Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (liquiddiet)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-30-2010, 5:50 AM Reply   
Hey guys just wanted to see what experiences everyone has had with manufacture warranties. Have other companies provided better service than others?

I have a 2009 Slingshot Recoil that i got in Sept of last year, that has cracked. The board was well taken care and never used on rails or done anything stupid with. I contacted Slingshot cust service, and we went back and forth for a few days. Basically since my board 17 days over the 1 year warranty they wont replace it. All they could offered me $100 off a 2010 Reflex, since they dont have a more Recoils.

So i am kind of torn now, i loved my Recoil, and my Slingshot kiteboarding gear for that matter, but i kind of feel slighted. I know its a business and they need to make money as well, but i was wondering what others experiences were.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-30-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
Different people have different experiences with different companies. Some of those companies chose to follow the letter of the law while others look more to the best interest of their customers and their image. I've had Hyperlite replace a board that was 5 years old before. I think they are known as being one of the more generous as it comes to "out of warranty" stuff. I know other people have had similar experiences though with other companies.

I think Slingshot is a bit tighter on their warranty items. I submitted a request for new lace locks as mine broke recently. I was surprised to have them come back and say they need to have pictures, full documentation, etc. just to replace a $.50 part. I've had to submit the same request to Hyperlite before and I had new laces, locks, and hooks without any documentation within a few days.

All that to say I think SS is a bit tigher with their warranty claims, but most all the companies have seemed to tighen up that aspect of their business over the past couple of years due to the economy.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-30-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
I just cracked my 09 cwb transcend on monday went back to Jeff at Wakesport Ranch where I bought it. He sent them pictures of the board. 20 minutes later I had a new board and was headed to the river. It helps to buy local you get a lot better support than buying online I think.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-30-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
Ronix - Awesome - I snapped my covin, called Ronix, they sent me the new Viva - which I received in 4 days. That was it.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
Not a board warranty, but my 09 Watson LTDs blew out 3 weeks after my warranty expired at the end of June this year (second pair of them after the first did the same). My local boardshop couldn't warranty them, so I emailed Liquid Force about how I could fix the bindings so they'd stop filling with water, and they covered the warranty. Unfortunately, they were out of the 2010 gear (or fortunately, since those air pockets also were blowing out) so they're giving me 2011 stuff when it comes in here in October. Pretty awesome company if you ask me. I mean, yeah, it's been kind of a long wait, but they covered the bindings out of warranty and it's 2011, so I'm not complaining. That was my personal and very lucky experience. I don't know about others experiences...
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-30-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
I'm doing all my buying of boards through Tommy's. They take care of you well on the warranty side and you don't have to worry.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-04-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
I'm doing all my buying of boards through Tommy's. They take care of you well on the warranty side and you don't have to worry.
THIS! They have replaced 3 boards and a pair of bindings for our crew in the past 2 weeks no questions asked. Hell they sent Ronix my 2010 Ibex and are giving me a 2011 Ibex when it comes in. Since the season isn't quite over yet they gave me a 2010 Ronix One to ride until the 11 Ibex comes in.
Old    Lmyers1            09-30-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
All my experience has been with Hyperlite but I purchase all my gear local. Had a surfboard crack and they swapped me out. Also had an issue with a Byerly Monarch falling apart, and they swapped that one too. Just buy local and you usually don't have to worry about anything.

The place I buy from is in North Spokane Wa. called The Shop
Old     (liquiddiet)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-30-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
Unfortunately the closet local dealer for wakeboards is a couple hrs away so doesnt make it to easy for me.

I did just notice Hyperlite gives you a 2yr warranty on their boards, interesting...
Old     (ridetige)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-30-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
I rode a 2010 Ronix Ibex 3 times and it broke. I called them and no questions asked gave me a new 2011 Ibex. they are awesome.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-01-2010, 12:50 AM Reply   
Got a Hyperlite Roam replaced with the help of some of the Hyperlite guys on here, they where really good. Still riding it!

