Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    rullery            08-29-2013, 10:19 AM Reply   
A comment in the Rathy for Tige thread about Tige's key demographic made me think about boat brands and their perceived demographic. I'd like to hear more stereotypes for different boat manufacturers. All in good fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
tige sells boats to an older crowd, the 80's and 90's high school graduates, those who mainly drink beer on the water, like loud, barbed-wire, tribal styling gel schemes on their boats... who occasionally wakeboard but mainly surf...
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-29-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
Ahhh this should be fun.....
MB used to be mullet dudes... that has changed...
Tige has been dudes with tramp stamps.... that has changed...
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       08-29-2013, 11:09 AM Reply   
To state the most obvious, Mastercraft customers are often perceived to be guys who have more money than brains and feel that their boat is superior because of the brand name. This isn't always the case of course, but i've found it to be true on many occasions.
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-29-2013, 11:30 AM Reply   
^ Says the 20 year old kid. I will admit that Tige has made some serious strides in improving their brand. I am not familiar with MB so I won't comment on them. I grew up on Lake Norman and my family has only owned MasterCraft. So I am bias. For perspective the first X Star my parents purchased cost just shy of $35k brand new in 1999. That included, trailer, speakers, etc. No perfect pass, racks or lights. Considering a new X-Star is over $120k, and selling, I'd say that MasterCraft is doing a great job at targeting their niche. Even after the pricing for X Stars has jumped almost $100k. My parents currently own a X45 that has had ZERO issues in 8 years. Pretty remarkable if you ask me. It is also not a boat that sits on a lift all the time, it gets some great use.

MasterCraft, along with a few other brands, have excellent resell ability. There are people in this world that desire a MasterCraft, Nautique or Malibu and cannot afford a brand new one, so they wait a few years to get exactly what they want. So don't assume that MasterCraft owners have more money than brains and that the name brand makes it superior. MasterCraft owners pay for these expensive boats through hard work and I am sure the purchase of $100k boat is not a splurge purchase. They go through the same trials and tribulations that other buyers go through. And if you are implying that MasterCraft builds an inferior boat compared to the market, I would suggest you do some research. Stop making baseless assumptions just because you like one brand or the other.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       08-29-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuuh View Post
^ Says the 20 year old kid. I will admit that Tige has made some serious strides in improving their brand. I am not familiar with MB so I won't comment on them. I grew up on Lake Norman and my family has only owned MasterCraft. So I am bias. For perspective the first X Star my parents purchased cost just shy of $35k brand new in 1999. That included, trailer, speakers, etc. No perfect pass, racks or lights. Considering a new X-Star is over $120k, and selling, I'd say that MasterCraft is doing a great job at targeting their niche. Even after the pricing for X Stars has jumped almost $100k. My parents currently own a X45 that has had ZERO issues in 8 years. Pretty remarkable if you ask me. It is also not a boat that sits on a lift all the time, it gets some great use.

MasterCraft, along with a few other brands, have excellent resell ability. There are people in this world that desire a MasterCraft, Nautique or Malibu and cannot afford a brand new one, so they wait a few years to get exactly what they want. So don't assume that MasterCraft owners have more money than brains and that the name brand makes it superior. MasterCraft owners pay for these expensive boats through hard work and I am sure the purchase of $100k boat is not a splurge purchase. They go through the same trials and tribulations that other buyers go through. And if you are implying that MasterCraft builds an inferior boat compared to the market, I would suggest you do some research. Stop making baseless assumptions just because you like one brand or the other.
Not sure why my age is relevant? Take it easy dude, I'm not knocking your brand. Just throwing out a stereotype of the typical Mastercraft owner.

This is getting good already
Old    rullery            08-29-2013, 11:47 AM Reply   
Easy, Matt. I want this thread to be in good fun, it's about owner stereotypes so try not to be offended. If you are confident enough in your ownership you shouldn't need to defend your position. Every type of owner will get mentioned so we are on an even playing field. Like a Roast, or something
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-29-2013, 11:48 AM Reply   
In general these days (i think all these boats are awesome but for a comedic analysis of the owners here)

Axis-I have more skills than cash.

Tige-Where did my 20's go? this will help!

MC- More Cash means more betterer, duh.

Moomba- I paid too little!

Supra- I paid too much!

Nautique- engineers and architects, need i say more?

MB- i cant decide if i want a malibu, or a mastercraft, oh wait, those cost how much?

Malibu- my wake stays clean until 14.769 mph!!!

centurion- I think i can surf?

Sanger-Im so unique, psh.

Last edited by simplej; 08-29-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-29-2013, 11:55 AM Reply   
What about Epic?

