Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (brettazopha)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
I just found found out I broke my wrist snowboarding this past season. Now I have a cast that I cannot get wet for two weeks until my new one gets put on. I am under the impression that there is a water proof cast I can get but this still leaves me out of commission for 14 days unless I can find a way to some how wrap it and make it water tight. Any help would be huge. The season here in Michigan is two short to be out for this long.... Thanks
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-28-2004, 10:04 AM Reply   
They can cast with fiberglass. I is not difficult and can be done at most hospitals. It will itch while it dries, however. There is no way to perfectly seal a cast that goes over the hand unless you have a glove/drysuit combo. That would be very hot, even in our beloved MI summer.
Old     (brettazopha)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2004, 10:08 AM Reply   
Thanks Karl, once I get this thing figured out I'll hopefully be able to catch up with you at the INT events.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-28-2004, 10:10 AM Reply   
either way, the water inside won't dry fast enough. It can get reeeeally nasty in there once it gets wet. Kinda like that funk that grows in your fat sacs after a while.
Old    chef23            07-28-2004, 10:11 AM Reply   
My daughter had a waterproof cast when she broke her arm. We could give her baths with it and she could go swimming. They should be able to do the same for you.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-28-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
Kind of off topic but:

A couple of years ago Randy Harris had a broken elbow at Worlds. He had a cast that went 3/4's of the way up his arm. He wrapped in plastic and still rode his passes. One of the most amazing things I've seen. He was landing blind holding the rope with his broken arm. Insane!!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-28-2004, 11:08 AM Reply   
Yeah don't get your cast wet or you will be smelling that nasty sweaty cotton underneath. I broke both my wrists once so and i still remember the stinky smell.
Old    r_dub            07-28-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
Shawn, I saw pictures of Randy riding with that. I believe they are in the wakeworld archives. Pretty crazy!
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-28-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
Yeah I was impressed to say the least.
Old    kittykat            07-28-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
actually, the gore company (gortex) makes a fully submersible cast. you should inquire at the orthopaedic's office.
Old     (brettazopha)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2004, 11:59 AM Reply   
I no Randy Harris when it comes to boarding, but I may try something along those lines. Mark how was the smell I keep hearing about in that waterproof cast. I may be able to go wakeboarding but my girlfriend might not let me come home.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       07-29-2004, 5:12 AM Reply   
Where do you ride in Michigan?
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-29-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
A number of people have mentioned the funk you can get from a wet cast but you also have to consider the potential damage you could do to your arm if you ride hard, even with a cast. If you come down hard and pull yourself out of a jump or do some big move with the broken arm while it's still healing, even with the cast, you can still cause trama to the break or fracture and end up in the cast even longer. Just something to think about.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-29-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
last year I got mad and punched my dresser and got a boxer's fracture and was riding the same day I got my cast put on but it is definatley a small miniscule fracture compared to a broken wrist.

on a side note... I broke both the bones in my shin playin soccer and was in a cast from october 19th- december 31st when I cut it off with utility scissors. very memorable millenium. my leg smelled like sh!^ and had to wrap a plastic bag around my leg and secure it air tight with duct tape just to not make everyone sick on an airplane ride home.
Old     (brettazopha)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-29-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the Input guys. I ride just north of Detroit, Mi on Elizabeth lake and the many surrounding lakes. Fortunately the break is on this little S**t bone that connects to my thumb. So I still have full grib with the rest of my fingers. I'm probably gonna stay low impact and just wakesurf for awhile, but we'll see how it feels and what my doc says about it. I don't want to injure it anymore, but I love you ride.