Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old    jolly_roger_wake            07-20-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
i'm pretty sure i've just had one too many concussions, but i swear my wakes bigger when i'm packing the 17 pitch vs the 19 pitch (ballast and speed remaining the same). any basis to this at all or am i just crazy?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-20-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
your not crazy, go try an even lower pitch.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-21-2006, 6:39 AM Reply   
Is that true? Why would the pitch of a prop affect the wake? I was under the impression that the hull was the big factor. I'm going from a 19.5 to a 14.5 this weekend, so I guess I'll know sometime tomorrow.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
I'm totally uneducated on this...but is it higher pitch or lower pitch that gets you up to plane quicker?
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-21-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
lower pitch makes the holeshot better, higher makes the top end better. The prop on my boat is a 13.25 x 19.5 and the wake is nice and big, but honestly it's a bear to get on plane with 2,400lbs in it. It's also no where near as firm as I thought it'd be. I still like it, but I'm used to the bounce that the SANTE gives you. I'm hoping that propping down helps out with both.
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-21-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
We all noticed a difference in my boat when I switched props & pitch, I think it matters for sure.
Old     (tbonus)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-21-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
At first I thought you were nuts, but after a little thinking I’ve come up with a theory to support what you say. It’s based on the fact that energy in equals energy out. Energy in is the engine, which turns a higher RPM with a lower pitch prop for the same speed. Therefore, the amount of energy in is greater with a lower pitch prop for the same speed. Energy out is put into the speed of the boat and the water. The speed of the boat is the same therefore the amount of energy to move the boat with either prop is the same. Thus, the amount of energy put into the the water is greater with a lower pitch prop. Hence, more energy left behind in the wake.

Sounds good anyways.
Old    jolly_roger_wake            07-21-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
wow that actually does make sense, well put.