Epic..............................

there you go
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-29-2013, 11:59 AM Reply   
^^^ Nice. I'm a Tige owner with a Axis attitude. Although I'm 32 now and wish I had my 20s back.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-29-2013, 12:00 PM Reply   
^^^ I'm also and engineer. Dude this is all messed up.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-29-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
Awesome simplej! ^^^^
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-29-2013, 12:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
In general these days (i think all these boats are awesome but for a comedic analysis of the owners here)

Axis-I have more skills than cash.

Tige-Where did my 20's go? this will help!

MC- More Cash means more betterer, duh.

Moomba- I paid too little!

Supra- I paid too much!

Nautique- engineers and architects, need i say more?

MB- i cant decide if i want a malibu, or a mastercraft, oh wait, those cost how much?

Malibu- my wake stays clean until 14.769 mph!!!

centurion- I think i can surf?

Sanger-Im so unique, psh.
Well done! Bang on!
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-29-2013, 12:41 PM Reply   
Cobalt - what is wakeboarding Buffy?
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-29-2013, 12:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuuh View Post

Can we list sensitive and no sense of humor under the Mastercraft stereotypes now?

This is supposed to be a thread of stereotypes, all written in good fun. Why so serious?

And simplej, your list is scary accurate.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-29-2013, 12:58 PM Reply   
Pavati - I want a boat no one else has
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-29-2013, 1:05 PM Reply   
Quote:

Supra- I paid too much!
And don't forget that the old-school Supra's (and Natiques) are "I can finally afford a boat that's not an I/O!!!"

Oh, and I have always thought it was so telling when the US Waterski Pro Tour used to make a stop in Portland that one of the MAJOR sponsors of the waterski tour was ROGAINE!!! So, that told me the demographic for the skiiers was "I'm in my 40's and am losing my hair but I have the disposible income (and vanity) to pay for Rogaine (and a tournament boat).

Oh, and I've never seen as many pairs of expensive sunglasses in one place (outside Vegas that is).
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-29-2013, 1:09 PM Reply   
As an Axis owner I would like to politely disagree with the stereotype. I have no skills and no cash.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-29-2013, 1:09 PM Reply   
"Malibu- my wake stays clean until 14.769 mph!!!"

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2013, 1:55 PM Reply   
Simple nailed it. Love it, especially the Malibu one!!!

here is mine from that initial thread after my Tige comment inspired this thread. Sorry, it is long, jealous that Simple could hit it so well in 1/10th the length.

Tige- already did that one.

MB guy #1-Same exact guy as the Tige crowd but didn't believe the sales pitch of "with TAPS you do not need ballast",(sorry Bruizza, I know this is getting tired, but it is funny nonetheless) instead he can appreciate the need for ballast, especially when it drains or fills in UNDER 60 seconds.

MB guy #2-A little older than guy #1, wanted a Mastercraft because everyone knows Mastercraft is the best. No inboard boat experience, coming from an I/O. Went to local MC dealer, test drove X-star (2011), thought it drove like a pig, saw the price tag, then noticed a "different looking x-star" on showroom floor. Confused when he saw "MB" on side, misspelled of "MC" maybe? Noticed price tag on the F-21 about half that of the x-star. Test drove it. Seemed to be just as nice, drove like a pig, assumed all wakeboats drive like pigs. Not a fan of the tribal flame pattern and had no idea what all the "X" badging on the gel coat scheme and in the interior is about, other than trying to look like an x-star to the uninformed, thought it should have been an "F" if anything. Bought the MB TWB for $50 and went with the classic plain gel scheme. (yes, the MB's now have added tracking fins and apparently drive better now...)

Mastercraft guy #1- Older crowd, has no budget, adult kids, got rid of his 34' yacht so his kids could do some wakesports. Wanted the best, everyone knows MC is the best, bought the most expensive boat in the line up with all the options. The new X-star.

Mastercraft guy #2- Older crowd, has no budget, got rid of his 34' magic with supercharged twin screws to enjoy some watersports. Wanted the best, everyone knows MC is the best, bought the most expensive boat in the line up with all the options. The new X-star.

Nautique - Has no budget, wanted the best, everyone knows Mastercraft is the best... except for those that have been in the industry, or paying attention, for the last few years and knows that Nautique is the best. Buys the G23... his friends (and kids) are pumped and start calling him more.

Malibu- Mid 30's, has almost no budget, used to wakeboard in the summer behind an I/O back when he was in school. First time out on a wakeboat was in his friends new Malibu (chances are high since Malibu is the best selling brand, I think?), loved the experience, it drove great, wake seemed nice, boat was very comfortable. Has no experience on any other wakeboat brand, Malibu is all he knows, and he knows he wants a Malibu.

