruption of the lake. I would use that argument Tell him this boat is designed to surf and it's a ton of fun.
Old    surfdad            03-14-2011, 11:25 AM Reply   
We've had that discussion and in the first "stop" he indicated they pulled a suken 'bu from a local lake that was "over weighted". I haven't had a chance to look or even verify, but the Deputy said the boat was wakesurfing, listing to one side, took on water and subsequently sank. So his "thing" is that weighting or more appropriately OVER weighting to one side creates a dangerous environment. He is itching to ticket me, I swear you can see the hair on the back of his neck stand up. The last time he "surveyed" us, everyone scrambled to the starboard side and sat and chatted - the boat was perfectly level After April, I'll get my ducks in a row and just go visit the Sheriff's office.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-14-2011, 6:16 PM Reply   
Duffy, with regard to wake energy...

Recall high school physics, kinetic energy is ½*m*v^2. Suppose you weight a wake board boat and a wakesurf boat with the same mass. Then consider that you run the wakeboard boat at let’s say 20 mph and the wakeboard boat at 10 mph. The ½*m part of the kinetic energy equation is the same for both cases. However the velocity part is vastly different. 10^2 is 100 and 20^2 is 400. So you can make a case that the energy in the wakeboard wake is four times the energy in the wakesurf wake.

These figures are a little off because we are talking about fluids and I don’t have the training to really understand the subtleties, but the fundamental 1/2 *m*v^2 is a really good start.

So there’s good reason to say that the wake from a similarly weighted wakeboard boat has more energy than the wake from a wakesurf boat, that’s about four times more energy. A wakeboard wake isn’t “bigger” it has more energy. More energy might do more damage to the shoreline, that’s hard to say. I’d say that a wakesurf wake has taller peaks and a deeper trough. A faster moving wakesurf wake may smack the shore with greater speed and more disruptive energy. However, a taller wakesurf peak may wash further ashore and cause damage differently.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-14-2011, 7:10 PM Reply   
I think the wakesurf wave dissipates quicker then a wakeboard wake will. Thanks for the math. I will totally use that if I get pulled over!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-14-2011, 7:20 PM Reply   
I agree, the Wakesurf wake should dissipate quicker, there's less energy to dissipate.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-15-2011, 9:50 AM Reply   
I sure hope the cops on my lake don't follow suit, and start ticketing us for listing. We sac out the Avy big time, and so far they have not gave me any trouble. Hopefully law enforcment across the country will start to educate themselves on the whole wakesurfing sport. I have no idea what I'm going to do if they eventually try to stop us. Guess sell the boat and move closer to the ocean!
Old    surfdad            03-15-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
@ tony Yeah I hear you. Our home lake is administered by the Army Corp but the local Sheriff patrols it. I've heard from other folks that the Federally administered lakes are having some issues with wakesurfing - the 21 foot rope rule as an example. We've been wakesurfing it for 6 years now, without issue and we've had run in's with this deputy twice now in just a few weeks. We've also been the only boat on the lake, so maybe if he has more folks to go after, we'll be less of a target for his attention.

@ Bigshow Bigshow! So good to see you actively posting again!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-15-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
One side of our lake is Lewis/McCord military base. This is the side we surf on so that the wave doesn't affect the homeowners docks. I have seen the MP's out in the lake, but have never had a problem with them. Its the Lakewood Police that seems to have a attitude. But again I have only been stopped once by them for surfing. They told us to stop, you don't want to know what my reaction was. Just lucky He didn't take me to jail. Anyway, a half hour later he came back and stopped me again while we were sitting ( I thought, oh no here we go again.) Suprise!! he came back to let me know it was perfectly legal to surf. Instantly made me happy again. We are happy the Lakewood police are well educated with the rules. Now if I can only get them to pull the idiots over that constantly try and jump my wave behind the boat, (jet skis) or pull their tubes 15ft in front of my bow. And this is while we are underway with a rider behind the boat. Last year at the beginning of the season we were pulled over and spot checked, when we were close the only boat out there. I agree, its easier to hide with more boats on the lake. Good luck out there!
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-15-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
we go about 12 to 14,we get pretty good gas mileage ,I reproped the boat...
Attached Images

Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-15-2011, 5:47 PM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-15-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
Ya, I've been lurking. That and working on the house.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-16-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
ok guys I am a little jealous! Last weekend we planed to surf on of our local lakes, since the other one doesn't open for boats until April 15th. Anyways, Nick ( Nikki sixx on WW) went down to check out the lake and he sent a text saying it was frozen. I just found out that it has thawed but it keeps raining every day here in southern Idaho. I can't wait for good weather to come!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-16-2011, 2:44 PM Reply   
sorry folks, didn't mean to hijack the photo thread.......my bad. James that is one sic wave, nice ride shots also. Hey when are you gonna give me advice on changing my prop??J/K
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-16-2011, 5:10 PM Reply   
thanks buddy,what boat do you have,,
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-16-2011, 7:03 PM Reply   
04 avalanche
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-18-2011, 7:51 AM Reply   
Sorry to go off topic but I find the discussion about kinetic energy and listing an interesting one. As a former U.S. Sailing Team Member, I'd like to chime in on the listing point which was noted above. There are some sailboats that are designed to sail fastest while listing. One, simple example is a catamaran. By sailing the cat listing or flying a hull, it reduces drag (one sponson or hull in the water vs. two). For discussion withe police, I wonder how that argument would fly? Meaning, I have never seen the police pull a sailboat over for sailing while leaning. It would be an interesting counter point. While a surf boat is not completely designed to list, it was built with that intent. And I don't think there is more risk in list one vs. the other as both have similar inherent risks.

