Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-22-2007, 6:29 AM Reply   
Does anyone know what the best boards for 08 will be and have any pictures of them. i was mainly lookin for hyperlite but it would be nice to get some input on the other companys
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-22-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
osb board co...rock super fast super pop and of course super soft landings
Old    sealyon.net            09-22-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
I would go with the Murray or JD Webbs B-Side it is a cross between the 3DS and the Premier. It looks sharp and is going to be one hot board
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-22-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
What type of a ride do you like Mike? What board are you on now??
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-22-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
right now im riding the imperial but i was talking to aaron rathy and he said hes riding the 08 premeir with 3ds bindings and he wont ride anything else but im guna wait and demo a few of the boards before i choose one im just lookin for what u guys have to say for some advice
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-22-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
Despite someone considering a new shape to be "one hot board" lets look at the facts, from rider demand. Fact is the Marius is one of the most sought after shapes in the industry right now. I didn't believe it either. TILL I RODE IT. The Marius is hands down the best shape in the industry and will forever change the way board designers shape boards. Get on one as fast as you can.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-22-2007, 2:38 PM Reply   
i disagree 110%..i gonna go with the premier
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-22-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
That's cool Ryan. I'll see you in a couple years when you figure it out, and switch to a V-Tech shape. Till then enjoy the dated shaping of the Premier.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-22-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
i test road a slingshot recoil and really liked it, so i got mine on order
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-22-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
I like my noodles with meatballs and red sauce.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-22-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
what the hell does that mean?
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-22-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
Three companys to look at;

Ronix; my personal favorite:
they one board of the year in the first year of production, and after that whole 'they all break' thing happend, i've heard nothing but good things. and pretty much every [unsponsored] rider is riding atleast one thing from them in the upper classes; boards, boots, ropes,something.

CWB; very popular company on here.

Slingshot: that new flex board thing seems to be liked by a lot of people.

other companies have good stuff too, just nothing that truly stands out to me personally.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-22-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
Come on guys, there is no such thing as the Best Board. Everyone has a different riding style, and there are plenty of boards out there to cater to the individual styles. Demo and see what works for you...

I ride the CWB Absolute Plat and it works for me, but I will probably switch to a non-plat this year. My 38 year old knees need a little softer landing, lol...
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-22-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
FYI Slingshot Wakeboards flex technology were voted best innovation of the year
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-22-2007, 9:09 PM Reply   
Jerm I Side, you can't go saying the Marius is the best because each rider has a board that fits his or her style...

personally though, i wanna see this sub 6 carbon stuff, i doubt it'll be a flop, hyperlite wouldn't put something out for it to fail, and i'm not a fail of hype, in fact i avoid em

LF-nothing special this year in my opinion (except maybe Lymans board)

Slingshot-i want to own/test a recoil 142

CWB- if i don't get a slingshot it'll probably be a marius

Ronix-nothing that great, same old as last year, if i don't like the Cdub i'll get a One or Ibex
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-23-2007, 12:40 PM Reply   
Brett, I know where you're coming from. So I'll let actions speak louder than words. Check this thread--link below. It's from an event yesterday. Look how many of the riders are on a Marius. Majority rules with this one.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/503277.html?1190525241

The Marius just has all the most functional features wrapped into one shape.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-23-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
most of the guys in the pics ride (one way or another) for cwb, so it's not really a good indication.

i used to ride the marius. i still dig it, but prefer the pop of a 3-stage rocker, so i switched to lf shane, big pop and super soft landings like the marius. if/when cwb comes out w/ a board w/ a 3-stage rocker that lands like a marius, i'll check it out.

(Message edited by dakid on September 23, 2007)
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-23-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
if those riders ride for cwb i'm willing to bet they still get to pick their setups. Most of them apparently picked the Marius.

I used to ride the absolute.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-23-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
jerm quit talking out of your ass please...who cares what you rode..i have ridden a motive a premier a byerly a murray a trip a team an omega.....lol...who says its the best shape in the industry?? you?? i think the hexavalent chromium has gotten to your dome bro!

