Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-12-2004, 8:22 PM Reply   
Hey guys
I did a search with not much luck. What type of pump are you using for pulling oil from the Dip stick tube? (No hand pump options please)

I've been all over looking for a small gear pump thinking that a Jabsco type with the rubber impellar would not work that good.

A quick change set up off the pan or filter line would be killer but I need to dump the oil first...

Any thoughts on this topic?

Thanks guys!

Oh yeah, we hit some killer butter today!
Old    walt            09-12-2004, 9:22 PM Reply   
I use the pump that runs off a high speed drill. If You buy one make sure You get Your engine up to operating temp before You try to drain it and Start the drill out slow until the oil starts to flow then You can go wide open.( If You start it wide open it seems to wipe out the pump.)
Also use a hose clamp around the rubber hose that will slide over Your dip stick tube so it doesn't suck air.
Old    walt            09-12-2004, 9:23 PM Reply   
The Blindside Blade looks good on Your B-52 !
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-13-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
Sorry, second time in 24-hours I'm recommending the forbidden fruit.

This 'Oil Boy' pump has worked awesome for me. You do pump it a few times, but vacuum does the rest. Never like busted a sweat or anything, if that's what the problem is. I use it for the engine, tranny and gearbox and it handles the three different weights perfectly.

Oil Sucker
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-13-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
i use the Oil Boy too, works great. i made an adapter that screws onto the drain hose in the pan so it removes more oil than thru the dipstick. i also use it on the tranny & Vdrive in the boat. it also makes it very easy to pour off into a jug for recycling when you're done.

also very useful for the tranny in my car & truck. if you've ever serviced a tranny, dropping the pan is usually VERY messy. you can pull out about 2-3 qts with this thru the dipstick tube, leaving only an inch or so in the pan when you drop it.
Old    dallas_bear            09-13-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
I agree with Derek. I use the 'Oil Boy' for oil, V Drive Oil and Tranny fluid. It pays for itself in the 1st use.

www.basspro.com was the cheapest place I could find it.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=23009&hvarTarget=search& cmCat=SearchResults
Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-13-2004, 11:33 AM Reply   
Hey Guys
That looks like a good hand pump. I was not worried about the workout aspect of hand pumping.... just the quality of the hand pumps i've seen on the market. That is why I was looking for a 120v or 12v mechanical gear pump.

Anyone have a quick drain set up? If so did you plumb it off the botton of the pan or?

Once again WW has proven to provide this user with great information. Thank you...

Hey walt, did you get that drill pump from sears?

The blindside blade is for sale..

We are all hooked on the Byerly's now!

I hope all you guys had a fun and safe season!

greg
Old    newtique            09-13-2004, 7:10 PM Reply   
If you have a Nautique (late model), there is a dump hose connected where the drain would be. Just run the hose thru the hull drain hole into your oil receptacle. No need for a pump.
That's the way it is on my GT-40 (Ford) & I'd bet it could be adapted to other engines.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-13-2004, 7:21 PM Reply   
If you have a hose off the oil pan then you want to drain it from there, It goes faster and you get more oil out than going through the dipstick tube. I prefer the pump on the end of the drill as well. Do have a way to warm it up before you change it, fake-a-lake, ect. Byerly beats out the Blade eh? Nice!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-13-2004, 7:40 PM Reply   
i have the quick-drain hose on the pan, but as i said above i made an adapter that attaches that to the Oil Boy. it's just a female NPT-to-hose barb fitting, and a short piece of fuel hose that slips over the larger tube in place of the dipstick tube adapter. take the cap off the QD hose, screw this on, pump the handle 7 or 8 times, and come back in 5 min with all your oil in the jug. i've tried several methods, and this is my favorite and by far the least messy.

the filter is the really messy part anyway - use a big Ziplock and lots of newspapers for that.

definitely warm the engine first, and use a pump or extractor of some type; just gravity draining thru that hose out the bilge is slow as he11.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-13-2004, 9:25 PM Reply   
Trace, you're right about the oil filter mess. I use a plastic water bottle (pint-sized, you know) and just cut the thing in half on the bias. This makes the opening as big as possible. Gotta hold it while you're unscrewing though. Our Epics come with a pre-plumbed drain dealy that I've used twice now. Never thought to just use the dipstick though (duhhh.)
Old    wakecord            09-14-2004, 8:07 AM Reply   
Here is what I use:

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

The model with the nipple. Attach a clear vinyl hose, run through the drain plug hole. Much faster than the hose setups, the opening is larger.
Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-14-2004, 1:06 PM Reply   
went to grainger and pick up
Item # 1p579 110v teel utility pump, some 3/8 mpt x 1/4 and 3/8 mpt x 3/8 presto loc fittings and some tube.

I primed it wetted the impellar w/some clean oil inserted tube into that dam dip stick and was done in about 10-15 mintues. with clean oil/ and filter.

I will do the quick drain system when I have the time.

Thank you for all the input.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
I got a cheap 12V pump from JC Whitney about 15 yrs ago. I think it was about $15 and I am still using it today. It's not the fastest game in town but it works pretty good.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       09-15-2004, 7:43 AM Reply   
I have the one that attaches to a drill. Works great. Got mine at Napa Auto Parts. You will need to customize some hose though so it will connect to the hose that runs from the oil pan.