Axis- Mid 30's, has a serious budget of $40k. Wants a wakeboard boat, used to wakeboard sometimes behind a bunch of different boats, might of even had an old direct drive ski boat or little I/O. Best experience wakeboarding was behind a friends Malibu. Went to go buy a Malibu, price was too high. Looked at 6-7 year old Malibu's and they were just over budget around $50k. Noticed Axis at the Bu dealer, saw the price of about $50. Drove it, felt and drives exactly like his buddies VLX and the used malibu's he has been looking at. Somewhat mechanical but does not have a lot of experience working on boats. Decides to go with the Axis because he feels better having a warranty.

Thats all I have... I have nothing for EPIC, Supra/moomba, or the rest.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-29-2013, 4:56 PM Reply   
axis... "dude I run 9,000lbs of ballast and burn like half a gallon per set"

tige... "my taps plate actually fills my gas tank!"

nautique ... "my g23 burns like 14 gallons an hour, but you gotta pay to play"
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-29-2013, 6:52 PM Reply   
Having owned both Malibu and MC boats and being active with both forums and dealers, I can say that both groups of people are great people that are passionate about their brand.

That being said, I do think MC has better fit and finish than Malibu. I also think that, taking the whole lineup of boats, Malibu has the better wave overall. If they makes me the stereotype for MC and Malibu, so be it.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-29-2013, 7:29 PM Reply   
Ah yes how could I forget epic!

"Dude-brah check out my transom dude brah"
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-29-2013, 7:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabonners View Post
If they makes me the stereotype for MC and Malibu, so be it.
Don't be so butthurt this thread is for fun
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-29-2013, 7:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Don't be so butthurt this thread is for fun
do you even know what butthurt means? I am not being butthurt.
Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-29-2013, 8:36 PM Reply   
Wait you mean I'm not really unique? That's why I bought my Sanger. Now I'm butthurt! LOL. simplej you nailed it. I laughed my ass off reading that!
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-29-2013, 9:12 PM Reply   
Tige - musicians who are drawn to rhythm.... aka percussion lovers.... specifically the cowbell
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2013, 9:22 PM Reply   
This thread is cracking me up. Popcorn in hand...
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       08-29-2013, 9:58 PM Reply   
Mastercraft = Microsoft

Nautique = Sony

Malibu = Apple post iPhone

Tige = Apple of the 80s-90s (pre-iPhone)

Skiers Choice = Google (lots of choices for everyone)

MB = Lenovo

Supreme = Dell

Axis = Mozilla

Calabria = Netscape

That's all I could think of.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-29-2013, 10:18 PM Reply   
Mastercraft-My boat is better than yours because it cost more. It also has more billet aluminum than fiberglass. Tows tubes really good from the tower.
Nautique-My boat is better than yours because it is a nautique.
Malibu-My boat is better than yours because it looks great, has a comfy interior and has a very consistant wake.
Supra-My boat is better than yours because Shane Stillman.
Moomba-My boat is better than yours because Shane Stillman and it was cheaper than most.
Tige-My boat is better than yours because it throws a sick wake with no ballast and at 90'.
Axis-My boat is better than yours because Chatt says so.
MB-My boat is better than yours because it throws a great wake, rides well in rough water and is built well but costs less than yours.
Sanger-My boat is better than yours because it uses wood which offshore racing boats use.
Supreme-I got nothing.
Centurion-My boat is better than yours because the enzo throws a sick surf wake.
Wakecraft-My boat is better than yours because Dan Dulong is the man.
Pavati-My boat is better than yours because it is built like an aluminum jet sled.
Epic-My boat is better than your because it has 1 million pounds of ballast, dual rudders and transom speakers.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-29-2013, 11:12 PM Reply   
^^^ That's a pretty dam good review Brett
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-29-2013, 11:59 PM Reply   
No boat = I have my own gear from riding for years, but I'm too poor to buy one. I'll ride whatever my friends have available and rock it like there's no tomorrow!
Old    Paxdad            08-30-2013, 3:52 AM Reply   
I am an engineer and have a Nautique "Correct Craft" if you want to get technical. Yes my boat is better than all of them because it is a NAUTIQUE!!!
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-30-2013, 5:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Mastercraft-My boat is better than yours because it cost more. It also has more billet aluminum than fiberglass. Tows tubes really good from the tower.
Nautique-My boat is better than yours because it is a nautique.
Malibu-My boat is better than yours because it looks great, has a comfy interior and has a very consistant wake.
Supra-My boat is better than yours because Shane Stillman.
Moomba-My boat is better than yours because Shane Stillman and it was cheaper than most.
Tige-My boat is better than yours because it throws a sick wake with no ballast and at 90'.
Axis-My boat is better than yours because Chatt says so.
MB-My boat is better than yours because it throws a great wake, rides well in rough water and is built well but costs less than yours.
Sanger-My boat is better than yours because it uses wood which offshore racing boats use.
Supreme-I got nothing.
Centurion-My boat is better than yours because the enzo throws a sick surf wake.
Wakecraft-My boat is better than yours because Dan Dulong is the man.
Pavati-My boat is better than yours because it is built like an aluminum jet sled.
Epic-My boat is better than your because it has 1 million pounds of ballast, dual rudders and transom speakers.
Ewwww this was weak. Try putting less effort next time and letting it flow more.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-30-2013, 5:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxdad View Post
I am an engineer and have a Nautique "Correct Craft" if you want to get technical. Yes my boat is better than all of them because it is a NAUTIQUE!!!
No no no that's what a MC guy would say.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-30-2013, 6:16 AM Reply   
MC owners are like Harley owners
MC/ Harley owner: My Harley is better than your bike because its a Harley
Me: My Suzuki has more power, is lighter, better brakes, better suspension, and will run longer requiring less maintenance.
MC/Harley owner: my Harley was made in America
Me: your Harley has just as many foreign parts on it as my Suzuki does.
MC/Harley owner: Well when i talk to people that know nothing about performance or motorcycles they are more impressed when i say i have a Harley.
Me; No argument
could not resist pi**ing off two groups of people at once
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-30-2013, 6:31 AM Reply   
Old    Paxdad            08-30-2013, 8:16 AM Reply   
Just to get the thread on the right track again....

