Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old    roccs96            09-02-2006, 2:51 AM Reply   
I'm from the philippines and buying a boat inthe US and sending it here is not only $10k more expensive, but they also have no dealers here so service is impossible. We have boat builders here tho and they make it out of wood and fiber glass. And they can fix it too! Problem is, they arent experts in making a wake boat, where to place the ballast etc. I want to build a Super air Nautique hull. Can I get a blueprint on the measurements of the hull, tower, and where to put the ballast systems? If so who do I ask? Any help would be appreciated
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-02-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
"I want to build a Super air Nautique hull. Can I get a blueprint on the measurements of the hull, tower, and where to put the ballast systems?'

Not sure correct craft is ready to make that info readily available. You'd probably get hung up on if you called and asked. Most boat manufactures don't let that kinda info out.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-02-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
Your best bet is to find someone who has one to measure the dimensions of the hull for you (unless you can find a SAN locally to measure)... maybe someone on wakeworld who owns one will step in?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-02-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
I would recomend finding as many pictures of the hull from every different angle, and then guessing what the dimensions are. You know the beam and the length, so you can probably get a close measureman of the widths throughout the boat. It blownwould also help to measure another one. Good luck, make sure to add pictures on here when you do it.

Another idea would be to find someone who has a boat with a bad motor. Then fly to the US, strip it down to just the hull, then have the hull flown to your country. You can probably buy the hull as salvage and have it shipped a lot cheaper then a finished boat. Then you can have your guys in your country redo the interior, engine, build a trailer, tower, etc. a lot cheaper.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-02-2006, 4:00 PM Reply   
I seem to remember someone on here built a SAN replica out of aluminum not that long ago. Maybe that guy is still around.
Old    roccs96            09-03-2006, 1:15 AM Reply   
thanks for your input guys. Another question is where are the gas tanks usually located and the ballast tanks? Also, where can I buy those 3 fins under the boat? Do I really need them?
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-03-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
There was a SAN replica built in Brazil. It was a pretty impressive project and the boat weights a rediculous 6,000 pounds because he built it out of steel. I don't know if this article will be much help but it at least proves building a wake boat from scratch can be done. Good luck.
http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=516
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-03-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Crazy Brazilians.
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-03-2006, 11:13 AM Reply   
that is crazy. i wonder if it ended up being cheaper than actually buying one.
Old    roccs96            09-04-2006, 1:12 AM Reply   
guys, how does the draft affect the wake? my friend had a tige replica made with these specs:

SPECIFICATION:
Length Over All : 21’0”
Length w/ Platform : 23’0”
Beam : 8’0”
Draft : 2’6”

Measurements in feet
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-05-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
There are way too many subtleties of a good hull design to be able to reproduce on based on numbers alone. As a minimum you will need to know the "deadrise" of each segment of the bottom, of which there will be several.

The major boat manufacturer's didn't arrive at their current hull designs by just engineering. It is the result of many years of experiments, refinements and development. It is relatively easy to calculate how the boat will float, but getting a nice wake shape is something that you won't find in the engineering text books.

Mass produced boats are also made with molds for the hull and deck. If you are only making one even a few boats the cost of making the mold will be prohibitive. Some boat manufactures will actually buy their competitor's boat and use it to create the mold so they can make cheap knock offs.

If you have the fiberglass expertise that allows recreating a semi-random shape then I would recommend taking a vacation to some place that has such boats available and making a few profile templates of the bottom.
Old    roccs96            09-07-2006, 11:42 PM Reply   
'Another idea would be to find someone who has a boat with a bad motor. Then fly to the US, strip it down to just the hull, then have the hull flown to your country'

Anyone have an idea where I can find one of these? Been searching the net but nothing comes up}
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-08-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
My 1983 2001 has a really simple bottom design (about the same as the 210) and it puts out a pretty good wake. I dont think this guy will have the perfect wake. But if he can produce a decent wake at a lot less cost than what it would cost to buy one in the US, than I think he is successful.

Rocco, have you checked ebay? You have to look around. Boats fall off of trailers, sink, have trees fallen on them, fire accidents, you name it. There was a brand new malibu that caught fire on ebay for like $2000. The hull was probably the only good thing on the boat.

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on September 08, 2006)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-08-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
Rocco, here is one I found on ebay. $3000 for a a boat that is known to put a pretty decent size wake. It is the precursor to the air nautique, almost the same hull design, just 19ft instead of 20.5ft. The only problem is that storage is minimal. But you can build ballast tanks and then put seats on top of them, and you still have all the seating plus internal ballast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1987-Ski-Nautique-project-boat-model-2001_W0QQitemZ190027808373QQihZ009QQcategoryZ3075Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190027808373
Old     (xesstar)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-08-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
Hi rocco,
I have a couple of thoughts. Instead of thinking about the USA which is really far away from you, why don't you check out Thailand?
Geoff the Malibu dealer there might be able to srce you a boat a little closer to home. http://www.totalentertainment.co.th/wakeboard/index.html
Also Singapore was littered with wakeboard boats last time I was down there.
I'm sure you could pick up a good deal on a used wake boat in Asia?
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-08-2006, 11:25 AM Reply   
It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that WW's will go to get their fix.
Rocco, Please keep us posted on your progress.
Fabio is the MAN! That thing is rockin'
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-08-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
Good luck, these projects are always exciting to see. That brazilian boat was incredible! Leo, I also remember seeing that truckload of Malibus that caught on fire... would be pretty perfect for something like this, right? Great idea :-)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-08-2006, 10:26 PM Reply   
All this guy wants is a good hull that he can add a ballast system and tower to. Pretty much my dream boat, screw all of the fancy stuff.