Recently bought a Liquid Force Shane handle on boardsnmotion.com, thing just snapped within a month, had never been dropped or mistreated. And they refunded me for the handle, no problem pleasure to deal with so I'll buy from there again.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-01-2010, 1:04 AM Reply   
i'm curious; aside from asking for people's warranty experiences, did you hope that this thread will get you new gear for your broken gear that's out of warranty?
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-01-2010, 4:45 AM Reply   
I bought a pair of slingshot d2's back in june of 2009 and they broke late that summer, they sent me a new pair just on the pictures. In March of 2010 the replacements broke, I asked and they sent me a pair of PB's just on pictures again. The PB's lacing thing broke, another pair of them, and just two weekends ago the footbed seperated on them and they are sending me a pair of the 2011 bindings sometime this month.

I will say I have had the best customer service dealing with these guys and they make sure you are happy way down the line. GO SLINGSHOT!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-01-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
My 3 slingshot warranty experiences:

1: fin hole on the nose cracked through to the nose - it was my fault, I told them that - 2 days later I had a year newer brand new board (upgraded my 07 to an 08)

2. Original Driver boots lacing eyelet tore off - let them know - 2 days later I had a year newer set of D2s.

3. Smashed my 2009 Recoil hard - 4 days later (had to wait out a weekend) had a brand new recoil.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-01-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
Sounds like everyone has had pretty good experience.... so heres a BAD one.

I got the 2010 Ronix one(with grindbase) and the 2010 One bindings through my local dealer (TSR). I paid almost a grand for the setup. Naturally since I live in San Marcos im going to ride a little cable. I rode cable twice on that board. I rode it on boat maybe five times. Three weeks from the day i bought it..... IT BROKE, on boat on a scarecrow. I was livid.

I took it to TSR, and the warranty was void. I realize that they always say, if you hit a rail, the warranty is void. But come on, I had the thing for three effing weeks. I mean it has a grindbase, and you can hardly tell i have hit a rail. It broke on the inside of the boot, just like boards break when you break them on boat.

I sent Squareoneco an email and they still have not got back to me yet. I supported their company and my local dealer. I could have bought so many other things with that money, but instead i forked up the extra money and went local.

I'm pretty bummed out about it, but i guess at the end of the day.... I should not have hit a rail. Rules are rules
Attached Images

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-01-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Couple years back I broke a CWB Faction (the old one), I called CWB because the dealer I got it from had gone under. I was concerned because the next day I was supposed to ride for some photos from the inner-tube. They referred me to another dealer in the area and since I was up at the lake they ok'd a buddy to pick it up and bring me a brand new deck without pictures or anything. Once I got home I sent them pics of the snapped deck.
Old     (Mackie1356)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-04-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
I have also recently had a nightmare with board warranties. I bought a Byerly Conspiracy this May and made sure I did it through a UK shop/distributor just incase anything went wrong (even though it was more expensive and delivery was longer than doing it direct with the US).

3 weeks ago the board snapped just behind the rear binding when I landed tail heavy on a double up. I primarily ride boat and use an old deck for the odd trip to the cable. However on ONE occasion I rode the Byerly over a slider on a System 2.0 just to try the system out. This was my downfall. I spoke to the shop the day I broke it and expained what happened and to be fair as I was away wakeboarding for a week he did offer to send me a courtesy board to keep me going, however the hospitality ended here.

After sending pictures to the dealer and UK distributor all seemed to be looking good until I sent the board to the distributor. On seeing the tiny minute evidence on the bottom of the board that it had been used on a slider once (and I mean the evidence is minute, it could be forgiven for just normal wear and tear) the distributor changed its tune and claimed the warranty void.

Obviously I was slightly annoyed that a £400+ board I had bought 3.5 months prior was now f*cked and the UK shops/distributors whom I had tryed to support instead of going to the US were now fobbing me off. What I mean by 'fobbing me off' is that the distributor accused me of LYING to them of how the board had been damaged claiming I had clearly snapped it nose/tail pressing. Nice. Additionally they went on to describe how that one slider hit had damaged the integrity of the board which had led to the snap which is the same as, according to them, dropping the board from height onto concrete. All this was delivered with an aggressive tone of voice and general disregard for me as a customer and my problem.

What really infuriated me was the distributors claim that had the snap being positioned elsewhere on the board, such as the middle, they could have 'sorted something out' for me?! I have no idea what that means. Anyway, it just sucks that in in other sports such as mountainbiking, snowboarding, skateboarding you support your local shop and they support you. Break a snowboard they'll send you a new one or try sort you out with something else, snap a £1500 DH bike frame and they'll replace it for you because their riders supporting riders and want to look after their customers and ensure you come back.