There is Nautique and then all the others that just seem to gel/ morph together....that is what makes this thread so confusing. See the light people!!!!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-30-2013, 8:43 AM Reply   
Malibu - my interior has rounded edges, therefore its the best.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-30-2013, 8:59 AM Reply   
mastercraft... if it weren't for the censors on teamtalk my butt would hurt a lot more
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-30-2013, 9:25 AM Reply   
Wow simplej nailed it. Thread should have stopped then, some of these are just awkward.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-30-2013, 10:01 AM Reply   
Wakeworld- I root for my boat, and whatever boat is being compared to a MasterCraft.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-03-2013, 6:08 AM Reply   
for those that bash MC, have you owned one? Just curious as to what your experiences are with MC.....
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-03-2013, 6:29 AM Reply   
I've ridden in and behind plenty of Mastercrafts.Some owners praise them and some complain.To me there not any different owners than most other boat owners. Just paid more for more bling.Pick your bling level and you'll find the boat for you.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-03-2013, 6:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
for those that bash MC, have you owned one? Just curious as to what your experiences are with MC.....
please post a quote from this thread of anyone saying anything bad about the boats. LOL.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-03-2013, 6:44 AM Reply   
I own a Malibu, granted its an older one. All I got to add is, our next boat won't be a Malibu
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-03-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Ah yes how could I forget epic!

"Dude-brah check out my transom dude brah"
Hey, I've got way more speakers than that!

Actually, yesterday I had someone off the back turn down the volume on the rear speakers! Who would have thought! No one in the boat seemed to notice how loud it was, just sounded about right.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-03-2013, 9:24 AM Reply   
Simple pretty much nailed it. Brett was right on going by the Wakeworld board and I loved Rusty's because I feel the same way about Harley owners.

Wakeboats have evolved from being just a boat for people looking for high performance water sport specific machines to party boats and status symbols. The overall buying demographic has changed. As far as the stereotype battle. When I was selling Nauti and MC buyers were averaging 40yoa , Centurion buyers were averaging 25yoa. That in and of itself speaks volumes.

In the past 3-5 years I have seen more new wakeboats arrive on a lake I frequent than in the previous 10 combined. They are all easily at the 100k level. Predominately MC because there is no longer a Nautique or Malibu dealer near by. Every single one of these brand spanking new boats that showed up hav yet to ever pull a wakeboarder in the times i have actually seen them running on the water. I am not a weekend warrior and spend weeks at a time on the water down there so missing them during the week really isnt a valid argument. One guy has had 3 new MC's in the past 3 years. Have yet to see anyone strap a board on and take a set behind it. I have seen 3 tubes attached to the tower though regularly, but that is the most watersports activity I have ever seen done behind either of the 3 rigs he's owned. Couple new X10's and 30's on the water this year. Tubes from 8am -6pm and powerturns galore. Driven up to say hello compliment their boat, and just overall be friendly......... I got the nose up in the air, brush off of two words when asking them about their boat. Probably because mine just clicked 13 yrs old. There are several new Moombas there. (2) XLV's and (2) LSV's and a new Axis , Each one of those hits the water, rides, surfs, tubes and throws down. They have been friendly and always stop by when we see each other as I do the same. All the guys I see throwing down are on older or more moderately priced boats. They are also usually the guys with driving skills and the first guys to stop over on the water and say whats up between sets.

