Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-26-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
What the hell, there's already a few tell me about threads

Lakes?Weather?People?Community?
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-26-2005, 11:04 AM Reply   
Lakes: Bullards - approx 40 min, Englebright - approx 15 min, Scott's Flat - 5 miles outside of Nevada City. Rollins - out of GV on 174 - guess 30 min. In my order of preference: Bullards (clearly), Rollins, Englebright, Scott's Flat.

Weather: I think GV is just under 2k feet elevation. Gets hot in the summer. NC is "up the hill" a couple of miles and is a couple degrees cooler. GV has a mix of pines and oaks. NC is getting into the more pine tree looking place. Snow is very rare in GV, and when it does snow it's light and doesn't last long. NC will get a few snows each season, but nothing much. It's right at the snow line so the places in hills above NC could get some snows that require some effort.

People / Community: Looks like a sleepy little town, but there's alot going on. Lot's of money moving up from the Bay Area. My in laws live there and they are very involved in the community. Great schools (in-laws are lobbying for the grandkids to move there). In my opinion GV is where you live day to day, NC is more of a tourist town. Both are cool for different reasons. Lots of people commute down 49 towards Auburn (and beyond). They have improved 49 over the years to make that easier.

Donner summit is just under an hour in the winter (with good road conditions)

My family has a cabin outside of NC and I've been going there all my life (40 long yrs). My outlaws have lived there for approx 14 yrs.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-26-2005, 11:22 AM Reply   
Bullards and Rollins are sweet!
Old     (wallaced)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-26-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
Nevada City is the coolest place in the world! You should definitely not move there, though... there are too many people doing that already! haha.

It's where I grew up and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. The lakes are amazing and the snow is just up the hill. There is so much to do if you're into the outdoors. Hiking, Biking, Wakeboarding, Skating (great skatepark that Chris Senn and his friends built), etc... Also, there's a great wake shop in town, called MRI. My high-school friend Jason Auld owns it and does a great job supporting his customers and the community.

Just my thoughts... If I could move Liquid Force there, I would... too bad everybody here is so into the beach...

Don W
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-26-2005, 1:42 PM Reply   
Thanks Guys,

Just what I was looking for. I am a bit concerned about the pot farms and granola aspect, but I think maybe I need to spend some time up there to really decide. The hard part is knowing that I will probably never make it back into san jose real estate.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-26-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
Oh that.....some granola sprinkled in. It is a small town in the foothills. "They" say, if mtn biking above NC off 49 between the North Fork of the Yuba canyon and over a ridge or two towards Washington, you should be careful of stumbling onto the other cash crops. I've never had any issues, but I've heard they are up there.
Old     (grimlock)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-26-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
If in grass valley don't go driving down any old dirt road just for the hell of it, people up there are pretty protective of the good old cash crops, did that about six years ago trying to find a buddies summer home, let's just say I won't make that mistake again. But GV and NC are both really cool towns, plus you have Folsom just down the 80, if you really want to go to that lake, and the Sac river isn't much further down. Lakes in that area are nice though.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-26-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   
hmmmm....good ol'cash crops....Grass Valley....where exactly is this place?
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-26-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
Northeast California. Just above Sacramento, our lovely state capital :-)
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-26-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
ask Ricky Williams, he knows.