This rant basically means avoid Watersports World UK and Bargain Boards.co.uk like the plague.
Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-04-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
Below is what happened to me Friday on a HS front flip. Board has never been used on rails. This board itself is actually a replacement from my 09 Murray that I had an insert ripped out of on a nasty toe edge catch. I got this one as a warranty replacement in the spring of this year. I have the utmost confidence in my shop and Hyperlite that they will honor this and replace the board. I've had some tough luck recently on Hype (boards and bindings), but I must say they've been really good on the warranty claims. Thanks Hyperlite.

Name:  IMG00035-20101001-1154.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  IMG00036-20101001-1154.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  70.5 KB
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-04-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
2010 Faction warrantied 3 weeks ago, just got my new 2011, couldn't be happier

Can't say the same thing for hyperlite this year. Ripped inserts out of 2009 Marek, waiting 5 weeks for a replacement 2009. 2 weeks before the 4th of July I ripped the inserts out of the other board. 3.5 months later and I still haven't seen the 2011 Marek I was promised!!! I had to buy the Faction as a replacement because they warned me it could take a month or so. So lame. I'll say I've never had an issue with Hyperlite in the past, they've always been good to me but this is just plain rediculous. They say the boards are being manufactured oversees and that is the reason for the holdup. Bad move on hyperlites part if you ask me, keep it in the states and keep your loyal customers happy
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-04-2010, 6:55 PM Reply   
I've had great experiences with Obrien's customer service, top notch people!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-04-2010, 8:01 PM Reply   
Ditto what Ryan wrote. Although it was years ago, I broke two O'brien boards one season. We had been doing a bunch of filming for a video, so I had lots of pro riders that had been signing the boards. Both times, O'brien sent me a new deck no questions asked. They first requested the broken ones be sent back, but when I explained they had sort of become mementos from the film, then they said "no problem" and let me keep them. The first time, they sent me the next year's graphic of the same deck. By the time I broke the second one, that deck had been discontinued, so they let me choose any deck in their line-up, then the local rep also kicked down a neoprene top in exchange for all the drama. That's what I'm talking about. I don't even know if the boards were past the warrantee or not, and O'brien did not seem too worried about it. What they were worried about was getting me riding again and keeping a repeat customer.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-04-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
Slingshot was awesome to me, ronix got me a set of baseplates pretty fast. Good stuff from those companies, big fans of them both.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-05-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
I don't know why there is moaning about companies not replacing broken boards used on sliders. With the exception of the Obrien board, they all pretty much say if you hit a rail on it, it voids the warranty. Seems pretty cut and dry to me. I mean I know we are all honest to goodness people on this forum, even the guy that gets replacement boards and then sells them on Ebay, but of course we're all going to say, "I only hit a few sliders, that's not why the board broke".
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-06-2010, 1:56 AM Reply   
I have to agree with Jeremy, most boards say if you hit a slider it's warranty is void.
It's kind of like dropping my phone in water and then bitching to Apple that it's dead and it's only a month old.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-06-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
One of my buddies just warrantied an 09' Lyman and got an 11' Shane and was mad that he had to pay $12 to ship the board back..

Some people
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-06-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
^^ lol

I woulda just rather e mailed a pic.

Warranty claim isnt finished yet. But Mike at LF is a stand up cat. Called, didnt have to hold, talked to a REAL person right away. Exchanged a few e mails (with fast response times). Great experience so far, damaged board is sent off.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-10-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
Liquid Force has always been very fair with me. I've had good experiences with Ronix too...sending new laces and base plates for bindings. Thanks!

Last edited by brhanley; 10-10-2010 at 4:01 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-10-2010, 11:19 PM Reply   
CWB took great care of me this past week. I sent in a 2008 Transcend that had some air bubbles that were creating lil spider cracks. I emailed them pictures, sent them my board with a copy of my receipt and they shipped me out a 2011 all in a weeks period of time. The kept in contact with me and explained to me what was going to happen. I couldn't be happier.
Old    mojo            10-11-2010, 1:01 AM Reply   
mine have been good with hyperlite and ronix. got a pair of new base plates and hardware from ronix for my 2 year old boots for free. got a new boa everything from hyperlite for some 05 bindings last year for free. never really had an issue with boards breaking besides normal wear and tear so have not dealt with that side of things.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-11-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
CWB has always served me well when it came to warranties and responsiveness.