Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-07-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
So i'm looking at installing the clairon eqs746 in my 21v and am curious as to how people have installed them. Not from a wiring perspective but from an actual mounting the EQ itself. So if anyone could show pics of their installs of various EQ's and explain how they mounted them that would be great!!
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-07-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
Just did this over the weekend. We used aluminum straps to mount up behind the dash to existing bolts.
http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=7633[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/6ei2wj.jpg[/IMG]
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-07-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
D_Powers what do you mean by aluminum straps. Thats exactly the location i'm wanting to mount this EQ on my 21v. I went to Home Depot and Lowes to look at some "L" brackets but couldn't seem to find the type of "L" bracket i'm looking for to make the install work the way i'm thinking it should. thoughts? tips? suggestions?
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-07-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
Head to the plumbing section of HD/Lowes and they sell a small roll of the strapping that you can cut to length. Should be <$2.
http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/plumbing/misc/allroundstrappingbuypage.asp
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
i used the included L-brackets that came with mine.
Upload
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-07-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
Did this a while back.
Have since got rid of them. Mine were used to tune down various companents, I didnt' adjust them much once they were set.

Upload
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-07-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
D Powers, what you're talking about is too flemsy to hold the eq's too well.

I always use something similar, but a lot thicker. The metal strapping that comes with car head units works well. It's a lot stronger than what's mentioned above.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-07-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
Maybe the stuff I linked as an example was too thin, but they have some heavy duty stuff that works great. Very similar to the head unit straps you're referring to.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-07-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
mine is mounted thru the glove box usign the l brackets that came with the eq's and some speed clips on the back side of the screws.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-07-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
We mounted ours without actually drilling and its solid.
We put Bolts through the already existing cupholders in the boat, and had a brace plate(a stepper plate really) and then used the included WS brackets, and then leveled it out. The front end was a little heavy, so I took a cable tie around both cupholders and tightened it real good where it would not move, and then took a black cable tie a little back to not be seen and went around the EQ with it and leverage pulled it up and flush. It looks great and doesnt move a bit...Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
I did mine in the same place and same way as d did his. I bought a strip of aluminum stock from home depot.

Upload
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       04-07-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
all these custom stereos and every ones eq just slpped in some where? whats up people...?

Upload
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
ha ha, that things a knee buster!

maybe next winter.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
^^^

ive been trying to order one of those but cant get anyone to email me back!

WTF!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
lol, yeah the guy that makes those is flakey i hear. ;)
Old     (bullit4888)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
I cut a whole in my dash and flush mounted it. Makes it look factory.
Upload

Upload
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       04-07-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
wow not only can i not spell today but then im getting clowned.. Gotta love W.W.! clayton you have not been emailinng the right people if you have not had a responce..
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
ha ha, i'm just razzin' ya. :-)
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-07-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
Here is ours
Upload
Upload
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-07-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
The name of the thread should be changed to
HOW NOT TO INSTALL YOUR EQ

I see 7 pictures and 7 Fail's IMO.

Let the flaming begin!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
ouch :-(

but hey, at least my alternator ignition safe!

(Message edited by brucemac on April 07, 2009)
Old    Ben Kerran            04-07-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
Brucemac- haha, that is some funny shizz.

I think I got a fail on the eq location and the spark arrestor :-)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-07-2009, 4:45 PM Reply   
Yea that was a bit harsh. I’m sorry. I will explain

Ok this is going to get long and drawn out but follow me.

IMO if you’re running an EQ that's where all volume adjustments are made from. The deck should be set or turned up to optimum volume like 3/4 or 1/2 of full volume different decks have different optimum volume levels. That adjustment should be set and then not messed with. Then you use the EQ's master volume to turn up and down your system.

Problem #1 if you do it this way the marine remotes all around your boat now become useless and can be used to miss adjust your systems volume and mess you up. YES this is correct that's why IMO you shouldn't use remotes. LOL but serious in all my experience remotes don't work well with a system with an Eq all they do is allow people that have no business adjusting your system to do so. A small system with out a eq remotes are fine and they work well.
Problem #2 Most people have there Eq in a funky spot that makes it hard to adjust. That's why most people have their system set up backwards. The Eq tucked away and them
adjusting the eq to 1/2 and then up and down on the head units main volume. Yup that's backwards.

IMO if you’re going to run an EQ you need or should mount it on the Left side. That way you can operate the volume with your left hand and drive the boat at the same time. When I say drive the boat I mean never take your hand off the throttle with your right hand you can steer the boat in straight lines momentarily with your knees if you need to. But your left hand should never leave the throttle. Having the remote or the head unit or the Eq or what ever you use to adjust volume on the right side IMO= FAIL. I think the throttle is the most important control on the boat and should not be shared with any other duty. It's hard to do 3 things at once and then when you have to do throttle and adjust volume with one hand on the same side that's even harder.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-07-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   
I feel the same way grant does. I have my eq mounted on the left side and use it to control the volume. I have 3 remotes in my boat and hate them because everyone always thinks there the better DJ. I've actually unplugged 2 in the back. here's a pic of mine mounted.

