Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-11-2010, 10:37 PM Reply   
surprised no one started a thread yet. just got done watching the first two games today. South Africa was gifted a draw. mexico had a goal taken away on a horrible call. hope the officiating is not going to be as biased to the home country like it was in Korea in 2002. Uruguay v. France sucked like I expected it would. what a horrible group that was to watch today.
looking forward to Argentina tomorrow, and of course US v England. Jozy's health and Gooch's health are going to be key in this game.

any favorites? I think if the Ivory Coast can get out of the group of death, they will do some damage. I also think Maradona is just crazy enough to be a genius and could lead them back to the title.

I would love to see a US v. Germany second round matchup. I think the US could take them this time around.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-12-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=ttrigo;1596160South Africa was gifted a draw. mexico had a goal taken away on a horrible call.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was def the right call. I also think Mexico were the lucky ones. SA missed 3 that should have put Mexico away.

France looked horrible. I think if anyone was gifted a draw it was them.

Last edited by JJ; 06-12-2010 at 6:47 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-12-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
Yesterdays second game was brutal to watch. Just finished the Arg. v. Nig. game. Messi just wasn't with it today. I thought Nigeria was going to tie it up in the end. They had some definite opportunities just couldn't finish. I agree with Jessica though on the Mexico call. Lets go USA!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-12-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
"I thought that was def the right call"

so you thought that the two mexican players who were clearly three yards ball side of the south african defender who was basically on the goal line were offsides? wow. I hope I misread your sentence.
Old     (mnwakepuck)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-12-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
It was the right call. I don't really know soccer/futbol but watching the highlights it was said that the goal keeper was the one that would have an effect on the offsides. He came out beyond the mexican players so it was offsides. Again, I don't know the rules all that well but the analysts commenting on the highlights thought the call was 100% correct.

Last edited by mnwakepuck; 06-12-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: adding
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-12-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
"A player is in an offside position if he is in his opponents' half of the field and is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the next to last opponent."

In layman's term, you need two opponents between you and the goal before the ball is touched and you are in the play. The goal keeper came out. Leaving one defender in the goal. The ball was touched at the goal area and the Mexican player that scored had the one defender between him and the goal.

Clearly offsides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQEcK4E4boQ

Last edited by bigdad; 06-12-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-12-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
enough with the Fing airhorns, DAMN
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2010, 6:38 PM Reply   
The US were gifted a goal today courtesy of Robert Green. Great result for US.The crazy thing is 30 minutes before the game nobody knew who Capello was playing in goal. The Brits are pissed. As the press said once before Yanks 1 Planks 1. "Calamity" James will be between the sticks come Friday that's for sure.
Problem with Eng is that the sum is not greater than the parts. With the US it is just the opposite.

And A.P. you have the offside rule spot on. Great call by the linesman.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-12-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   
I guess I stand corrected. funnily enough, 25 years of playing the game, and i never was in the situation where the goalkeeper was not the last line of defense in an offsides situation. at least myself and the announcer both felt they were clearly onsides at the time.

the US can definitely thank Robert Green for todays gift. although, he did save them the embarrasment of a loss by making a great save off of altidore in the second half.
I would have liked to see Herculez Gomez make an appearance today. I hated playing against him in club several years ago, but the guy has mad skills.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       06-12-2010, 7:55 PM Reply   
I couldn't believe the announcers in the mexico game didn't pick up on the offsides call, you're announcing soccer at the world cup and you don't know that its the second to last defender that effects offsides? not just the goalie....

and yes Wes, those airhorns are ridiculous, i'd be pissed if someone was blowing that horn in my ear all game long.

what a gift from Green today, crazy
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Just to add to some of this. Yes it was offsides, and until this was seen the world round I'm sure most officials would have not called it, and the goal stood for nearly any every youth-league team through high school and college. A lot of other factors helped that, if it would have touched (may still have) a defending team player, NOT offsides. If it wouldn't have touched anyone and curved to that man now standing in offside position, NOT offside as the ball was kicked from the goal line, therefore that is the line of reference used for the offside line until the ball is touched. Very lucky, good call and catch, but having played my entire life as well as ref'd, that's just a rule working out in favor for bad coverage of a defense.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-13-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/w...here?GT1=39011
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-13-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
I think it brings a unique quality to the games. FIFA knew about them before they awarded the tourney to south africa. if they thought there were going to be such an issue, they should have made a point before the tourney started that they would only be allowed in the stadiums when south africa was playing. just let it be, and deal with it.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-14-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
S.A. is making a lot lot lot of money off of those things.