I am all for safety, believe me, but I don't feel listing is a completely valid safety argument.

Two random pics attached for reference.

T
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-18-2011, 9:43 AM Reply   
James you can always send me a PM on that prop question. I swear on my fathers grave, I will not ever reveal you r secret........my lips are sealed LOL
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-18-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
James,
What rpm are you around when you surf?
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-18-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
12 to 14 and 38,rpm
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-18-2011, 12:31 PM Reply   
sometimes higher...
Old    surfdad            03-26-2011, 7:16 PM Reply   
Two years ago we had NO water, this year TOO nuch water! Our home lake has 4 ramps. 2 are basically under water, one only had about 20 feet of length leaving only the campground ramp above water. That ramp is also the only one with a dock.

This is our main ramp, all 6 feet of it. I hate those orange warning posts, they always get stuck in the trailer! The second shot is the parking lot, it looks like there is 1/2 of two slots out of the water.

No wakesurfing today!
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            03-27-2011, 4:48 PM Reply   
We went to Comanche instead of our normal lake, check the picture of the Pelican! I've never seen one that far inland before.
Attached Images

Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-27-2011, 6:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdad View Post
We went to Comanche instead of our normal lake, check the picture of the Pelican! I've never seen one that far inland before.
Sent you a PM
Old     (Elite95)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-29-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
Here is a video I made of Chris and Chase from Spring Break on Lake Nasworthy.

from slayshTank Wakesurf on Vimeo.

Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-29-2011, 1:34 PM Reply   
what a great idea shooting from behind!! looks like extremeland you got going on there!! cool video!!
Old     (Elite95)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-29-2011, 3:30 PM Reply   
Ha! Thanks Frank, we had a great time. The GoPro makes it so easy to shoot from several different angles. When are you guys going to come down to Texas and ride with us?
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-29-2011, 9:35 PM Reply   
chris we have open dates from june 10 to july 14 ....... see what dates would work for you during that time ....... think about this in august week 2 sometime going to do a guys only surf trip ( me and chris ) for 7 to 10 days ....... going to start at rincon for a couple days and then malibu and maybe camp a couple nights at san onofre and then i have a real nice timeshare in san diego for the end of the trip ...... it will be a surf, skate, flow rider. wave house, and surf trip ....... you guys could come and join us if you can or when i get the dates down you could have the whole family come down to san diego and stay at our place as there is plenty of room for all!!!! so lets do this one way or the other sir!
Old     (wakesurfermike)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-29-2011, 10:22 PM Reply   
Does your go pro come with spaymtank editing software? Nice riding, but overwhelming spayming!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-30-2011, 5:35 AM Reply   
I don't see any advertising in that vid,damn if people keep this up there will be no videos to watch.
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-30-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdjay View Post
I don't see any advertising in that vid,damn if people keep this up there will be no videos to watch.
Ummm, you don't see the big SLAYSHTANK logo's or SLAYSHTANK.COM website address in the video? You may need some new glasses.
Old     (Elite95)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-30-2011, 7:52 AM Reply   
Thanks Frank, I will check our schedule for this summer and hopefully we can work something out to get the families together.

Sorry to offend anyone with the video. No intentional spamming. I made this video of my son and Chase riding over spring break. I sent the video to Slaysh to host on their Vimeo Page...hence the header and trailer. I apologize if I offended anyone with the post and will refrain from doing so in the future.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-30-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
Chris don't apologize and keep posting, Mike just needs to stop posting. Awesome video! How did Lil Chris like chase's new wild board?
Old     (Elite95)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-30-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
Thanks Duffy! Chris really liked Chase's new board, it was just a little big for him. I have to say that Nick did a great job on the board. It seemed to be a little heaver than Chris' board. One thing that I noticed was it seemed to be glassed a little heaver and looks like it will be a very durable board. I know that will be a big plus for Chase, he is really hard on surf boards!

They also spent lots of time playing around with the new fins. The fins that Chase brought down really seemed add to the drive of the board, but they still released nicely. They were a little bigger than the black stixx that Chris typically uses, but he could still break them loose.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-30-2011, 5:07 PM Reply   
Chris, sweet vid!! I'm gonna copy some of them angles, Fandamntastic! What editing software are you using?
Old     (Elite95)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-30-2011, 7:43 PM Reply   
Thanks Matt, I use Final Cut Pro. Chris and Chase came up with the idea of filming from behind. They mounted the GoPro to a pole and did all the filming themselves.
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-31-2011, 2:07 PM Reply   
Chris, Great video!! I gotta highjack some of those angles with my GoPro!!!
Very nice, love the wipeouts!
Old     (Elite95)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-01-2011, 5:34 AM Reply   
Thanks Scott, I saw your video from bronte. Looks great! Funny thing about riding at bronte is you can ride for 4 hours straight and you have only covered a fraction of the trails. Also, I am ready to try out that new boat. When are you going to bring it to nasworthy?
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-01-2011, 4:21 PM Reply   
92 at the lake yesterday..
Attached Images

Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-01-2011, 10:00 PM Reply   
Chris, SOON and if windy tmrw we are going windsurfing, you up for that??? and Gezz JDJ just killin' it SWEET! Killin' it this whole thread!!!
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-02-2011, 11:43 AM Reply   
Thanks...
Attached Images

Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-02-2011, 11:52 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3qhJ...eature=related