Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-30-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
HI,

I would like to go higher doing my jumps. right now I have no problem clearing the wake, and most of the time I even land 5-6 feet past the other wake. But the higher i would go is maybe 4-5in height.

I have a supreme with 700lbs of ballast and i usually ride with 6-7 people in the boat. The wake looks pretty nice and tall.

I don't think i'm lacking speed, and I do the progressive edge.

Any hints on going higher on those jumps?
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-30-2010, 10:22 PM Reply   
Sounds like your rope might be to short.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2010, 11:05 PM Reply   
Try lengthening your rope. go to like 75ft at least and bump up the speed. and make sure your not just hauling a$$ when you leave the lip and absorbing the pop with your legs. get it? its not a speed bump. Stand up tall off the wake.
You can go big without having to land in the flats....longer rope young grass hoppa.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-31-2010, 5:46 AM Reply   
If your wake is as wide as my V212s,the wake @75ft will be too wide unless you are riding @25mph+.Concentrate on standing tall through the top of the wake,make sure your legs are straight/stiff.If you cross the wake with bent knees you absorb the energy from the wake and loose your pop.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-31-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
Try taking a shorter more gradual approach to the wake and push the handle down and extend your legs as you are going up the wake. If you have a good progressive edge you will only need 8 or 10 feet of approach to clear the wake.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-31-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
a wake is never too wide. only the rider is too scared.you gotta get with it push hard off the wake and make sure board is on edge through the wake.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-31-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
make sure you extend your legs at the top of the wake and push the handle down into your hips and look up for the horizon
Old     (idrumyay)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-31-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
edging really hard just gets you going faster, in turn shooting you out into the flats. The more surface area contact your board has with the wake, the more upward pop you will get. Standing tall at the wake really helps people involve more surface contact from the board, and in turn poppig you higher. You may even want to try coming off of your edge (you should have enough speed considering you're landnig in the flats) just a few feet before the wake, so that the entire bottom of your board hits the wake. You should totally feel a difference when you do it right. Any trick in wakeboarding is about finding the right surface contact to edge ratio
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-31-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
Robert, you're telling me 90 ft at 23 mph isnt too long? Too general of a statement. The extention at the wake is good advice, try taking a shorter approach at it as well. By starting your approach closer to the wake, you dont have time to motor at the wake, and it forces you to use good technique and leg extention.
Old     (Tiffanynfern)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-31-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
Your not standing tall at the wake and riding through. You might be letting off your edge at the last minute which causes you to shoot across instead of up and across. i agree in a longer rope and a bit faster but even with a short rope its possible to get a lot of height. you can still get good height ona short wake. just have to hold your edge and stand tall. your knees are like shock absorbers and if they give at the wake, you lose you pop.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-31-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Robert, you're telling me 90 ft at 23 mph isnt too long? Too general of a statement. The extention at the wake is good advice, try taking a shorter approach at it as well. By starting your approach closer to the wake, you dont have time to motor at the wake, and it forces you to use good technique and leg extention.
i'm saying adjustments can be made. give me a 90' rope and pull me 23 mph i'll clear the wake behind my 2007 tige 22ve with a 102" beam[wider wake] with only the driver and no weight in the boat,i might even add a 180 for style points. why you ask ? cause i ain't scared.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-31-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
Sounds like you're absorbing some of the pop with your legs. Video of yourself would be helpfull for you and us. DO NOT let off your edge! Lock your legs at the top of the wake and edge ALL the way through it. Line tension is key. When you let off your edge, you lose some of your line tension and it affects your balance and body position off the wake, and you give up some pop. Shorten your approach. It forces you to stay on edge all the way through the wake.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-31-2010, 10:11 PM Reply   
My rope is at 65ft right now and i ride around 24 mph

I really feel like my speed is okay. Usually i go outside the wake as far as i can and then edge hard towards the wake. I'll try a shorter approach.

I think i might be absorbing some of the pop, but i'm not sure. When you say ''standing tall'' does it means I have to push on my legs as I would do a ollie, or just keeping my legs straight?

That's a video of me from last month:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZfg2WAgEFI
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-01-2010, 5:35 AM Reply   
yes you are absorbing the wake as you take off.you need to pretend the wake is a diving board or trampoline. you know how you straighten and stiffen your body to get bounce same here thats why i say push off the wake also when you start feeling that you can slow down to 21-22mph. good luck.
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-01-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
I always tell people to try and "stand on their toes". This will cause your legs to be fully extended at the top of the wake. Once you feel the actual "pop" once you will understand.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-01-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhanna View Post
I always tell people to try and "stand on their toes". This will cause your legs to be fully extended at the top of the wake. Once you feel the actual "pop" once you will understand.
Wouldn't doing that take you off your heel edge?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-01-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
65 ft @ 24mph seems like a too short of a rope to me.