Mexico WAS offsides, great call.

USA did get really lucky with that goal... but in the last ~5min + stoppage I thought they were going to put another one in... they had a handful of chances and it would have been awesome to see a go-ahead goal in the last minutes.

Next game is a big one for the USA now this England is over.... if they can put 3 points they'll almost be certain to advance
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-14-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
http://deadspin.com/5563011/usa+engl...lego-treatment
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-14-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Unfortunately I've been on a houseboat the last few days and only was able to watch the second half of the US game. Looking forward to catching up tonight. Who liked the dodge commercial before the US match?

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-14-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
Who liked the dodge commercial before the US match?

best...commercial....EVER!

the dramatics of the players crack me up. they act like they broke their leg in 5 places...then all of a sudden, they're up and playing again. i'm so glad they give out yellow cards for flopping!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-15-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
The Kiwis earn there first World cup points ever! Happy Days. Italy Next!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-15-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
Great late goal for the Kiwis! Congrats Darren, that was siiick!

Ivory Coast - Portugal was incredibly boring. Portugal needs to kick it up a notch and are lucky to not lose that match.

Last edited by stephan; 06-15-2010 at 2:31 PM.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-15-2010, 5:12 PM Reply   
"Ivory Coast - Portugal was incredibly boring. Portugal needs to kick it up a notch and are lucky to not lose that match."

agreed. I think Drogba coming on as a sub was a nice little boost, but you can tell the cast is bothering him.

congrats to the kiwis! good for them.

Brasil and kim jung il was a decent game to watch, if you like watching brasil play. Brasil's left back, michel bastion I think is his name, is the most impressive player I have seen so far.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-16-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
I can't believe Spain just lost to the Swiss. Spain was on the attack significantly more even rattled a couple posts. Group H just got shook up!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
Very funny and very not work safe language: http://deadspin.com/5564294/your-bel...e-to-world-cup
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
heavy, the spaniards going down against the swiss shocked me as well! weren't they the favorites to win it all?

france v mexico looks good. so far, mexico looks more aggressive. we'll see if it pays off.

can't wait for the US game tomorrow! go USA!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
ok, i'm no soccer expert by any means, but i'm confused about something. why are some free-kicks allowed to be kicked directly on goal and some aren't?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2010, 4:39 PM Reply   
in the spirit of the world cup: http://tinyurl.com/27n43jq
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-17-2010, 5:21 PM Reply   
Almost all free kicks outside the box are direct ie you can score without the ball having to touch another player first. Most indirect free kicks occur inside the penalty box. If the keeper picks up a back pass,holds onto the ball too long etc,etc. If a free kick is awarded in the box for something more serious it is a penalty kick.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-17-2010, 5:55 PM Reply   
I friggin LOVE world cup. Today I went to watch the Argentina/South Korea game at a Korean food market w/ some friends. Game was at 4:30am but the place was friggin PACKED full of people (~200 or so) who were wearing red shirts and banging thunder sticks that were passed out before the game. Too bad they couldn't tie it up in the 2nd half because it would have been awesome to everyone go nuts again. Then we headed in to a taqueria for the Mexico/France game. Not a fan of either team but the atmosphere was great. My ears are still ringing a bit. Girls are loud.

Side note, that first Mexico goal looked pretty offside. His feet appeared to be onside, but his body certainly looked offside. What's the deal here? Maybe the USA feed showed better angles of this? It's been a LONG time since I was a referee so I don't remember what the exact rule is here. Anyone?

Can't wait till tomorrow!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2010, 6:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
ok, i'm no soccer expert by any means, but i'm confused about something. why are some free-kicks allowed to be kicked directly on goal and some aren't?
Certain fouls get indirect, certain fouls(worse) get direct.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-18-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
Wow, the US sure like to allow early goals
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-18-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLL! all tied up
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
Man, I just saw that. Pretty tense right now.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-18-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
Only listening but sounds like we just got ripped on that one...
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-18-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
US got hosed big time on Edu's goal.