Upload
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-07-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
"G"
On a system with no remotes and an EQ why does it mater if you use the head unit or the EQ as a volume control? I have mine set up so the head unit and the EQ can be at max volume at the same time. I could use either as my control and it not change the way the stereo sounds as long as one stays at max.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-07-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
Grant, lemme get this straight, I should never take my right hand nor my left hand off the throttle
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-07-2009, 5:06 PM Reply   
Aaron, he's referring to the fact that head units put out the cleanest signals at roughly 3/4 volume. Then you should use your EQ to adjust the volume from there.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
aside from not having a nice face plate/bracket (yet) i'm in good shape then as mine's in the center and i'm anbidexterous!

oh and still searching for matching carpet

(Message edited by brucemac on April 07, 2009)
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
liljohn and brucemac:

no offense, bros. If I didnt like it, I wouldnt have said that i had been wanting one. I thought i had msged one of you guys on themalibucrew.com. my bad.

Whats it cost?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-07-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
Ray when I re-read my post yea your right I said left hand for the throttle I ment to say right hand for the throttle thanks for the correction. Its up to you. You can run your system how ever you like Im sure everyone system is diffrent. Some people have lots of motor noise and they for one reason or another cant run the system like I decribed. Do a test for yourself. Pick a song. Adjust your system they way you normaly run it and pay attention to how much power you seem to have and how clear it sound's. Then Adjust it like Im talking about. First turn down your Eq's main volume. Then adjust your head units volume up. My Alpine likes to run at like #25 on the volume. I thought XMD or CMD Clarions were up in the #27 to 28 volume range. Then adjust your Eq's volume up and see what sounds better to you at the same sound level. IMO the head unit dosent produce full line voltage untill it's up there in volume. So your line voltage is not at it's (2 ,4 6 volts what ever)advertised level untill your in the upper range of it's limit. This way your Eq is getting a strong clean signal and your pushing or reproducing that threw the Eq and to the Amp's.

How is Tim from WetSounds telling his decipels to adjust or run the WS 420?

I know for the life of me I cant get Mike Ski on board. He is not happy untill he a has a remote in ever corner of the boat and even one strapped to his vest. I think it was only last year he was still running his I-pod threw the head phone jack another FAIL

Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
heh heh no worries clayton. :-) i was just playin. i know liljohn was trying to rally a group buy or something, but not sure where it ended up. last i heard, he didn't have much interest. i'm going to go a little different route as both the two styles he has/had are a little bigger than i'm after. good luck!
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-07-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
"G"
Brett @ Wet Sounds said it was better not to use the EQ as the main volume control. He did say the same thing about line voltage as you. He also added that the EQ (WS 420)would increase line voltage. The way I have mine set I hear no difference in sound.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
Yeah I set my HU were it needs to be and use the eq for my volume control. I mounted it on the right side to try and keep people from messing with it and since I use my ipod the wired remotes are useless anyways.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       04-07-2009, 10:44 PM Reply   
Damn G sorry we didn't meet your standard.. Please post pics of how it is supposed to be done.. Can we get full right up with that.. J/k.. I know what you mean lucky for me mine looks like this now. And as you imply my remote is only used to search threw the hard drive.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       04-07-2009, 10:46 PM Reply   
no more eq..

Upload
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-07-2009, 11:36 PM Reply   
Grant, I was just giving you a hard time, shoulda threw in a jk to make it more apparent. But I do like your reasoning behind putting the EQ on the left side of the wheel and, additionally, it would be more accessible if you're not in the drivers seat.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-08-2009, 12:14 AM Reply   
G,

I have not been running my IPOD through the headphone jack for 2 years! If you spent more time boarding with me you would know...

I had 3 options for hooking the IPOD into my system last year and 4 this year.

1. IPOD into Clarion direct through CCAIPOD adaptor, most convenient, used while skiing/boarding.

2. IPOD direct into Clarion Aux-In (from line out cable on POD). Allows selection of music via IPOD and control of audio through Clarior remotes (all 4).

3. IPOD direct into Wetsounds WS420 Eq. Used only when jamming music hard or when the Clarion remotes are acting up as they sometimes do.

4. IPOD direct into HSE revolution volume control. Not typically used but available if ever needed. This would allow for a clean IPOD input, bypass of the Clarion, and still allow automatic speed controlled volume attenuation.

