Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (04avyboarder)      Join Date: May 2012       07-01-2013, 9:52 AM Reply   
I've tried these about a dozen times. Video is of most recent attempt. I definitely need to work on keeping the handle, any tips to doing so and any other feedback would be great.
Old     (jwweathers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-01-2013, 11:18 AM Reply   
Looks like you are riding up the wake and "tripping" the tantrum just fine. You are just throwing the handle due to fear, most likely. You will probably hang on to the handle longer and longer as you continue your attempts until you finally ride one out. My guess is that the Tantrum will be your first invert. As you progress, you will break the habit of dropping the handle.

Jeff
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-01-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
The only tip there is to hold onto the handle is… HOLD ONTO THE DAMN HANDLE!

If you did that you would ride away. Crashes are much worse when you let go.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-01-2013, 11:54 AM Reply   
fairly hard to land with out the handle. I cant tell in the video, but if your tossing the handle out of fear chances are good your closing your eyes too. Keep your eyes open and the handle in your hand.
Old     (Tylerwatson)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2013, 12:17 PM Reply   
It does look like you are tossing the handle. Also It was hard to tell, but you might try keeping both hand on the handle longer and keep it in tight. Good luck!
Old     (Intrlaz)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-06-2013, 5:27 AM Reply   
I'll take a different angle than others. I think you can gain some confidence by changing the technique slightly, which allow you to hold on and stick the landing. It looks like your approach is good, but you should turn your body away from the boat more. You are a little off axis. Think of it like a true backflip on a trampoline. Second, I think you'll get the "feel" of the boat more if you let your left arm extend throughout the trick. This way the boat will essentially whip you through the motion. Lastly, to spot the landing keep your eyes on the boat the entire time. This will keep you from getting disoriented. You don't have to see the water coming, but just know that it is coming. Watching the boat will help this.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-07-2013, 6:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrlaz View Post
I'll take a different angle than others. I think you can gain some confidence by changing the technique slightly, which allow you to hold on and stick the landing. It looks like your approach is good, but you should turn your body away from the boat more. You are a little off axis. Think of it like a true backflip on a trampoline. Second, I think you'll get the "feel" of the boat more if you let your left arm extend throughout the trick. This way the boat will essentially whip you through the motion. Lastly, to spot the landing keep your eyes on the boat the entire time. This will keep you from getting disoriented. You don't have to see the water coming, but just know that it is coming. Watching the boat will help this.
I disagree with this advice completely. I suppose squaring your shoulders off a bit more couldn't hurt, but trying to turn your head to look at the boat while you're flipping parallel to it is going to make you start going to revert every time. Keeping your head looking straight back and not trying to spot your landing too early will keep you from spinning one way or the other
Old     (Intrlaz)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-07-2013, 8:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
I disagree with this advice completely. I suppose squaring your shoulders off a bit more couldn't hurt, but trying to turn your head to look at the boat while you're flipping parallel to it is going to make you start going to revert every time.
Well I learned this from a pro, although I never had problems with tantrums or tantrums to revert
Old     (jwweathers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-09-2013, 11:35 AM Reply   
For a Tantrum to Revert, I'm not sure I can argue that looking at the boat as you come around would necessarily hurt. However, if you do that for a simple tantrum, you will tend to spin frontside towards boat before you land. That may end painfully.

Coming back to the Tantrum to Revert, I think you would want to look into the flat in front of your toeside edge to keep front sitting down.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-11-2013, 4:34 AM Reply   
First trick i learned. I too would throw the handle. Then i mentally told myself to initiate the rotation and half way thru i grip the handle and pulled my handle in and held on. Elbow will be at waist with the handle. Its a mental thing, Pop, rotate, hold on and spot your landing....Keep your eyes open and you will see where you are going to land.
Old     (Intrlaz)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-12-2013, 3:58 PM Reply   
It's possible I was being too technical with my comments. The tantrum was also my first invert, and I did not learn it by using the suggestions I offered above. I just kept throwing it over and over until I stuck it. I probably stuck it 10x perfectly then let go of the rope before actually hanging on. At the time though, I had no one to help me and Internet forums didn't exist. I was probably 14 when I landed it and now am 31. FWIW
Old     (Cpark)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-26-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
what i would recommend for keeping the handle close to you is on your edge into the wake keep the handle in as close as possible and on the flip wait as late as possible to flip, and really stomp the landings.