Why won't the US play with the intensity they had in the 2nd half?
Old     (oldmansteck)      Join Date: May 2002       06-18-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
US is going to have to be England's biggest fan moving forward.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
Ref had a mare. Some bizarre calls against the US and that's without the disallowed goal. I think the linesman made the call on that though. Still the ref could have overruled the flag. He was right there. If he didn't award the goal it should have been a penalty. Defenders cannot envelop players in a bear hug.
Ref was a nightmare. At one stage that top pocket was like a toaster. Those yellow cards popping up every few minutes.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-18-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
That was the worst officiating I have EVER seen.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-18-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
Did you see the Germany v. Serbia match? We got lightly hosed by the ref compared to the Germans.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-18-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
I watched both morning games and while I do think the Germans got hosed, its pretty hard to say sending a man off with a second yellow card is worse than disallowing a goal. The German game was a tale of two halves, zero consistency on calls and honestly a fairly lackluster German attack (likely due to being down a man). I really wish the US could start strong, they were the better team but took 35 minutes to play like it, so frustrating.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
I never saw the german sending off but the way they played the 2nd half they deserved a share. First time I have seen a German miss a penalty. Ever!!

As for the US. Leak far too many goals. I think it's something like 21 WC games without a clean sheet. You cannot concede so easily. And early as well. I think Eng will win their remaining 2 games so the US have to win well against Algeria. And if possible,not concede.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-18-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
worst officiated game so far in that US game. how can three US players being bear hugged in the box, and not one be called for a foul? disallowing Edu's goal on the same play is purely awful. US needs to do better on the defensive end though. letting the opponents best player have 7-10 yards of free space 25 yards from the goal is horrid.
would like to see Buddle get the start up top next game with Findley having to miss it because of a horrible yellow card given by the ref.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
Can FIFA take the Yellow card away like the NBA did with technical fouls?

The allowance of shoving in the box was ridiculous, either let it all go or stop it at the beginning. I think the message to Refs to card more often has gone to their heads. It was that Ref's first WC match, what a doozie
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
Man England suck. Their parts are just way better than the whole. Great result for the US.And Algeria.

And Fifa don't take cards away. Very,very seldom. Undermines the ref and Fifa for appointing him. They need the perception of their perfection to remain intact.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-18-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
the more I watch the replay, the more pissed I get. unbelievably horrible call. and englad do suck. they remind me of france right now. some great players on the field, but no sense of teamwork whatsoever.
Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-18-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
That was a shocker by the ref in his first WC game.
I still don't get why we play a 4-4-2. It is the worst system to play. Thank god they changed in the 2nd half, but if we come out again against Algeria in that 4-4-2 we will not advance. Have Altidore alone with Lando and Demp under him running off.
GO USA!!!!!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-18-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
CJ - I dont think altidore has the experience at this level to play alone. I think he does his best when he plays off of another striker. not sure the system he played in with his club side, but he was far from impressive with them this year. I am expecting good things from Buddle (hopefully) and altidore in the next match.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
If this WC has highlighted anything it is how weak English football is. The English premier league is not English soccer Supposedly world class midfield players like Lampard and Gerard are looking pretty ordinary now that they are not at their respective clubs being surrounded and bolstered by the very best non English talent money can buy. Even Rooney looks poor. Although In fairness I don't think he's fit.

WC's are normally won by teams with outstanding midfield players. Creative players who appear to always have time and space and have an innate ability to split a defense with one pass.Iniesta,Xavi,Fabregas,Sneijder,Messi. Those are the kind of players that win you WC's.

The days of hoofing the ball upfield for the flick on are gone. At this level anyway. Defenses are too well organized for that.

England could well be going home come Wednesday.

I think the standard of soccer has been pretty ordinary at best. Hope it gets better.
Lol,I think the so called "top teams" have realized that they are not going to "cruise" past anybody.There are NO easy games.
Except for SA, who would not have qualified anyway, had they not been the hosts.
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-19-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
I also agree that England looks very weak. I don't think that shows that English players are not world class players just because they aren't doing well in the world cup. I think it all has to do with them being completely unorganized and very over confident. Every world cup they go into it with people telling them they are one of the best teams in the world and they have a chance at doing well. Every world cup they come in and play like 11 individuals.

Rooney is not fully fit but I am still not happy with his play. But in all fairness he maybe sees the ball 4 times the whole game and they aren't in scoring positions. The reason he has great seasons at united is because they look to get him the ball all game long. The team in centered around his style of play. With England everyone is trying to be the hero themselves so they don't want Rooney to steal the glory in my opinion.

The world cup has shown quite a few things. Wesley Sneijder is probably the top center midfielder in the world. There needs to be much stricter policies when picking the refs. The goal keeping we have seen has been amazing from some seemingly no name goal keepers. Last the world is catching up to the recognized top countries in the world.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
England looks weak, but they aren't meshing well as a team. I feel that almost anyone on that team that isn't between the sticks and isn't Heskey could be a world class player in any league. They just aren't jelling well. Crouch needs to replace Heskey for sure, he may look like a gangly NBA reject, but the man can score.

