Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-24-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
I am running 4 6.5 Polk db651's for tower speakers. For some types of music the bass seems over powering. Even with the amp crossover set for less bass I'd like to be able to filter out more. What would be a good way to go about this? Inline crossovers, adjustable crossover, EQ?...........
Old     (spiff454)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-24-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
Bass Blockers. These are small capacitors you can buy at a stereo shop.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-24-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
Bass blockers work but they have a fairly flat cutoff curve, you will need to get ones for 250hz or so. If you use the amp's crossover or an EQ's crossover the curve is steeper so you can run them down to 125hz of so. It's the frequencies below 100hz that cause the distortion. The sub should be supplying all your bass. Let the tower handle the mids & highs and it will take more power and project those frequencies farther. It also helps to angle them up just a tad, the sound waves tend to fall as they travel over water.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-24-2007, 9:48 PM Reply   
What about a 199, 200 or 220uf caps? We used them from Radio Shack (220uf) they have a 6db slope and seem to have done the trick. I have the 651's as well, they rock.
Old     (goose_sound_box_marine)      Join Date: May 2007       05-25-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
what amps are you running?
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-25-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
I am running a PG 4600. I wired the tower speakers off of the "rear" channel in parallel. I tested it last night the left channel with the blockers and the right without. It was definitely better without the blockers. I'll check tonight what hz they were. They were sold as for 6.5" speakers...............
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-25-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
This probably a good time to direct you to www.bcae1.com read about crossovers.

Brian, you should be running non-polarized capacitors in audio circuits.

If the PG 4600 will go highpass on both front and rear channels just use the amp's XO.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-25-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
Mikeski, I know your probably gone to the lake, were out of here in the AM for 3 days on the water, stoked, but what is the deal with non polarized caps and are the ones I got from R Shack correct type? Like I said they seem to have knocked out the bass and the spks are rockin' Elaborate please.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-25-2007, 10:54 PM Reply   
If you are using polarized caps they will skew the audio wave. It might not make an audible difference but all commercial speakers use non-polarized caps. I just use non-polarized ones since they don't cost more. The bass blockers will be non-polarized.