Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-14-2006, 9:42 PM Reply   
I need to ground my new amp and there really is not a place to ground this thing. Everything is fiberglass. Could you ground to the engine block? Run it back to the negative on the battery?

Thanks!
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-14-2006, 10:49 PM Reply   
neg. on battery is what most people use.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-14-2006, 11:24 PM Reply   
cool, that is what I was thinking.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-15-2006, 5:06 AM Reply   
Todd, you can do either. The negative terminal of the battery is connected to the engine block.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-15-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
engine block
Old    sammc_11            03-16-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
some boats have a plate to ground under the drivers dash
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-16-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
Ground as much as you can to the battery or block, if not you could creat ground loops (will allow noise to enter into your stereo system)with multiple amps.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-17-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
Technically there is no ground on a boat. Electrically speaking the ground is the conductor connected to the earth.

With marine electrical systems we need to think of things in slightly different terms. All of my stereo system electrical components connect to a junction block that is connected to the battery with 1/0 wire. This places all of the stereo's electrical components at the same voltage. What you want to avoid is your amps (-) terminals being connected to a different potential than your decks (-) potential. This is something that can cause alternator whine/noise.

My stereo battery bank is connected to the boat's charging circuit through the boat's factory battery via a combiner. If I had upgraded my alternator I would have connected the stereo batteries to the charging circuit at the block and alternator.

If you attach the negative lead of an amplifier to factory ground plate you are most likely overloading the factory electrical system. This would be the case with my system in my Nautique, my buddies Malibu electrical system was adequate for the addition of two 100W amplifiers.

My point is that this answer will change depending on the size of your alternator, size of your amplifiers (and lighting systems), and the size of the boat's factory mains.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-19-2006, 9:13 PM Reply   
Ok, I was just going to ground my one, 200 watt amp to the engine block. Will that work?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-19-2006, 10:51 PM Reply   
For a single 200w amp you could go block or battery which ever is most convenient (you are not going to be straining the electricals). It the battery is far from the block and you get engine noise you may need to switch it.

enjoy,

Mike