The 4-4-2 works well for the US. We tried a 4-4-1 with Dempsey as a CAM in the first friendly, and after the half we switched to a 4-4-2 moving him back into the midfield and he netted. Jozy needs a speedy strike partner, but can't play alone in a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-5-1 (which is why I kinda see Findley as an okay inclusion, he's like Charlie Davies but a much worse finisher). I have been VERY pleased with the contributions of the US Strikers though. Gomez created that second goal by drawing the defender off of Bradley's run, and that was crucial. I hope to see him as a regular sub with Holden and Torres soon.

Let's beat Algeria Wednesday for god's sake.
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-19-2010, 6:47 PM Reply   
I think Buddle needs to start. He is clearly in form. Has not done much of anything. It wouldn't be bad to have to large forwards that can hold up the ball. Buddle will put his chances away. Please Bob play Buddle he won't let you down.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-20-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
"I don't think that shows that English players are not world class players just because they aren't doing well in the world cup."

Bizz,I respectfully disagree with you. The WC is exactly where world class players perform. Shining at your club does not make you world class. And Lampard and Gerard have failed time and again. At WC's and the Europeans. Capello does not know how to get the best out of Rooney either. The weight of a nation is resting on him and it is proving too much. I disagree that other players do not want him to perform. When he is off,the whole team is off. They need him to perform They feed off his energy and he needs to be scoring goals.Heskey is cr@p. I don't think he has scored for about 5 years. And as for the "Crouching tower of Peter".................???

Rooney needs to play as a lone striker. And Joe Cole needs to play as well.Ferguson knows exactly how to use Rooney. In fact he has been over used and looks fatigued.

There is a very real chance of england going out on Wednesday.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
Go the mighty Kiwis. Stunned we give the two fingers to the Italians! Classic moment when in the 90th minute we bring on a replacement who is a bank teller.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-20-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
it's too bad yellow cards can't be reviewed (during or post-game). kaka was screwed today w/ his 2nd yellow of the game by some fine theatrics.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-20-2010, 9:13 PM Reply   
heard the ref from the US game is being sent home. thank goodness. if he had commited that atrocity against a south american team, he would probably already be dead. (on another note, make sure you catch the 30 for 30 this tue night on ESPN. it is about the columbian player who was killed after his gaffe against the US in 94)
sad to see Ivory Coast play so poorly today. but at least the Italians and the french are in complete disaray. the french are dealing wtih major karma for the Henry handball against Ireland right now.
congrats by the way Darren! the all whites (I would have changed my name before playing in south africa, but thats just me) are putting on a fine showing this year.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2010, 9:35 PM Reply   
They are not the prettiest team to watch but they are determined, play with lots ticker and won't take a dive and roll around on the deck like a bunch girls.

All Whites is a historical name to contrast the "All Blacks" rugby team. Pretty sure most South Africans "get" the the name because they have a long pedigree in rugby and loosing to the All blacks. Ha ha.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-20-2010, 10:14 PM Reply   
I think it is amazing that your team with most "semi-pros" qualified for the cup, and has been successful so far.
I know the history of the name, I just find it amusing.
could not agree with you more about the rolling around after a phantom foul. one of the reasons I appreciate the american side so much as well. the celebrations are not as long, nor do they roll ten yards holding their face after getting a little bump. stuff like that is one of the reasons I stopped playing. too much darn drama!
Old     (no_tools)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-20-2010, 10:22 PM Reply   
very true train. i just hope my portugese side playes like they can. forca portugal. also to be a very good team you need players and a lot of luck. which brazil had today. oh well its still 3 points
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-21-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
pretty sure the portugese played up to form today. yikes.
I just hope that the north korean coach makes it home alive.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-21-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
Darren you obviously did not watch last years Tri Nations? Or this years Super 14 for that matter.

Spain should have won by half a dozen today. Man,they had so many chances.Really strong team if Fabregas cannot even make the starting 11. This is a guy who they want around 80mil for.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-21-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
Does anyone see a way that Brazil doesn't win it all? I know it takes a lot to win the tournament but to me, Brazil has looked the strongest of any team.