I will never slam anyone for using a boat for whatever they want. It's their money and they're having fun with it. I am just pointing out 5 yrs ago that would rarely be the case and now its more often the case than not. You never used to see a big 3 boat not towing a rider or skier. Now its commonplace. Wakeboats have evolved from being just a boat for people looking for high performance water sport specific machines to party boats and status symbols. The overall buying demographic has changed.

MC marketing is in your face these days. They make claim after claim of superiority and they hype they produce around their boats is one of a a kind. They do produce some of the best MFG videos to date. They def know how to sell their boats and get the appeal to new customers. I mean if you pop in a rewind video it will make you want an MC instantly. It will have you thinking Elite all the way. They also shell out the most cash to keep the Pro Tour sponsorship. That alone will sell boats and give them a certain claim to fame status. This is also why I think they take the biggest amount of slack on here. They pump out so much propaganda about being so elite at everything, people are quick to point out that they are not as elite as their marketing and some of their owners think. They have the same issues and in some years more issues than other mid range mfg's. Their QC and R&D has taken a step or two backwards while their pricing has taken 4 steps forward IMO. People with a clue in the sport and industry know you don't always need to spend 100k to get pro level performance, but the guys who went and popped off 100k don't want to hear that. Guys with 100k boats are also going to be just as quick to point out that the 100k they spent is indeed superior and anyone questioning that is a fool. I can rattle off at least 4 new MC owners that popped up on here after never owning a wakeboat before from any manufacturer. They then started spewing out the garbage the salesman told them all of a sudden now promoting the boat on that alone even before they took delivery. MC is all about bling , flashiness and standing out. I personally think MC brings on the critics itself with its marketing. While they're busy promoting boats that don't exist, making videos, and worrying about how to one up their next boat release party, other MFG's(some at much less price points) are equalling or passing them up on a straight performance level leaving them to playing catch up. And noone wants to admit that after shelling out $$$. While this site is focused on wakeboarding and MC def has those wakes dialed, that performance statement wasn't pertaining to wake boats alone.

Last edited by xstarrider; 09-03-2013 at 9:30 AM.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-03-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   
^^^ wow I actually agree with you.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-03-2013, 11:04 AM Reply   
Two thoughts:

1. I have a 2008 nautique 210 team bought used last year ($41k). I have spent plenty of time on my friends 2009 mastercraft, and it is every bit as good, and probably better made then the nautique.

2. I think many of the brands listed in this thread are great, but I ALSO think that if you spend more then like $60k on a boat you probably do have more money then brains. Where do I sign up? Can I trade some brain cells for some money????
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-03-2013, 11:29 AM Reply   
I think we spend way more than 60k on a boat because:

1: Brains gave us the income to support this kind of purchase
2: We'd rather go back to our 30's instead of 20's
3: There's something about staying in the penthouse suite overlooking the pool..

Stay in school junior, you'll get here some day!!! ..............Mastercraft X Star........
Old    cheesesteak            09-03-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad1Tai View Post
I think we spend way more than 60k on a boat because:

1: Brains gave us the income to support this kind of purchase
2: We'd rather go back to our 30's instead of 20's
3: There's something about staying in the penthouse suite overlooking the pool..

Stay in school junior, you'll get here some day!!! ..............Mastercraft X Star........
Actually - my brain leads to the income and security to realize I don't need a $100K boat. Being "able" to afford a $100K and actually buying a $100K boat are two different things - the latter not requiring brains . . .

Staying in the penthouse and overlooking the pool? I'd rather own the joint. But - you keep financing and renting, junior. I will tell you that none of the financially savvy "boat" people I know own one of these overpriced boats - notta one.

Whatever floats your overpriced boat . . .
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-03-2013, 12:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I will tell you that none of the financially savvy "boat" people I know own one of these overpriced boats - notta one.
Nobody, that is financially savvy, owns a boat
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-03-2013, 12:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Ok Cheezy...... If you have a 7 figure investment portfolio that produces an "X star" on a good day.. then you can play in this league.. Traveling as much as we do and so many awesome places to see and experience, why buy the place? Get out much?

We don't finance anything.. Cash only brotha........

You sound like one of dem der jealous high school educated small fries.......... lol!!!!!!!
Wait........What??!! Starting to understand why MC is getting bagged on now.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-03-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
Go ahead and buy the $100k boat, and it is depreciating $10k per year. So you are brilliant. Keep it clean so I can buy it for $60k in 4 years. Be sure to trade to get the new one..Didn't ya hear the bow seats have arm rests. YOU, NEED that!
Old    cheesesteak            09-03-2013, 12:44 PM Reply   
Oh - forget it . . .