Here is a picture of my conveniently located flush mounted EQ that looks like it came from the factory in this location. It is easily controlled from my throttle hand once the perfect pass takes over. My volume fussing has been reduced by about 80% since I installed the HSE revolution. You can also see my audio input and output panel for linking boats to the left of the picture.

Upload
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-08-2009, 2:15 AM Reply   
Okay "G". I'll move mine to the left so I can let go of the steering wheel when I'm adjusting the eq. Hopefully the boat won't make a sharp turn and throw everyone else out. I"ll be okay though, because I'll have the dead-man's switch on.

Guess you should give your theory to the boat manufacturer's too since they mount all the remotes on the right side of the steering wheel.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-08-2009, 7:06 AM Reply   
Correct Craft puts them all on the left. Are they the only ones safe to drive and operate the stereo on?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
whocares : That's a pretty cool volume control. to bad its on the wrong side LOL
John: If your boat does the hook turn as soon as you let go of the wheel the try adjusting your rudder "if you can". My boat will go straight at most speeds with hands off the wheel.

Said in a joking fashion "Here are some picks of a Eq mounted in the proper location"

dash1.JPG
dash2.JPG
dash3.JPG

I know not all boat's have a ideal Eq mounting location's. The Grey piece you see the Eq mounted in had to be custom made. I made it so the Eq was mounted as close to the wheel so I could adjust the Volume with out taking my hand off the wheel.
Now if they start making Eq's with the volume on the left hand side of the faceplate im in trouble
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       04-08-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
Thanks for posting up the pics G looks good. If you would like to come to seattle and do some of your fine custom work on my boat I would be open to moving it to the left but untill then it will stay on the right.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-08-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
G,
I'm almost ashamed of your install... That EQ should obviously be flush mounted... You went to all the trouble of making a custom bracket to do the install and left it like that...

FAIL!
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-08-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
Hahahahaha thats some funny shizzz right there!!

Here is my install. I had no where else to put it and have access on the fly safely.

Upload
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-08-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
John: If your boat does the hook turn as soon as you let go of the wheel the try adjusting your rudder "if you can". My boat will go straight at most speeds with hands off the wheel.

My rudder doesn't need adjustment. It's just fine, but it's funny how you think it's "okay" to let go of the steering wheel to adjust the eq, when it's not "okay" to let go of the throttle. I'll try that in my truck next time I drive down the road.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
John: If you need a driving lessons I can give you some come on out to Cali. Ill show you how you can hold the boat in a straight line with your knees under the steering wheel. I’m sure you use this very same “technique” when you drive and text in your car LOL. Dam don't you guys in KY drink, drive and shoot out of your cars all at the same time? I don't see why you’re making a big deal out of taking your hand off the wheel for a second to turn down the Eq. J/K I kid I kid!
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-08-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
G,
What's up with that no comment on my above post??
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-08-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
yeah G, we're all a bunch of wife-beating backwoods bigot rednecks that get our licenses out of a cracker-jack box. BUT, we turn our stereo's down with the head unit remote, which is to the right side of the steering wheel. I guess you should write a letter to all the boat manufacturer's and tell them how badly they fail
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
Sam: Yea your right. FAIL on my part.
John: I did. And why do you think CC mounts the remote's on the left. I have been doing it this way for 6 years.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-08-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
Yea!! G said that I was right!!!
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-08-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
Oh crap - Paducah in the house - John, when we going to meetup? I roll in the rock quarry some summers :-)

I'm more of a Lake Barkley kind of guy though.

But to stay on topic, I have an EQ on my boat... ahha.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-08-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
Lake Barkley's on the wrong side of the world for me. I'll stay on KY lake so I won't have to take my hands off of anything.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       04-08-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
I think I debated G on this one a while back, but I believe it's more important that I keep one hand on the wheel, versus the throttle. PerfectPass does a pretty good job at handling my throttle. I'll be mounting my EQ in the "fail" position on the right side!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-08-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
You can argue this point all day. It's personal preference to me and all my customer's that have requested their's be mounted to the right.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-08-2009, 3:17 PM Reply   

quote:

By Joe H (superairdawg) on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 2:55 pm:

I think I debated G on this one a while back, but I believe it's more important that I keep one hand on the wheel, versus the throttle.

I would much rather stop the knives in the back/bottom of my boat by simply turning them off versus trying to steer out of trouble. Sometimes it's two late, you hit something that you didn't see and couldn't steer away from. I saw the little girl at Bartlett lose her leg last year, the boat driver didn't see her, but put the boat in neutral as soon as he could. She would have probably died if he didn't kill the throttle. Keep a hand on the throttle for safety sake!
Old     (jbwake)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-08-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
Some of these installs look great and are easy to get at, but what I dont get is how you keep them dry?