Robert, I'd like a see a video of that 23mph 90' rope jump w2w.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-01-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
I edge twice. First start your turn with a medium edge into the wake. and let off when you feel the board grab. Once you feel the board lock then edge into the wake. To get pop, you've got to have a solid edge all the way through the wake. Speed carries you out--a stronge edge carries you up.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-01-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
65 ft @ 24mph seems like a too short of a rope to me.

Robert, I'd like a see a video of that 23mph 90' rope jump w2w.
i'll have to add 5' to my line now but i'm sure i can do it and add the 180 for style.if we can get enough money up i'll do it toeside too. i'm not as consistent toeside with the 180 at 85' so i can't promise i can add the 180 at 90'. i've landed in the flats at 85' so 90' doesn't scare me. most people don't believe i can jump the stock wake on my kneeboard at 75' but i do. why cause i ain't scared.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-01-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
I'm not calling you on your guts, I'm calling you on your physics. Pretty sure its not going to happen, but if you are willing to try, I wouldnt mind seeing a video of it. And if you do clear it, I will write you a formal apology.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-02-2010, 8:25 PM Reply   
Ok i tried pushing on the heels today with a shorter approach. Great air but I now have a hardtime to land... I still land in the flats and it is kind of hard on the knees!
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-02-2010, 9:42 PM Reply   
If you land on your edge, it will be much softer. Alternatively, back off just a bit and land on the downstroke of the landing side wake. Finally, be sure you absorb the landing by bending your knees. That said, the first two will do a lot more for lessening the force of the impact.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-03-2010, 6:10 PM Reply   
Today was a bit better. I got good jumps, still nothing major but i'm happy how it went. My body is so sore though!

How high is a good high jump? 8-9 feet?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-04-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
8' to 9' would be very high. we would have to see your wake. JOHN [fly135] and BEN WILCOX yesterday i measured out 90' of line no weight in the boat and cleared the wake by an extra 2' AT 23MPH . that wasn't even trying hard but line tension and water conditions and a broken string on my bindings made me think better of trying the 180. 23 mph cleaned the wake right much further back . i'm thinking of upping the ante and if you want to put money on it i will clear the wake at 100' at 23mph with NO weight in the boat. by the way i'm 51 years old too if that is a handicap.like i said above i can't say about the 180 i need the right conditions but I AIN'T SCARED.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-05-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
Robert please post videos of this, you've been claiming it several times and I believe it I just want to see it
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-05-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Again Robert, not calling you scared. But like gangstar said, video.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-07-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiEKdUqhxKs

That was two days ago. I've lenghten the rope to 75ft. At this lenght I need to go around 25mph to get a decent wake with no rollers.

