Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    wakeboard_kid3            07-28-2003, 6:30 AM Reply   
I got into it about 2 years ago. My friends cousin was from North Carolina and he was a big wakeboarder so every time we went to the lake we rented an Obrien Buzz.
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-28-2003, 7:01 AM Reply   
Im not sure what made me want to try it. Im not even sure how the heck I even heard of it. After a few months of buying a boat I got a POS wakeboard and have been going ever since.

I have never even seen a wakeboarder before I started and I knew I wanted to try it because I mentioned it to the boat salesman, but I dont know how or where I heard of it. Hmmm what the heck did get me interested in it?

I am finishing my 3rd summer now and Im ok, no successful inverts and all yet, but looking back on my begining vids, I kinda wonder why I thought it was so fun. All I did was get up and bust my rump...hm, not much has changed.

I cant ever remember wakeboarding not being fun, now or in the begining, its always a blast for me.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-28-2003, 7:06 AM Reply   
I used to water ski. I rode a skurfer for my first board.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-28-2003, 7:16 AM Reply   
Mr. Mooch took me to Lake Nacimiento and said just try it. So I did.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-28-2003, 8:03 AM Reply   
1994 had ACL replacement surgery and had to lay off the ski for a while. Figured I could slide around on this wakeboard thing. How could that be hard on my knees???? Real smart. The ski hasn't been wet since, and the knees are not any better.
Old     (waterhiker)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-28-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
I met loveswater in school and she took me hostage to the river and forced me :-)
Old    bassboy8855            07-28-2003, 10:18 AM Reply   
I made the most common mistake... bought a bass boat (for fishing) and figured what the hell, i'll try this wakeboarding thing. Over that last 3 years, I've never gone fishing in the sumer. Now I'm trying to trade my bass boat for a wakeboard boat. But no wakeboard boat companies want a bass boat and no bass boat companies have wakeboard boats... guess i'll just have to sell it
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       07-28-2003, 11:06 AM Reply   
I started out trick skiing. I loved being able to do surface tricks, ride backwards, and catch air. Wakeboarding has just taken it to the next level.
Old    staticlullaby            07-28-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
Dave- we did the same thing. Bought a 24' Cajun fishing boat, a friend lent us a "bridle" and soon we had a makeshift tripod over the rear livewell and big outboard. Then we bought a Malibu, and spend probably half a year trying to sell a boat by a manufacturer that no longer even existed. I don't know where you are but there is a dealership out here that used to sell just fishing boats but they just recently got in a bunch of Svaras as well, and they are really pumped to sell those.
Old    smellyt            07-28-2003, 11:18 AM Reply   
My friend at HO Ski's told me to try the Hyperlite Skurfer. After that, I became addicted and have wakeboarded ever since.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-28-2003, 11:38 AM Reply   
Standing on a kneeboard.
Old    wes_the_gimp            07-28-2003, 10:52 PM Reply   
On the annual family lake trip last year we boarded for ten days straight, behind four different boats and a pwc. Got hooked. 8 mos. lator we have a tow vehicle, boat, place to park them, and a whole new lifestyle. 85 hrs on boat allready!
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       07-29-2003, 12:04 AM Reply   
Tried it once,never looked back.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-29-2003, 12:39 AM Reply   
dad bought some stuff from family friends cause they were moving, took me a week to get up (cause we dint know how) and ive been riding ever since
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-01-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
I bought Tony Hawks Ps8tr 4, it has the Lake Powell demo w/Murray only. was hooked from there on! Went and bought a 03' Hyperlite Motive and split bindings. been out three weeks and can almost do a full w2w W/a grab. What a bad A@* sport!!!

Old    ssippiriverrat            08-01-2003, 5:34 PM Reply   
I was a skier that had a friend that wakeboarded--for a year I traded back and forth between boarding and skiing--then one summer we make a "skyline"--I put that in quotations because it was my dad's garage latter that we tied to the front of the boat (btw I don't suggest that--latter fell down a couple of times and finally snapped in 2!)