(Message edited by drewsnautique94 on September 23, 2007)
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-23-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
.....I will vouch for the marius for older guys.....that v taper and double spine...lands incredibly soft..... I have completey forgotton whats its like to have the hard smack or slap on the water.....even casing a wake...the wake is just crushed. There is no other board with a v taper...correct me if I am wrong please!.....in my mind it would seem with that kind of shape you would land the softest....tail or flat ....although I can imagine a flex board to come close or as good on a tail landing. I am actually going to demo one next spring...because for my old body I am always looking for the softest landing. The only thing I am skeptical about the flex board is the flat bottom...that cant be good ...flex or not.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-23-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
I really want to ride the Marius, just can't find someone around to let me try it. I have ridden the Shane a couple of times though, and its landings are unbelievably smooth...like you said, just smashes through the wake feeling like butter.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-23-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
maybe a stupid question but doesn't that v taper take away from the pop?
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-23-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
funny sh*t Ryan! I'll shut up, you go demo the Marius...deal?
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-23-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
anyone have any good pics of these boards??
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-23-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
obrien natural...the best shape out there imo
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-24-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
DOES ANYONE HAVE A DECENT PIC OF THE 2008 SHANE. The graphics appear to be done very well and the shape is proven. I'm really considering this board.

What about hyperlite's tribute shape (is it Ike's)?
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-24-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
If the Marius is so great, why did they change the shape so much for 08?? It's like a different board now. Maybe they should call it the Marius 2??
Old    sealyon.net            09-24-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
Jerm I didn't say the B-side would be the best board in 08, just that it will be a hot board. The premier and the 3DS were both hot boards for hyperlite, and now with the B-side being a fast board with lots of pop....and JD being the rider...why wouldn't it be a hot board?
As for the Marius yes it's a good board. But I can say that I orderd 2 last year and still have one on the rack.I sold about 10 of the 3DS and premier's together. I think you can figure that one out.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-24-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
I agree with Lyon and J Jakober. I have looked into the Marius several times but always end up deciding with the alternative for my ride. I have rode the board several times and just can not sacrifice speed you lose with the Marius. maybe for some it is great, but not everyone shares that opinion. I would hate for all manufacturers making the same shapes as each other because it would then be pointless for them to even exsist. My wife rode my board for the first time this weekend. She now wants to ditch her board because she likes mine....a lot better. Different shapes and different people. This brand competition on here is getting old. We all have our favorites and our not so favorites. I have met people who have broke all brands of boards in half..LF, Hype, CWB, Ronix, O'Brien, Neptune etc. I will say the U.S. made boards DO stand up better and have better fit and finish. So I am biased on that opinion. And I do own Chinese made boards too. So I would consider my opinion on that subject to be valid.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-24-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
...the v taper is only at the ends its continous rocker in the middle with two spines...the extra width helps with pop.
Old     (brutto_76)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-24-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
"DOES ANYONE HAVE A DECENT PIC OF THE 2008 SHANE."

There's a good one here: http://web.mac.com/wakestuff/iWeb/Wakestuff.co.uk/Expo%20Pics_files/slideshow.html?slideIndex=6

Anyone got 'em in stock yet?
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-24-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
Lyon, you can't go by what you still have on your rack, or how many board you have sold. There are a few things that play in to that. One would be our area. Out here in cali, one of your local sold the crap out of Marius in the last two years. they still have a 06 3ds on there rack. Also how hard do you push a company plays a huge roll! Look at your first post. If you work for a shop that sells HL and CWB, Why was you first post only about HL? Cuz thats what you push, so thats what you sell.