Last edited by cheesesteak; 09-03-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-03-2013, 12:48 PM Reply   
At least not all of us are that ignorant.... or conceited
Old    rullery            09-03-2013, 1:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Ok Cheezy...... If you have a 7 figure investment portfolio that produces an "X star" on a good day.. then you can play in this league.. Traveling as much as we do and so many awesome places to see and experience, why buy the place? Get out much?

We don't finance anything.. Cash only brotha........
So Mastercraft owners =

?

Last edited by rullery; 09-03-2013 at 1:10 PM.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-03-2013, 1:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
I don't think you understand this thread.... this is all about stereotypes based on truths, half-truths, semi-truths, and flat out lies about the boats and the owners who buy them. All in fun, no one really cares about your mastercraft. And to answer your question... no, I have never owned one, but I tried to turn one once, it wasn't easy
Old    cheesesteak            09-03-2013, 1:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rullery View Post
So Mastercraft owners =

?
The first clue that he's all talk - is "If you have a 7 figure investment portfolio that produces an "X star" on a good day.. then you can play in this league"

Looks to me like he doesn't know much about investment portfolios or 7-figure anything. But - he is fitting very well into the stereotype.

Maybe add that to the list:

Mastercraft - likes to think they've got a 7-figure "investment portfolio" that produces X-Stars on good days.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-03-2013, 2:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
The first clue that he's all talk - is "If you have a 7 figure investment portfolio that produces an "X star" on a good day.. then you can play in this league"

Looks to me like he doesn't know much about investment portfolios or 7-figure anything. But - he is fitting very well into the stereotype.

Maybe add that to the list:

Mastercraft - likes to think they've got a 7-figure "investment portfolio" that produces X-Stars on good days.
It's a well known fact that people who actually have money, don't talk about their money. I am surrounded by wealthy people, and I'm talking real, generational wealth, and not one of them would ever consider talking much less bragging about a 7-figure investment portfolio.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-03-2013, 3:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
^^^ wow I actually agree with you.
I always knew you would come around eventually. Hahahaha

Seriously tho I am going to play the lotto today.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-03-2013, 3:14 PM Reply   
The irony of the MC owners' responses to this thread is awesome.
Old    cheesesteak            09-03-2013, 3:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
In the past 3-5 years I have seen more new wakeboats arrive on a lake I frequent than in the previous 10 combined. They are all easily at the 100k level. Predominately MC because there is no longer a Nautique or Malibu dealer near by. Every single one of these brand spanking new boats that showed up hav yet to ever pull a wakeboarder in the times i have actually seen them running on the water. I am not a weekend warrior and spend weeks at a time on the water down there so missing them during the week really isnt a valid argument. One guy has had 3 new MC's in the past 3 years. Have yet to see anyone strap a board on and take a set behind it. I have seen 3 tubes attached to the tower though regularly, but that is the most watersports activity I have ever seen done behind either of the 3 rigs he's owned. Couple new X10's and 30's on the water this year. Tubes from 8am -6pm and powerturns galore.
Like this?

Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-03-2013, 4:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Simple pretty much nailed it. Brett was right on going by the Wakeworld board and I loved Rusty's because I feel the same way about Harley owners.

Wakeboats have evolved from being just a boat for people looking for high performance water sport specific machines to party boats and status symbols. The overall buying demographic has changed. As far as the stereotype battle. When I was selling Nauti and MC buyers were averaging 40yoa , Centurion buyers were averaging 25yoa. That in and of itself speaks volumes.

In the past 3-5 years I have seen more new wakeboats arrive on a lake I frequent than in the previous 10 combined. They are all easily at the 100k level. Predominately MC because there is no longer a Nautique or Malibu dealer near by. Every single one of these brand spanking new boats that showed up hav yet to ever pull a wakeboarder in the times i have actually seen them running on the water. I am not a weekend warrior and spend weeks at a time on the water down there so missing them during the week really isnt a valid argument. One guy has had 3 new MC's in the past 3 years. Have yet to see anyone strap a board on and take a set behind it. I have seen 3 tubes attached to the tower though regularly, but that is the most watersports activity I have ever seen done behind either of the 3 rigs he's owned. Couple new X10's and 30's on the water this year. Tubes from 8am -6pm and powerturns galore. Driven up to say hello compliment their boat, and just overall be friendly......... I got the nose up in the air, brush off of two words when asking them about their boat. Probably because mine just clicked 13 yrs old. There are several new Moombas there. (2) XLV's and (2) LSV's and a new Axis , Each one of those hits the water, rides, surfs, tubes and throws down. They have been friendly and always stop by when we see each other as I do the same. All the guys I see throwing down are on older or more moderately priced boats. They are also usually the guys with driving skills and the first guys to stop over on the water and say whats up between sets.

