Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       05-24-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Hi all just started wakesurfing last summer with a HL landlock 5"6 it was ok 4 the first yr but its to lite or thin so or something I cant surf much without a rope I am a 43 yr old M 6 ft 220 and have more of a surf style.Its time 4 a new board been looking at a Xtremeboards 5"7 5"9 & SHRED STIXX Stixxtrem 5'6 or a Diamond Tail Shoreline Lakeboard 5"6 but cant decide also looked into a Wakerproject board but they were talking about putting me in a 5"0 model that seems small if u have some input let me know thanks
Old    surfdad            05-24-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
Hey Vince, I'm around 180 and switch between a 4'2" and 4'6" Walker Project. I love those boards, but I'll be truthful with you...if you're just starting out at your size, you won't like any of Mike's shapes. Don't get me wrong, Mike's boards, IMO are the best surf style available, BUT they are high end and require considerable experience for big guys. KIDS, in the 80-100 pound range will love 'em :-)

If I may, instead of the stixxstreme, check out Jerry's JaMako or Blowfish. Both of those boards are better suited to bigger guys just getting started. What you'll find, no doubt, is that after you get the muscle memory worked out, you can step down in size. I would REALLY encourage you to get a bit larger board than you need to get started on.

The Xtreme Board Company's Long Board would no doubt work for you. One thing I know I have found with the single to double concave bottom design, popular on shortboards, is that it becomes a bit "sticky" for big guys.

Another good board for starting out is Inland's Red Tide. That is a BIG BOARD, designed for newbies. You'd be able to surf that no problem.

The 5'6" Shoreline would be a good choice. I prefer the Future's fin boxes on the Stixx, to the FCS on Shorelines...but that is really splitting hairs.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-24-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
Jeff, don't you have perfect pass on your boat?

I need help!
Old    surfdad            05-24-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
Yeah Ed, what seems to be the problem?
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       05-25-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
thanks 4 the input Jeff i think i am going with a more advanced board so in a month or so i dont look back and wish i got a faster board.i am petty athletic i have been snowskiing sinces ago 10 and lived in Squaw Valley for 14 yr so a think i am suited for a more advanced board

Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
Advanced surf style...the JaMako is good, and I hear that Jerry is coming out with a new Shape soon. You might give him a call. Mike Walker's F-18, in about a 5'0", fin placement at 9.5 up and 3/16 to 1/4 toe in, would rip. I know you talked about wanting surf style...but some of the new offerings are almost hybrids. The Walzer's with 2+ fins are a nice blend and I have this sweet Calibrated prototype at home that is in that same genre. Also, don't count out the Inland Yellow Loogey...that is a short wide board that you can progress on. Good combination of surf with trick abilities. However, none of these will be GREAT boards to start with...save for the JaMako. It's 4'11" very short, but with the trailing fin in, it's pretty stable. Pop that out, possibly down size the fins and it will shred.
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       05-25-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
Jeff for some reason i am leaning towards the Xtreme boards companys 5"7 fish or 5"9 i hope its a good pick.I added some photos from last year on my profile. sense i am a photographer and so is my friend a ride with i cant wait to put better photos up when i get a new board
Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
The 5'4" fish is rated up to 185. The 5'9" (is it?) Longboard is rated to 250. At your 220, I'd think the Longboard would be the better of the two. That one also uses futures fins, get comfortable with it and take the trailer out and throw 3.25's on the side and it will shred for you. Nothing wrong with that selection. Gary also had some neon green and pink airbrushing that was killer.
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       05-25-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
how do i post my photos on my profile page i uploaded some photo with the last message but dont know were they r
Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
Click on the Edit Profile link at the top of this thread. Log in. About 6 or 7 lines down you'll see a "picture" hyperlink. You just need to click on that and follow the directions.

For uploading in the thread, you need to use the "upload attachment" button below. When it completes successfully (can't be bigger than something like 150KB) it will append some text to your message, just leave that and the photo will appear in your post when you post the message.
Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
I just checked out Gary's site and they've got a few new shapes in that fish line up:

http://www.xtremeboardcompany.com/fish.html

The 5'7" and a 5'7" chubby. But, apparently from the picture of the nice young lady gracing the page, you have to ride the board wearing 4" heels. :-)
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       05-25-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
thats funny i did not see the heels on that girl. I did got photo on profile thanks
Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
So what part of the girl did you see? :-) Now I'll have to explain to my wife that I ONLY go to that page to look at the NEW BOARDS. :-)
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-27-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
Vince, I sent you a PM.