Firman, the 08' is faster. They change it because thats what companys do!! Every couple of years they change the boards. Make lil changes to make it better. A lot of ppl say that the Premier is the best board ever. How many times has it changed? It can't be the best than right? I have rode a Maruis for the last two seasons and loved it!! IMO the best board I had ever rode! But I would be the first to tell you it was a lil slow. It need a change. (but IMO it was still better than any thing out.) They changed it for the 08' and I can not be any happer with it. Boards change ever couple of years. Thats the way it works.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-24-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
We should not try to compete with opinions....it is a never ending battle. Like I said before....all people are different in how they stand, how they carry their weight etc etc. Some boards are better shapes for some people, but that same board will not be good for the next guy necessarily. Some people sadly make decisions on how a Pro wakeboarder ended his or her season...Well she is or he is number one on the PWT...that board and that company must be the best...i am going to go buy it and be good too. Wrong! If that was the case...the Marius would not sell as many as it has. nothing against Trevor but he has not pulled off a 1080 and neither has Murray. I am still getting Murray's board because his shape works for me. I'll try the 08 Marius when one of these clown pro shops in Michigan get one in stock. But all I have to go on is the 07 Marius Platty..that was the last model i rode. Now BG when you say you sell a lot of marius...everything you say is true...but when I asked Performance down in Florida...they responded that they do not carry much stock in CWB because they do not sell much of it. I think Pro shops are a little biased on their own product. Might be related to the service they have from the board companies themselves. Getting product in when they say it will be shipped, how they handle damage returns, ordering parts, requirements for minimum orders etc etc. So if Lyon has better relations with Hype over CWB..he should push their product harder because he knows what the end result will be and how it effects business. IMO I like both brands because they both have (high) end boards made in the U.S.A. I am glad to see Hyperlite bring back production to the U.S. but in the end I have to get the right shape. I am riding a board I like right now, but not love...the Ronix Frontier. It pops, lands and spins good...but I can not get use to the slow progression it takes to turn into the wake. I like my old boards snappyness in the turns. But I'll keep it in my collection. Like I said before, my wife likes it better thatn her Coy board.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-24-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
Sorry..one last comment...Can you really compare the Marius to the Sub 6 or the 08 Murray when the board is not out on the market yet? Lyon has been on all the boards mentioned. He is really the only one that can comment on them right now. who knows...I am taking a chance on the new Murray shape...might not even like it. I will just have to wait and see. if I don't like it, I have a garantee for a trade up without losing money. Can't go wrong!
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-24-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
In no way was I sayin that he should not push HL. If thats whats selling thats great! I love to see shops sell boards and get bigger! Its great for the sport. The more shops that are growing the better. I was just said that you can't base you opinon on a board by what sells more. I also am glad HL is still doing good. Again I want a board brands to sell just like the shops. Its good for the sport. (I just want CWB to do a lil better than the rest ) I mean no disrepect to anyone or board company. I was just giving my 2 cents.
Old    sealyon.net            09-24-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
BG, No harm taken I like all the boards we sell. I am a little bios on the hype
I was just making a point to jerm.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-24-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
See now....were all friends again. I think I will buy a board from each company to keep an even playing field. I have Hype, LF, Ronix. Just need an O'Brien, CWB, Gator, Slingshot..am I forgetting any? I want them ALL
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-24-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
Scott,

When you are looking at O'Brien check out the Natural and the Coda(Cartel)!!

Both sweet boards with different riding characteristics.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-24-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
Thanks J Jakober...will do!
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-24-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
if we spent as much time on the water as we do blabbin about the boards that made us feel good about our suck level of riding, we might have a shot @ being pro!! it's all for the cause of wake riding...
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-24-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
jerm..i would love to demo a cwb board but noone close to me in ohio demos them..i have hyperlite and lf to choose from..oh and gb!
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-25-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
All i know is that i've been riding an 07 premier which i loved....until it broke only 2 months after buying it. I think i'll be trying out a slingshot this year....
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-25-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
JD my buddy broke his Slingshot in July. You might as well expect that all brands can break. There is not a full proof unbreakable board on the market as of yet. I broke a LF last year. My landing was harsh..that was for sure. But I broke it in two. But good news is...I have not heard of anyone not getting a replacement when this happens.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-25-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
Scott, you dont get a replacement board no matter what, if the board has hit any sliders.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-25-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
True Innov8...forgot that detail. not many sliders in lakes in my area. A lot of DNR operated lakes...and they are not allowed. Gotta be a private lake to have a slider set up.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-25-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
Anybody think the Marius is a knee killer on double ups? I've switched back and forth between the Marius and a Watson and I'll take the Watson over the Marius on double ups any day.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-25-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
jerm i side, you sound like the owner of a hybrid car, its funny.
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-25-2007, 10:57 PM Reply   
2 effin funny Trevor!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-26-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
the o'brien player is the best board on earth.