I will never slam anyone for using a boat for whatever they want. It's their money and they're having fun with it. I am just pointing out 5 yrs ago that would rarely be the case and now its more often the case than not. You never used to see a big 3 boat not towing a rider or skier. Now its commonplace. Wakeboats have evolved from being just a boat for people looking for high performance water sport specific machines to party boats and status symbols. The overall buying demographic has changed.

MC marketing is in your face these days. They make claim after claim of superiority and they hype they produce around their boats is one of a a kind. They do produce some of the best MFG videos to date. They def know how to sell their boats and get the appeal to new customers. I mean if you pop in a rewind video it will make you want an MC instantly. It will have you thinking Elite all the way. They also shell out the most cash to keep the Pro Tour sponsorship. That alone will sell boats and give them a certain claim to fame status. This is also why I think they take the biggest amount of slack on here. They pump out so much propaganda about being so elite at everything, people are quick to point out that they are not as elite as their marketing and some of their owners think. They have the same issues and in some years more issues than other mid range mfg's. Their QC and R&D has taken a step or two backwards while their pricing has taken 4 steps forward IMO. People with a clue in the sport and industry know you don't always need to spend 100k to get pro level performance, but the guys who went and popped off 100k don't want to hear that. Guys with 100k boats are also going to be just as quick to point out that the 100k they spent is indeed superior and anyone questioning that is a fool. I can rattle off at least 4 new MC owners that popped up on here after never owning a wakeboat before from any manufacturer. They then started spewing out the garbage the salesman told them all of a sudden now promoting the boat on that alone even before they took delivery. MC is all about bling , flashiness and standing out. I personally think MC brings on the critics itself with its marketing. While they're busy promoting boats that don't exist, making videos, and worrying about how to one up their next boat release party, other MFG's(some at much less price points) are equalling or passing them up on a straight performance level leaving them to playing catch up. And noone wants to admit that after shelling out $$$. While this site is focused on wakeboarding and MC def has those wakes dialed, that performance statement wasn't pertaining to wake boats alone.
Could not agree more.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-03-2013, 4:59 PM Reply   
Hahahahaha.. Gotcha.......... Love bringing out the haters from the closet...

Never owned an MC but would like to.. Got one of those crossover boats.. "Tige"...

Dont' spit out Xstars on a good say either...

Figured you gents have nothing to do so I riled yall up.....

lmao!!!!!!!
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-03-2013, 5:02 PM Reply   
BTW cheesesteak...... Tesla stock (TSLA) is up a whopping 620% in the last 12 months....
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-03-2013, 5:03 PM Reply   
I have to admit, and I like mastercraft. Based on above I thought I would watch an mastercraft video. just to kind of compare with nautique video's, which of course are super over the top produced too. So i picked the new x2 http://www.mastercraft.com/boat/detail/x2

ya know what? there was no one old enough in the video (either in the boat or being pulled) to have worked long enough to save up to buy the boat....huge LOL. although the girls with the big ta ta's were fantastic!
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-03-2013, 5:08 PM Reply   
Anybody remember Lon's X80?

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...ghlight=flying
Old    cheesesteak            09-03-2013, 5:11 PM Reply   
Quote:

Never owned an MC but would like to.. Got one of those crossover boats.. "Tige"...
Seriously?

Quote:
I have an 07 Xstar and if both batteries are not charged up, the alarm will sound and get a chk engine on the screen.. When I rev up the engine I get 13.5 volts on the gage..
Quote:
My 07 Xstar has DBW.. The throttle by wire is perfect, but with stargazer engaged and if you throttle up slow, it becomes unresponsive.. If you power up normally it's fine..
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-03-2013, 5:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Seriously?
Same thought that crossed my mind.....
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-03-2013, 8:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Seriously?
I mean id like to think he was kidding, he was just giving me advice on my boat...
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-03-2013, 9:04 PM Reply   
In keeping with the theme there is obviosuly only two boat owners on this site

Those who own an MC

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 2124
Size:  112.0 KB

And those who don't

Name:  image-1.jpeg
Views: 2163
Size:  136.0 KB
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-03-2013, 10:06 PM Reply   
Nah.. your good Parker.. I do own an 07 X Star.. Started out with a DD Tige years ago.. Owned about 10 or 11 Wakeboats, pretty much every brand, till I was able to step up the ladder and pay for this fully optioned Xstar.. Getting ready to sell this one and pick up an 012..