Chris, what is going to happen if England doesn't advance? Will BP tell us we are on our own?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-21-2010, 4:05 PM Reply   
chile doesn't look too bad either.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2010, 5:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xistential View Post
Darren you obviously did not watch last years Tri Nations? Or this years Super 14 for that matter.
Oh....... Yes, I did watch but assumed that no body else did! I have serious doubts the All Blacks will do any better this year to be honest
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-21-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
Honestly I wasn't to impressed with Chile. An attack minded team that can only score one goal when a weaker side plays with 10 men for an hour? That should of been a much higher scoreline.

Agree about Spain though, Torres blew a few chances, and the finishing was poor from everyone but Villa. I swear I got a chub watching that first goal. Absolutely gorgeous.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-22-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Annnnddddd Rest in Peace South African National team. They become the first host nation to not make the knockout stages in the history of the world cup. Very sad.

However, to the French, good riddance. You shouldn't of even been there in the first place. Have fun trying to explain your failures to your fans back home.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-22-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
A couple of really good friends are from Dublin... They are loving the Frenchie WC debacle.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-22-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
I love the fact the french are going home in shambles, and completely shamed. its too bad South Africa could not put a five spot up on them, and have mexico sent home as well.
tomorrow is going to be absolutely ridiculous. I cant decide if I want to go to a pub to watch both games at the same time, or stay in my house and flip back and forth. sadly, this may be my last chance to catch a US game in a public setting this summer, so I may head to the pub.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-22-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
I was rooting for Bafana Bafana to whip the French and knock out Mexico. Guess i'll just have to wait for Argentina to take care of them
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-22-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
Looks like North Korea has a chance now, tied 1-1. I have mixed feelings about them. I hate to give Kim Ping Pong, the leader, and their government anything to be proud about, but I feel for the people and hopefully it'd keep the players out of the concentration camps when they go back home if they win one.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-22-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
Pretty sure North Korea is already eliminated. I believe South Korea is playing at the moment.

It was amazing to see how poorly the French played. Looked completely outclassed by the South Africans. Good riddance.

I thought Argentina was a power and Greece is holding them scoreless. I guess thats what I like most about WC, its all about the team that shows up that day and upsets are common.

Go USA! I want to see Gooch bury a header, he needs to a boost to get his game up to par.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-22-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
I thought Argentina was a power and Greece is holding them scoreless. I guess thats what I like most about WC, its all about the team that shows up that day and upsets are common.
2-0 lead for argentina
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-22-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
soccer is all about patience, timing, and luck. especially at the world cup. argentina was just waiting for the right momen to strike. messi dominated that game in the second half. lots of chances barely being missed.
see Nigeria for luck being a big part of the game. talk about bad luck. missing two very makeable opportunities means they go home early.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-22-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
Stehan I thought BP had already made that clear?

First time I got to see Argentina today and they looked good. Greece is very tough defensively. Brazil didn't really impress me. Brazil,Argentina,Spain - the teams to watch. And Germany always put on a decent show at the WC. England might even come good. Wouldn't put money on it though. Rooney has to fire for them. Hope the US top that group.
And Train - I think luck plays a very small part. Especially at the WC. You might get a slice of luck in one game or another but you are not going to luck your way to the trophy.I remember one of the England players at the last WC said after one of the games - "we didn't play that well but we won and if we win the WC playing badly who that's ok with us" On no. You do not win the WC playing badly. You might stumble through one game but not 7!!

Argentina, Spain, Brazil? One of those 3 is my pick.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-22-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
you might not win the cup by being lucky in all the games, but moving on from stage to stage can be all about getting one lucky call. heck, maradona made his own luck with his "hand of god" against your boys in '86. I would say that lucky play and the fact that the ref missed that call won them the cup even though that game was only the semi's.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-22-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
Maradonna's "Hand of God" goal was in the quarter finals. And I would say it was more outright cheating than luck.And even though I lived in England and follow English football quite closely I do not support England. I hate the fact that they feel they have a God given right to win the WC because they brought the game to the masses, I hope the US win their group tomorrow.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-22-2010, 7:17 PM Reply   
you're right, it was the quarters. I was only 11 at the time, but I remember the game, just not the round.
as for cheating, he did not get caught, so I call it luck.
since you are not an english supporter, do you support south africa?

can't wait for tomorrows games!!!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-23-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
damn, did the u.s. get robbed of another goal?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-23-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
Oh my god!!!!
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-23-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
Wow, Howard deserves a den of South African Hookers for that save and throw to set up that goal!!!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-23-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
Holy crap! What a game!!!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
glad I forgot to head into work today.... much rather stay home and watch the match!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-23-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
Great job US!!!!

Almost got robbed, again, but remained resilient.