The Natural and the Coda are from another galaxy they are so insanely fast.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-26-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
Love my Premier and didn't like the two CDUB's I've owned (06 Pure and 07 Trans Platty)...not bad boards, just personal preference.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-26-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
i agree with the Premier, i love it. I've heard 99% of time, good things about it. I'd have a hard time justifying riding anything else. I'm interested in the 2008 model, they didnt change the shape, however, the ditched the jib ribs and the ABS sidewall which supposedly made it noticeable lighter...sounds like a good deal to me.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-26-2007, 5:29 PM Reply   
Ben..not sure if this matters to you, but the 08 Premier will be U.S. made instead of china. So more good news dude.
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-26-2007, 11:12 PM Reply   
I really want to get the slingshot recoil. I didnt think the 07 looked very good the graphics were alright and the boots didn't really match, but the 08 look amazing. Im definitely going to try to get my hands on one of those soon, I have yet to see a bad review on that board and binding set.
Old     (samson)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2007, 11:45 PM Reply   
Upload

i rode the new premier and loving it...
Old     (210hippy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-27-2007, 5:49 AM Reply   
scott, I just bought a 139 natural.If you want to to give it a try , call me.I'm in your neighborhood.Unfortunatly I'm hurt and took the superair out for the season.You're welcome to give it a try.I went from 06 absolute platty to natural.Fast board,GREAT pop.Both are great rides.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-27-2007, 5:54 AM Reply   
Andy, any idea when I can purchase a '08 Natural? I am waiting not so patiently here....

Sean
Old     (utwake1)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-27-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
Anyone know the release date on the 08 Shane? Is it still Oct 1?
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
good choice sam
Old     (samson)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
i really like how it rides, it s lighter then the 07 and i think a bit thiner so the edges seemd to hold a little bit better when cutting in
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
Hows the pop on it im thinkin about getting it i want to know how it is
Old     (rkitz44)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-27-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
Almost every company has a shape based on the Premier design so must be something pretty good about it. It was too small for me. Switched from Parks 144 to 3DS last year and love it. Waiting to see If the Ibex is more forgiving than the last Parks. Rider preference is the key. If you can demo it's the best route to try different ones out.
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-28-2007, 2:42 AM Reply   
Correction RICK every company has a board shape based on he Absolute. And there is a reason.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-28-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
Jerm, I don't think you can argue that "every company" bases a shape off of any one particular other shape, but if you are going to make that argument it is definitely not the Absolute. The Premier came out in mid to late 2000 and had been prototyped since the beginning of that year, before the Zane Pro (what Zane's board was called at that time) had molded-in fins. If you want to be really picky about it, the progression of development started with BadAss Wakeboards (see the 2000 Pod 135), then the Premier 01-03, then the Era and Gonzalez kept that shape (basically) and the Premier was different 04-05, then you get the current shape.
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-28-2007, 7:13 AM Reply   
any more pics of the 08 premeir or other 08 hyperlite boards
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-28-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
I don't know who you are Jerm I. Side, but you certainly have no idea what you are talking about. I can guarantee you that O'Brien doesn't, I'm 99.99% sure that LF doesn't, from what I've seen Ronix doesn't - that doesn't leave many others....
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-28-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
Jerm, I sure hope you are wrong, otherwise all we would have are a bunch of water plows for wakeboards!
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-28-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
Absolute? Way off base. The only board out there that basically resembled the Premier was the RG, but the 08 RG shape is looking like the Ibex.
Old     (rkitz44)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-28-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
J-star has almost exact copies of Premier and 3DS. That's why it was easy for Rusty to go to Hyperlite with his board already there. But of course since the O'briens being involved in alot of different companies there are going to be similarities. Not to mention some board shapers have switched companies through the years. What matters is ride the board that's best for you.
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-28-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
el double. I stand corrected. I completely forgot about the old BadAss shapes. It was BadAss that started with the molded fins right? I think I remember that it was Byerly & (forgot the shapers names from BadAss) that designed the molded fin concept before Byerly move to Hyperlite. Is that right?
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-28-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
Jerm, you are thinking of Herbie Fletcher, shaper & owner of BadAss and friend of Scott Byerly. Byerly's Wake Tech shapes (shaped by Scott Bouchard) had cupped rails and deep channels that were close to molded-in fins. Brannon Meek and Byerly were supposedly working on ideas for making a wakeboard with "built-in" fins back in the Wake Tech days, or shortly thereafter. Herbie Fletcher and Herb O'brien (apparently) had a handshake deal that Hyperlite would manufacture BadAss wakeboards around '99-'00. Byerly and Scott Bouchard incorporated some similar ideas into Byerly's Hyperlite shapes, the first Belmont (now motive), and the first Premier. Draw whatever conclusions you wish about the similarities between the BadAss creations and Hyperlite's first molded-in fin boards.
Old    sealyon.net            09-29-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
Scott, I hope your right, but I have a feeling that the premier will be made in China \ /
-