Oh ya and skiing? --wait, what is skiing?
Old    griffdizzle            08-01-2003, 5:44 PM Reply   
i have grown up on the water, my dad has always had a boat, i learned to ski when i was real young. i don't remember the first time i actually heard of wakeboarding. but my older brother was doing a fundraiser for school where he sold magazine subscriptions. i saw the wakeboard magazine in there and bought a year's subscription back in '96. then 2 years later i decided to buy a wakeboard with my brother and we taught ourselves. since then i have done it all the time.
Old    upupnaway            08-01-2003, 8:19 PM Reply   
We moved to a lake community, and bought a waverunner. A co-worker of mine came over with his 3 seater for a day of riding last year, and brought his tube and wakeboard. we messed around with it, I got hooked, bought a boat, and I cannot get this monkey off of my back.
poor waverunners have been relegated to the garage of misfit toys.
Old    cryft            08-01-2003, 8:48 PM Reply   
I used to ski all the time. Our boat puts out a huge wake(not made for skiing at all) and I would always try to jump it on the skis, highest I ever got was about a foot. Then last summer I went to the local water sports shop and noticed the wakeboards they had; I asked the guy there what the deal with them was and he told me. I noticed that my boat would be good for wakeboarding and what I'm always trying to do with the skis is exactly what wakeboarding is. So of course I bought one and I haven't used the skis since.
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-01-2003, 9:08 PM Reply   
A friend invited me out last year and I loved it so much I bought a boat this spring. Although I consider that trip late last summer to be my "first" I had a skurfer I rode a little back in the eighties and I bought a directional conelly in the early nineties that I used twice. Those old boards just didn't do it for me and weren't designed well enough yet to replace my waterski.
Old    krissi            08-02-2003, 6:55 AM Reply   
I saw it on TV and thought "Wow, thats awesome!" Then I went to a ski shop and tested out some of their boards and was hooked since.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-02-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
I seen it going on at the lake it looked like it was lots of fun so I tried with no luck. I was 5-6 and 365 lbs. Well guess I was to FAT I tried everything years ago to lose the weight with no luck so I thought lets try one more time but this time I had a real goal (boarding). Guess what now Im 169 lbs less and boarding as much as time will let me. Im not the best but have a great time riding and meeting new people at the delta! So if anyone wants to ride with me or needs a third at third delta let me know.
scott
Old    demi_barbito            08-02-2003, 8:27 AM Reply   
We had two wave runners for about a year and all we did was pull inner tubes behind them. Then I saw someone wakboarding on the lake one day...

I went out and got a Liquid Force Trip...

The rest is history.

Demi

http://www.demibarbito.com/lsa.jpg

(Message edited by Demi Barbito on August 02, 2003)
Old    matt123123            08-06-2003, 9:11 AM Reply   
i was it on tv and thought it would be fun
also the whole board sport thing has me hooked(snowboarding sk8ing wakesufing wakeboarding)
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-06-2003, 9:18 AM Reply   
I got into it about 10 years ago... Lived in Disco BAy and would always water ski. WEll a friend, brought over a wakeboard and not really wanting to try it, but I did and loved it... He lived no where near me, so I couldn't ride it again... =( Year later another close buddy got a board and we started riding. Didn't get out much cuz at 15-16 yr old we couldn't take the boat out.. Didn't get my first board till 3 years later... cuz i had no money... but finally got to start doing it all the time!
Old    gunther            08-06-2003, 11:00 AM Reply   
I had seen wakeboarding before on my lake, but i didn't want to do it, until i saw Darin Shaprio on TV. He's the reason i picked up the sport.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-06-2003, 11:51 AM Reply   
My wife went to a garage sale and saw this board the guy told her it's a wake board she came home and told me about it. I had never even heard of one before so I went and looked at it, bought it and have been riding ever since, this was about 6 years ago
Old     (project3060)      Join Date: May 2001       08-06-2003, 1:49 PM Reply   
I went to the Masters in 1996 and saw wakeboarding for the fist time. Got Shaun Murray's signature for the kids but didn't even know who he was.
Old    christinaxox            08-06-2003, 2:06 PM Reply   
My older Brother started wakeboarding and it looked like soo much fun so i tried it and it was awesome..i have been wakeboarding for a bit less than a yera now and i love even thou im not that good considering there isnt a lot of time to practice in Canada because it gets pretty cold!}
Old    cwshumsky            08-06-2003, 2:58 PM Reply   
about 5 years ago i bought a crappy jet boat and went shopping for some ski's and spotted this multi directional hyperlite board which came with sandals. Nice! then got everone hooked.
the best part is these ol'time solom guys insist its a passing fad! now their boarding as their ski dry-rots.
Old     (mobyrick)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-06-2003, 4:28 PM Reply   
My brother got me into it a few years ago and I've been spending all of my money on it ever since.
Old    wblind180            08-07-2003, 11:23 AM Reply   
I started when the scufer came out and i been riding sence
Old    bandit33            08-08-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
I had been 3 event skiing and barefooting for years. One of my younger co-workers had gotten into wakeboarding when it first got started. She finally convinced me to try the boarding and I have been doing it for about 6 years now. Rarely get the other skis out anymore,....still take an occasional barefoot run.....just to clean out the spark plugs ...!!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-08-2003, 9:12 AM Reply   
All the snow melted...
Old    krissi            08-08-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
Saw it on tv thought it looked cool. Went to a place called the McClintocks tryed it out and bought one.
Old     (owaved)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-08-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
I was a slalom water skier in my younger days. I tried wakeboarding a few times and thought it was fun. So when I bought a boat I bought an X5 (center drive) with the intention of doing both skiing and boarding. It didn’t work out that way. After a few boarding sessions, the ski went into the rafters and the fat sacs went in the boat.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-08-2003, 4:04 PM Reply   
After I invented water, I needed something to drive on it. Next I needed something to do behind the boat instead of floating around and drinking beer.

Actually, i hired this guy from MN last year and he kept going on and on about it and one day he shows up with a SportNat and needed to keep it at my house. We went out once last year and I liked the boat and the water and the beer and the sun and wakeboarding was fun but I sucked.

This year I jumped the wake in late May and I was hooked. Having snowboarded for 8 yrs helped too, always looking for a new thrill. Camping, boating, eating, sleeping, up at dawn for the butter, last on the lake at sunset, it's all good.