Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-18-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
This happened on lake moltrie on Sun in charleston SC http://www.charleston.net/photos/galleries/2007/sep/17/alligator_attack/
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-18-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
lol yeah how crazy is that, i saw it on the news, glad they haven't made it up this way yet.....
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-18-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
it is right by where we ride
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-18-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
dang gnarly pics... thats scary
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-18-2007, 7:06 PM Reply   
dang man that one pic has the guys arm in its mouth. so crazy and scary. didnt they catch an 8 foot alligator in lake wylie a few years ago?
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-18-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
haha it i don't think it was that big, but it was in the cove we usually ride in...and it had some little babies hanging around with it...
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-18-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
thats why I'll stick to NorCal....
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-18-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
....is it bad that this reminds me of good old Chubs (happy gilmore)...I hope that guy is ok
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-18-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
Adam why u laughin? Dont see the humor in this..

Hope the dude is ok tho.
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-18-2007, 8:51 PM Reply   
i was laughing b/c of how crazy the situation was, not because i think it is funny the guy got his arm bit off....def hope the guy wakes it ok....
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-18-2007, 8:59 PM Reply   
see the bone sticking out of his arm in the jaws of the gator? that's crazy!
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-19-2007, 4:19 AM Reply   
They killed the gator and got his arm back and tried to reattach it, but I heard that it didn't work.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-19-2007, 4:34 AM Reply   
wife was right. I guess I will not go boarding in Florida after all. Tried to talk her into lessons this next Spring...she said no way she was going to get in the water with Gator's. Now there are killer amoeba's...whats next.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-19-2007, 5:08 AM Reply   
Ya, I remember the thread were all the Flordanian's were like gators don't bother you.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-19-2007, 5:37 AM Reply   
Gators dont bother you. There does not seem to be any story for this? Was he feeding it? Have people in the area been feeding it?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-19-2007, 6:09 AM Reply   
Yes, please. Everyone should be afraid of gators. Dont ever come to Florida...
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-19-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
It doesn't sound like this guy did anything wrong but snorkel in the wrong area. I guarantee this gator had been fed by others and was hanging near the picnic tables waiting for a handout.

Bears, sharks, lions, gators; nature requires a certain amount of respect and understanding to help avoid a lot of the horror stories we read.....Oh crap, Florida has all these critters, I'm not leaving the house.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-19-2007, 6:49 AM Reply   
that sucks - we've seen a couple gators since we've been here but hadn't had any problems with them. One was dead so he definately didn't bother us and the other was a baby......just makes you wonder where the parents are
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-19-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
Just get a consealed weapons permit. Shoot the S.O.B if he attacks anyone in the water.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-19-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
"see the bone sticking out of his arm in the jaws of the gator? that's crazy!"

Serious bummer for that dude, but SWEET new wallpaper for my computer desktop!!
Old     (wakechica)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-19-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
I just heard about this yesterday and couldn't believe it. You always here about the shark attacks at the beaches around here but this is the first gator attack I have heard about around here. I guess it doesn't matter where you go...If you go in saltwayer you have sharks and in freshwater you have the gators.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-19-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
Oh, f...., looked at the photos. Bad idea. That totally blows. I feel for that man and his family.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-19-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
Im with Dococ - new wallpaper! AND - Im posting it at the boat ramp this weekend!!!!! All Points Bulliten - Be On The Look Out!!!
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-19-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
The gators wont bother you. If you love the sport enough you will just suck it up. I mean dont jump right in where you see one and try to pet it cause its not your dog{although your dog might be in it].
Old     (ellis269)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-19-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
i ride in several areas with gators. i always heard that they will not bother you unless they have young or you are around their nest. i may not be as brave as i was!
Old     (jsebnick)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-19-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
I ride at Lake Murray all the time, not gonna sweat it.
Old     (lfs56)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-19-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
sorry, but if i saw a gator in the lake i ride in...ever...i wouldn't be riding there anymore, just like the ocean, i don't plan on evvver goin in!
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-28-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
holy crap, thats insane. I wouldnt be in the water if they were on the West coast. We just have to worry about seals in the delta now, I'll take that over a gator anyday.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-28-2007, 9:54 PM Reply   
they're actually sea lions at the delta. and yeah, there's a gator or two at the delta.

as for the story above, it looks like the arm was completely ripped out of its socket. any updates to the story? i read above that reattachment wasn't successful. any stories online to back that up? (not that i'm doubting...just wanna read about it)
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-29-2007, 12:03 AM Reply   
and at one point there were whales in the dirty d...and soon there could be pike if they escape from lake davis, not sure if they attack people but they will kill pretty much all other fish.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-29-2007, 6:28 AM Reply   
OK- I have always said I don't worry about gators. I lived in Florida for years and they are just part of the ecosystem. Attacks are rare, stay away from the shore and nest, etc. Then i read this letter to the editor after the attack:

"I was sorry to read in The Post and Courier of the gentleman who lost his arm to an alligator. This prompted me to write and offer precautions to avoiding alligators.

As a member of the Crowfield Country Club, I play golf frequently. One day on the sixth hole, I noted that a female alligator had seven young ones. As I stood there watching them swim, the female came out of the water toward me. Needless to say, I ran as fast as I could. My partner remarked, "I never saw an old man run so fast."

Another day on the 15th hole, I saw an alligator that chomped through the enter front section of a dog leaving the rear end for his future meal.

My friend informed me that a deer attempted to cross Crowfield Lakes, only to be attacked by two alligators that devoured the carcass.

Please, fellow golfers and others, where there are alligators, proceed with caution."

PAUL M. BORICK, M.D.
Lt. Col., U.S. Air Force Reserve (Retired)
100 S. Gateshead Xing
Goose Creek
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-29-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
Joe, are you serious that there are a few gators at the Delta? I've been a Delta rat my entire life (27 years) and thats the first I've heard of that. You ever hear of any stories or sightings? Im curious now.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-29-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
The part that got my attention was the two gators that attacked a dear. I always thought their diet was fish and other small critters. I know that the dear attack has not been verified and doesn't sound like something gators do but that is a little creepy. Sounds more like a croc attack than a gator.

You have to be careful not to be part of "gator mania" and blow this out of proportion. The odds are tremendously in your favor not to be attacked by gators, or amoeba. If you want to be safe stay off the roads. The odds are definitely more in your favor with a gator than a speeding automobile.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-29-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
I cant believe someone didnt jump in and help the guy or try and grab the gator.
Down here gators stay away usually, but theres always a chance. Hell your dog might turn on you one day. Not going to worry about it though. I grew up with gators and amoebas and I'm still here. Heres a pic of a gator at my dock Labor day this year.
Upload
Upload
Old     (nowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-29-2007, 7:56 AM Reply   
Florida native here. In my experience gators don't normally hunt people for lunch, but they can be extremely aggressive if it's mating season, if there's little ones around, if you're near the nest or if there hasn't been food for them for a while. Everyone knows they're stealthy in the water, but most people don't realize how fast they are on land. It's like sharks; people aren't on their regular menu, but you won't catch me turning my back on one or getting in the water with one.