Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (sportydude)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-16-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
Hey guys...been a while since I've posted on this site! Hows everyone been waitin for the new season?

But to my topic...this xmas my rents are looking at getting me some new bindings and more wakeboarding stuff. But I'm not sure what ones I would like most. I currently still just have my stock HL ones on. I would kinda like to try some closed toe bindings, but what does everyone think about those? Don't they allow for better ts edge?

IMO I think Ronix has some sick equipment but I have heard they tear often? I've also heard some really good reviews on Slingshot stuff.

Also I don't have a shop around here, I went to the board shop at the mall in Lincoln, but they don't have any wakeboarding stuff really right now, obviously, because it is snowboarding season. So I don't really have much of a chance of going and trying bindings out. Thanks for the help!

(Message edited by sportydude on November 16, 2008)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-16-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
IF you're just looking for boots I would go with Liquid force or Slingshot.

I had some liquid force shane closed toe boots a while ago and LOVED them, they got tight, no pressure points, and super soft footbed....

Now I have Slingshot D2's and they are great, super easy in and out, the heat-moldable liner is awesome and soooo soft, very tight when laced down with no pressure points either.... best part is you can pull the liner out to avoid the boot stinking like old lake water.

Most companies these days make good stuff, but over the last 3 years I've owned Hyperlite, LF, Ronix, Slingshot, and Gator boots and BY FAR the best customer service is Slingshot. just make sure they are 08 or 09.... they made a lot of improvements over 07's
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-16-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
I like the CWBs The hinge gives me super heel hold... they got closed toe in the Zues and Answers
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-16-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
There is no question that Closed Toe is Here to stay. The arguments have come and gone and now it is just down to preference, which is why EVERY company out there offers them now. FOR those that have ACTUALLY tried Closed Toe Boots, I'd say that Most of them have switched to closed toe. There is a reason that most of the pros seem to think that way too. The MOST IMPORTANT THING is that you buy the best size that puts your toes right at the edge of the toe box with no cramping. Most of the stories of jambed toes are because an incorrect size of binding was used. if you have too much room in the toe box it allows room for momentum to build up in a foot sliding forward.

I second Slingshot for same reasons as Nick ^^^ ALSO something to consider about Slingshot is that the boots come in exact/individual sizes, instead of a range between two sizes. The only other boots that i know of that do this is most of the Hyperlite Murray and Byerly boot sizes AND some of the sizes for Gator's closed toe boots (10 and 11 sizes)
Because the liner comes out in the Slingshot boots, i was able to add a little bit of foam (just a thin foam footbed thing) to custom fit my size 11 D2 boots to feel more like a 10.5 (my foot size) This is something to consider too, just f.y.i.

BUT, best thing you can do is head to your nearest store and try on a few bindings of each company (granted, they won't have ALL companies') and get a feel of what you like. hop up and down with the boot on and rock back-and-forth and side-to-side to get a feel of what you'd like in stiffness/flexiness

good luck
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-16-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
also, i don't know how much CT really helps in edging, but they definitely make you feel more connected to the board. maybe it is more of a psychological thing?... But I LOVE it!
anyway, they DO, for sure help your toes stay warmer for late and early season riding ;)
Old     (sportydude)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-16-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice guys! I have been checking out bindings off and on today, but I looked at the D2 bindings...and, probably a really stupid question, but how do they bolt onto the board? It looks like the plate or w/e it is called is inside the boot or somethin? Idk how to explain it? But my main concern was how they will work on my 07 Hyperlite Logic? Thanks again!

Also, what is wrong with the 07 slingshot bindings? I looked at the reviews on here about the 07 Driver bindings and they didn't seem to bad?

(Message edited by sportydude on November 16, 2008)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-16-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
the mounting you prob say at the store is what would be used on only a slingshot or company board...in the box when you buy it is a converter plate that will allow it to mount to any board
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-16-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
The '07 boots are not that bad really, but it is WORTH it to get '08 boots

The 08 boots have an addition of a footbed besides that of the liner (more coosh!)

they are a bit lighter (not sure by how much though)

the liner is a bit better

The 08' boots have a better lace-pull that is not so bulky
----------------------------------------------------

Slingshot boards have a four hole mounting system as well as the standard two hole on '08 boards and later. But from the beginning slingshot has included an adapter plate for the standard mounting.

the two styles of plates are included in the box on purchase
Old     (sportydude)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-16-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
Alright thanks for more advice. I'll definately look into them more.

I also found a pair of Gator's bindings, Gonzalez ones on eBay for cheap. Anyone have any idea about these? Thanks
Old    dperizzolo            11-16-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
the gonzo's are a very light and comfortable binding. the only downside is that the plate provides for quite a bit of heel and toe lift on the board. i would suggest looking at some gator pros or some of the new gator bindings with the reinforced plate if you want go gator. they have a great line up this year.
Old    sdahockey21            11-16-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
The 09 Ronix boots are probably the best boots to date. Everything problem Ronix ever had has been fixed. The 08 Ronix is still awesome too. I ride the Ones and love them. 4wake.com has deals on 08 Ronix stuff. Worth a look
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-17-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
Your going to get lots of answers here. My two cents says sling shot or liquid force. I personally like the LF shanes.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-18-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
If you happen to have odd shaped feet like I do (wide fronts and narrow heels) you may want to consider the LF Vantage. In all my years of wakeboarding these boots have finally allowed me the performance and comfort I've been searching for. When you watch me velcro up I reef on straps one and two and just snug the toe strap up.
Old     (wakelatx)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-18-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
If your going to get 09 boots get them from ronix, no brand can even hold a candle to what they have for '09. Well take that back the ltd watsons are going to be sick but unavailable til february whereas the ronix are already available.
If you are looking at closeouts check out liquid force bindings they are very comfortable and durable.
Old     (sportydude)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-19-2008, 6:11 PM Reply   
Aight! Thanks for all the advice!