Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-29-2004, 11:11 AM Reply   
i cant believe how much better than the XL1s it is. i got 2 more on order. even the stock lens is good. the 30i frame mode look really cinematic.

the 4 audio inputs is what is the best. this may keep me from lugging around my dsr-390.
i highly recommend the camera.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-29-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
Nice . . . what is 30i frame mode? Is that the same as 30p on the DVX100? and they finally put XLR's on it too?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-29-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
my bad, a typo.

30p...2 XLRs and now provides phantom power. hurray!

I have never been a fan of the "cinematic look" stuff on digital cameras, but this one IS bonified. it really adds that soft look, like it was shot on film. much better than the DVX100. its heavier than the XL1, which is a good thing.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-29-2004, 5:24 PM Reply   
That's what I heard, well they've had a few years to figure out the gamma curves and all that good stuff. Just in time to compete with the new Sony HDV cam too! It just keeps getting better!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-30-2004, 6:08 AM Reply   
have you worked (post-prod) with HD yet?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-30-2004, 7:02 AM Reply   
Nope but we're talking about doing Delta Sessions 2 with the Sony depending on how the image quality holds up. To date the JVC didn't handle motion well at all as HDV is pretty compressed. I fugure FCP will support a full HDV workflow by the time we're ready to edit it. If not we were also thinking 30p anamorphic. Does the XL2 have a real widescreen setting or is it still a crop?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-30-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
Its the real deal. I cant say that Im a big fan of anamorphic stuff, seems alittle amateurish nowadays, no offense. its just a 2-dollar effect now. ALOT of networks are now banning anamorphic shots, saying that "...the aspect ratios must be native."

I dont think that 30p would work that well with wakeboarding since the movement if so fast and furious. I maybe wrong though.

For the record, render times in HD SUCK!!! Even on a Adrenaline.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-15-2004, 1:42 AM Reply   
ohh 20 questions time...

where is this added weight? in the body or lense?

is the autofocus really improved? i know its gonna be a "yes" since the autofocus on the xl-1 is pretty terrible, but by how much?

i read awhile back that there is a lense for the xl-2 that is more 3d or something along those lines. have you heard about this or have any further info?

while youre ordering more xl-2s for you, why not order one for me? my xl-1 is aging and i figure if youre gonna order two more you might find it in your heart to hook up a poor college student.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-15-2004, 6:40 AM Reply   
the lens and camera are both alittle bigger. not enough to matter.

i dont use the autofocus and never will. so I dont know.

the viewfinder is much bigger and better. I cant vouch for any 3-D stuff.

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-16-2004, 1:38 PM Reply   
clips, clips... lets see some sample clips.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-18-2004, 6:26 AM Reply   
i dont think compressing clips and putting them on the internet would do it justice.

i shot alot with it this weekend. i finally got my enhancing filters in, they make the color look alot better. Still not up to par with my dsr-390.
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-05-2004, 4:40 AM Reply   
This Sony HDV cam intrigues me as well. I'm considering tossing my old Canon XM1 for something a little more advanced now that I want to start production of a wake movie. The DVX-100A seemed the obvious choice, but this new Sony is kinda interesting. The end result will be a DVD however, so I'm not sure if going the HDV route brings that much payoff, especially with the pains that will come with working in HD post-prod.

Anyway, just rambling...