On a normal day it's not a problem but what about the day you get caught in a big rain storm and you have water coming in from all directions? Dont say the bimini will save you because in bad rain it wont at all.

We killed our line driver(which was relatively hidden) due to rain so wondering how you all avoid the same or maybe you have super predictable weather where you live?
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       04-08-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
If it's "too late and you hit something you didn't see and couldn't steer away from", you obviously couldn't have cut the throttle either. I'm not condoning driving one-handed and I have my hand on the throttle nearly all the time. Since you're calling me out Sam, if you're REALLY promoting safety, you really shouldn't be muckin' around with the stereo at all while underway. Keep a hand on the throttle AND the wheel for safety's sake!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-08-2009, 6:49 PM Reply   
Steering and throttling with two hands? What are you guys wearing beer helmets?
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       04-09-2009, 3:10 AM Reply   
I have monkey feet!
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-09-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Here you go G!

This one is in the middle. So left hand right hand!

Tim
Wet Sounds
Upload
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-10-2009, 3:21 PM Reply   

quote:

Some of these installs look great and are easy to get at, but what I dont get is how you keep them dry?

On a normal day it's not a problem but what about the day you get caught in a big rain storm and you have water coming in from all directions? Dont say the bimini will save you because in bad rain it wont at all.

We killed our line driver(which was relatively hidden) due to rain so wondering how you all avoid the same or maybe you have super predictable weather where you live?

That is what I am curious about too. I would guess a towel but that doesn't do much.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-10-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
LOL....we must be overkill vs a towel...we either run for cover to covered docks or under trees, or we break out the tarp lol..We drape a tarp using the tower as the highest point and it ties down on the sides....we anchor down near the shore and we cover up...
Old     (jeilers1)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-11-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
Z5 cargo bimini will keep it dry
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-11-2009, 6:29 PM Reply   
Z5
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-13-2009, 12:59 AM Reply   
Here you go, Left side install, "G" approved (hopefully.....)
Upload
Upload
And with LED's going
Upload
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-14-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
I finally was able to come up w/ a way to mount the EQ so I completed the install yesterday. I ended having to buy some flat "L" brackets and then bending the one side up so I could drill the bracket into the fiberglass up under the dash.

I purposely mounted the EQ in this location for several reasons, but the biggest one being b/c thats where I wanted. (Sorry bout pic quality..was taken w/ my phone)

Upload
Upload
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-14-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
Nice install! Do you have any of the bracket itself?

I am looking to do the same install, with the exact same eq, in my 21v.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-15-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
here's a couple pix of the "L" brackets i used(got em from lowes) and then just bent them....

Upload
Upload
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-15-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
Perfect, thanks! I assume you just wired the power into the junction box right behind there? Or did you wire the power a different way?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-15-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
lol that's funny, that's exactly what i ended up doing suprasteve! the brackets that come with the 420 didn't quite get me what i needed so i used the flat picture frame corner brackets similar to the one's in that picture above and them screwed those to the WS brackets. bought mine at lowes as well. you can't see them and they work, so i'm good for now. hoping to do a custom plate later this year though.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-15-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
HAHA!!! Thats close to how I did mine.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-15-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
Darren. Yea your set up is nice. I can see I will have no problem driving and working your stsyem when we come down to NZ. Funny you guys drive on the wrong side of the rode down under but you know how to install on the right side LOL. Just kiddn right hand sided Eq peep's I was talking with my bro about this thread this weeknd over some beers on the lake. John B and the KY comments had me rollin. We were cracking up. Bottom line. Where ever you mount your stuff and it works for you is the right way.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-15-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
After reading this thread, I had to poop.

Upload
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       04-16-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
Here's mine. In process still, so there's all kinds of crap hanging around...

Got the bracket from Who Cares (liljohn) with the purchase of the EQ. Thanks John. Took me forever to get everything together and get the stereo going, but I got the amps and amp rack finalized last night so was able to do a little test. EQ seems to work great! Just need to button some things up and tune everything in.

Upload

Upload

Danny
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-17-2009, 12:33 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-17-2009, 4:56 AM Reply   
Danny, did you keep the head unit under the armrest. I hate my Malibu dash with the head unit under the armrest. What a hassle to operate. I wish there was a good place for a remote.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       04-18-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
Tim,

Yeah I'm keeping the head unit under the dash for now. The iPod plugs directly into it. I will probably use it that way mostly instead of playing from the iPod head phone jack (for better quality). So, the amount I have to fuss with the head unit under the armrest is minimal.

To be honest though, I'm so used to the arm rest head unit that it doesn't bother me at all to use it.