I try to push a bit on my heels. I just wonder if I still can go a lot higher?
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-07-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
In the video above you are still sucking the wake up with your knees.
If you would stand up at the wake you would get a lot more air.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-07-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
Jonathan, are your bindings moved all the way out on your inserts? Your stance looks a little narrow, and a wider stance will improve your stability. And you do not need to go 25 mph at that rope length, it looks way too fast. I ride 70 ft at 23.6 mph behind an 06 vlx, and I have no problem clearing the wake. From what I can see (and if I'm wrong, please step in and correct me), you seem to be taking a very fast edge into the wake. Try doing what is called a progressive edge, where you take a slower edge in at first and cut "progressively" harder until you are on your strongest edge at the wake. Do not let off your edge at the top of the wake, and you should be able to pop a lot higher, instead of using the speed to get across the wake. Taking a much shorter approach at the wake can help with this too, because you dont have the time before the wake to get up to speed. Try cutting out half as far as you do now, and slowing down a little bit.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-07-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
Keeping the legs straight is easier said than done! On the video i actually try to push... But, like ben said, i'm maybe going too fast, and that could be why it's harder to push on my legs. I'll try slower, but with more edge.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-07-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
yeah, definitely slow down the boat. you want the wake to be capping and whitewash right by the tail of your board.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
jonathan like ben said slowing down is the key . both boat speed and your approach to the wake.come in slower there will be much less line tension that will enable you to stand tall and lean back and push your hips towards your toes and your chest up. all these motions should straighten your body up as you cross the wake.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-07-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
You have very little tension on the line when you hit the wake. Line tension shoots you up. Much easier to control line tension when you start 5-10 feet out . Handle at least 12 inches lower and 12 inches closer to the body and hands a little closer together. The farther you start away from the wake the slower you have to make your cut it all hapens slowly out there you don't really need to buuild up your speed untill the last 5 feet when your building the most line tension up. Think of yourself as the queen Mary [big slow boat] when you start out in the flats.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-07-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
JOHN [fly135] and BEN WILCOX yesterday i measured out 90' of line no weight in the boat and cleared the wake by an extra 2' AT 23MPH .
It seems to me that @ 90' and 23mph you would have an insanely wide wake. I believe you can measure the rope so I have to wonder if you are really going only 23 or your boat has a narrow wake. Either that or maybe you are charging the wake for speed instead of any useful kind of jump. Guess I'd have to be there, cause it just doesn't compute.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
It seems to me that @ 90' and 23mph you would have an insanely wide wake. I believe you can measure the rope so I have to wonder if you are really going only 23 or your boat has a narrow wake. Either that or maybe you are charging the wake for speed instead of any useful kind of jump. Guess I'd have to be there, cause it just doesn't compute.
john the wake is about 30 feet wide. you are right i have to charge the wake,but technique is involved since the wake is maybe 1 foot tall. you have to get pop to go with speed.i have to get someone to operate the camera because it's just me and the wife and she isn't in 100% agreement with this so it's my baby to get it done. labor day weekend everyone just wanted to party so this weekend i'll get some young guy to film it and show me how to transfer it to compter . i'll do both 90 feet and i'll try 100 feet also.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-07-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the help guys. Videos of you jumping might also help me understand quickly, if you don't mind of course.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
jonathan i'll add a stock wake 21 mph 70' jump in the sky 180 into the flats for you . that way you can see what technique will do height and distance wise. and yes even at 70' my wake is almost twice as wide as the wake in your video.all this talk doesn't mean anything special.i'm just trying to get across a point about technique and confidence[which is ain't scared] part of the equation.
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-07-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
Robert is my new hero! I hope you can get that jump on video and show all the doubters!
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-07-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
Jonathan B

Good luck but then, I wouldn’t have too high of expectations about being successfully coached through this on the Internet. Ever been to a wakeboard camp? Everyone there personally paid good moeny to be coached for better riding and yet so many, during that week at least, fail to make major improvements.

Heck ... once I watched when Bo Burton could have sold a Malibu (for the benefit of the dealership that loans the boats to the WBC) if he just could have gotten a young doctor up over any of three sets. Fail. It was the only time where I saw a coach let all the other students chime in and try their own personally-developed techniques for helping this guy who ... while wanting to get up ... was un-coachable in that respect (at that time). So fail for everybody. Ever have a new rider in your boat that defied every effort to be taught how to get up on a board? Over one day?, two days?, three or more? (Mostly these are nephews, nieces and in-laws that I have to spend this much time with).

All the good advice is a few general points which were already given above.

Jonathan B
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-07-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
Jonathan B, is that you?
Old     (s4fly)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-09-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
yes you are absorbing the wake as you take off.you need to pretend the wake is a diving board or trampoline. you know how you straighten and stiffen your body to get bounce same here thats why i say push off the wake also when you start feeling that you can slow down to 21-22mph. good luck.
this is your best answer you dont need a longer rope or more speed you may want to slow down to about 20mph and generate you own speed with an aggressive turn the wake will be a little fatter at the lower speed , right before you hit the wake flatten out so the bottom of the board smacks the wake flat do not ollie actually pretend that your trying to smash the wake with the bottom of your board and with the right timing you will POP!!! be prepared cuzz if yur not youll be rolling down the windows,and while your up there wave to the birdies do a grab and tweak it out and you can get higher and actually land on the wake ,concentrate on going up not distance ,
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-09-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
Do not, whatever you do, come off edge at the wake.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-11-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
jonathan b[espritv8] i got several video's done today. even though i had to deal with cool temps lots of boats and hard to get video volunteers.then after the 70 foot w2w 180 on a stock wake at 21 mph. when i lengthend the rope to 90 feet it broke. so i had to get out my other rope which is only 80 feet. since i only had 3 extra 5' sections i was only able to do 90' and 95' jumps.ben and john i wiil give it too you now, the wake at 95' wasn't as solid as i thought it would be. seemed soft at the top,so i don't feel as confident that 100' would be easy. but if it was on the line i think i could clear it . i will get video loaded to you tube and posted on monday. i'm not very good on computer stuff so my wife will help me.if any one still has doubts i can probably get volunteer to video rope measurement then me jumping wake and pan to speedometer all in one sweeping motion, but i think everyone that had doubts can see wake width and wake height and will see i'm not trying to decive any one.all this was about is to prove technique is involved no matter how wide or how small wake is. since no pros i have heard of use line lengths longer than 95' this should close the book on this chapter. i am in no way comparing myself to a pro.i would consider myself a beginner/intermediate.jonathan i can only hope that this video will help you in some small way. good luck
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-12-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
Well Robert, it looks like you have proven me wrong. I wont be a stickler about the whole measurement and speedometer deal, you have proven that a wake to wake at that length and speed is possible, and I apoligise for calling shenanigans on it. Thanks for seeing it through and keeping the competition friendly. Very well done, and I look foreward to the videos.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-13-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
well it looks like a little delay on the video. in our rush to leave the lake and get to my mothe-in-laws we forgot to bring the camera. but the good news is my wife said the camera is you tube enabled so so can do the video on you tube this weekend when we get back to the lake. man it sucks to get old. but she forgot too and she's younger than me.lol
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
okay guys after too much delay i have the videos uploaded to you tube . now all i need to know is how to make a link to them or load them to this thread.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-28-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
higher jumps=progressive cut in, really focus on bend of knees, then extend at wake. You should get booted (height) pretty good. But good handle control and eye focus to the shore will help too.
Old     (93rx7)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-29-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
okay guys after too much delay i have the videos uploaded to you tube . now all i need to know is how to make a link to them or load them to this thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBmRRxuR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpCPpoKksFc
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-29-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
^^Robert. If you go to YouTube and click on your video, when it comes up you'll see something that says "Embed". Click that and it will bring up a long line of characters in a small box. Select the whole code, and then right click and "copy". Come to WW and then paste that code into a Reply box. Then submit the post.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-29-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
Thanks to Bill S., I will help you out. (The first link does not work).

Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-29-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
Here's the 95 footer.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-29-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-29-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
thanks jeremy i can do it now . i will post others after i eat lunch. the one i posted is a test it wasn't meant for this thread. but i will post the ones that are supposed to get posted. thanks again JEREMY and BILL S.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-29-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
JONATHAN B this is the video of the 70 foot 21 mph stock wake jump hope it helps

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-29-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
here is the 95 foot 180 attempt. i will get this one next time.

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-29-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
here is the 90 ft 23mph stock wake h/s jump with room to spare.

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-01-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
jonathan have you tried the wake jump again?did the video help any?
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-01-2010, 8:01 PM Reply   
Yes, the vids are a good help, but up here in quebec it's pretty cold. I might go out another couple times, and try to improve with all your good advices.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-01-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
Great vids by the way!!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-01-2010, 8:18 PM Reply   
yeah i'm new to the video and transfer to the computer. i will try to get better quality on video next time,we have a hd camera. i must have missed a setting on the transfer. you can see i don't jump ,but push off the wake to get height. sorry this thread got into a discussion rather than help directed to you but as long as it's some help i feel like it was worth it. i enjoy helping other improve on their skills wakeboarding.HAPPY BOARDING!
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-20-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
I've slowed down the speed, got more weight in the boat, got the rope to 65ft, and now my jumps are higher than ever.

I edge hard, and keep good line tension, and i try not to absorb the wake. The only thing missing, is how to land. I face plant every time or loose balance when i land on the other side. I tried absorbing the shock, but still, I can't manage to land properly.

Any hints on that??
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-20-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by espritv8 View Post
I've slowed down the speed, got more weight in the boat, got the rope to 65ft, and now my jumps are higher than ever.

I edge hard, and keep good line tension, and i try not to absorb the wake. The only thing missing, is how to land. I face plant every time or loose balance when i land on the other side. I tried absorbing the shock, but still, I can't manage to land properly.

Any hints on that??
More than likely you're getting your arms up in front of you and the boat is pulling you over. Keep arms in close to your hips.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-20-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
scanned the thread and i don't think this video has been posted, but either way it is a GREAT video to watch multiple times. check the other learnwake vids too
http://www.youtube.com/user/LearnWake#p/u/2/Ckkf840HZE4
it will also explain and show the handle to the hips thing along with standing tall against your edge vs just plain standing tall that chris mentioned above
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-20-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
to the OP,

Go watch some wake videos, watch the riders, pay attention to how they hit the wake. You'll get it. The more you watch the more you will pick up on the little things.
We can tell you to stand up off the wake 1000 times but until you see it you wont get it.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-21-2011, 9:03 AM Reply   
Awesome link for the vids.

When i jump, i pull the handle in, but maybe i'm pulling it too high. I guess i'll have to try to get the handle closer to my hips as Chris suggested.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-21-2011, 9:29 AM Reply   
Jonathan if you watch the learn wake video,kurt starts his cut into the wake with the handle low and at his lead hip.This creates muscle memory.If you make it a habit to keep the handle low and close to your body or lead hip it will become automatic.