BTW.. Did you accomplish the Replumb kit for the cooling system on that MCX motor?.. The Indmar EXTCAT manifolds are a grand a piece and will crack without the mod done. Let me know if you need the P/N's

Last edited by Pad1Tai; 09-03-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-04-2013, 4:50 AM Reply   
everybody is dogging on MC about 100k boats...MC, Natique, Malibu, and Supra can all hit suprass the 100k mark, I think Tige may even be there as well.

True wakeboarders only own Moomba, Axis, Centurion, Sanger, MB, Epic, and Supreme boats

when you are really hardcore you can buy a Gekko
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-04-2013, 5:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
True wakeboarders only own Moomba, Axis, Centurion, Sanger, MB, Epic, and Supreme boats
On the 3 lakes, that I go to. It always seems to work like this-

Moomba, MB, Epic, Axis- Never out in the AM. A lot of full throttle runs, up and down the lake, during the day, along with some surfing, and a lot of time at the sandbar. 4Pm, they load them up, and surf till about 8PM.

MasterCrafts- Skiers out at 5:30-6:00AM, Wakeboarders out at 8 am. Sandbar during the day, or idling around the lake. Surf from 4-6PM, Wakeboard as soon as the water calms down. (when the others stop surfing. Although, those guys are pretty good at staying out of the area that is best for wakeboarding. Except the Moomba guys, for some reason....)

Nautique- These guys ONLY hit the water for business. Skiers out at 5:30, Boarders out from 8-10AM. boat is put up for the day. Back out at 5PM for surfing until 6 or 7. Back into wakeboard mode. These guys are very watersport diverse..... All of them Ski, wakesurf, and wakeboard. They get along great because they aren't out messin up each others water. They all stay together, and switch modes together. These guys are the die hards. They hit the water a month before anyone else will. They go EVERY day. And they pull off the water a month after everyone else (They are out there from late April till November..... In Vermont..... Enough said)

Malibu- Don't see them out much in the AM, but usually cruising around with family during the day. Laid back, and just idling along. 5PM hits and they kick into waterports gear. Surf till 6 or 7, BBQ, and then a short wakeboard session at sunset. There are TONS of Malibu ski boats on these lakes, and I NEVER see them skiing..... With the exception of 2 families, that ski together, on one of the lakes. The lake, that I live on, must have 20 Malibu ski boats, and in 3 years, I have never seen one towing a skier. They are tube tractors....... That being said, I have never seen a Wakesetter towing a tube. Just the ski boats.

Tige- Sandbar. board racks full...... Maybe it is just a timing thing, but I have never seen a Tige pull anything. There are a few of them that hang at the sandbars, and they always seem to have plenty of boards with them. I am pretty sure that I am more likely to see Sasquatch, than to see a Tige tow.

Centurion, Supreme- Sitings are rare, however, when they are out there, they are towing.

Obviously the owner demographic is a little out of the ordinary here, but the most serious watersports guys, around here, buy the more expensive boats. If somebody here is a "True" wakeboarder (or general watersports nut), they buy a Nautique.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-04-2013, 5:49 AM Reply   
Where I ride you usually see every brand of boat and they are ALL pulling someone (at least the tow boats, the bass fishing boats owners are usually yelling at us or flipping us the bird). There is one red and white Moomba that pulls a tube but they do it in their cove and do not mess up the river water.

Most common boats seen are probably Moomba, Supra, Malibu, and Tige. But when you see another the other mfg they are all towing.

Heck even the pontoon boats pull boarders down here

Sent from my iPhone
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-04-2013, 6:02 AM Reply   
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that it's common knowledge that Sanger owners have enormous cocks!
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-04-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
Around me there is nothing for wakeboard boats. Of what I've seen, the old Stars and stripes and ski nautiques only come out for serious business on the river. Skiing at 6am, or 6pm till dark. My boat has been to our party cove 3x, of the 30x we've been out this year. Otherwise it's all dawn patrol or 6pm-9 just towing boarders. It's a ski supreme by the way. I've seen one local moomba towing in a nearby bay

Basically what I'm getting at is I have no useful information
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-04-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that it's common knowledge that Sanger owners are enormous cocks!
Thanks for proving it!
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-04-2013, 2:18 PM Reply   
Face it folks, Wakeboard boats are becoming the new family boat. We ski, surf, wakeboard, kneeboard, and pull a tube behind our X2. It keeps the family together and keeps the kids off the TV. Whats the big deal about pulling a tube? dang tube snobs.... LOL

For the record, I have found that most stereotypes for MC owners has been wrong. I think they are just passionate about their brand - much like a Porsche owner (or any other expensive toy) would be.