Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-02-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
Mostly what you hear now days, is that the lighter the board the better.

Does anyone believe that a heavier board has some benefit to it as well?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-02-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
ive ridden jus about everything from hype to liquid to cwb and quite a few other companies. u can deffinately feel a difference on ur feet when doing stock jumps and graps, but when spinning or gettin inverted theres no way i could feel a difference or say that a lighter board made it easier or bennefitted.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-02-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
A heavier board might work a litter better if you ride a lot in rough water.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-02-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
Heavier boards could mean extra strength? Although CWB's platinums use carbon fiber rods which are strong as hell.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-02-2006, 3:25 PM Reply   
I'm not really bothered. I like the way heavier boards feel on inverts, but its not a huge issue to me. Usually heavier boards do keep their rocker line and hold up to abuse better.
I notice the differance for the first couple minutes between light and heavy boards, then I just move on.
But I think a feather light board would be a little weird. Like a board even lighter than the roam.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-02-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
Huge difference switching between TFD and Trip ultracore!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
Thane, this was a huge question back in I would say 1996 to 1999. I was part of Surflite wakeboards that produced the first honeycomb board that weighted 4.5lbs when they are that light you can tell a huge differance they spin faster and go a little bigger. The most problem with honeycomb was that it was so stiff when you landed it would buck and land very hard due to how stiff they were, they had no flex or give. Like a foam core board. The new boards like HL DNA and CWB Platinum is killer. I like the lighter boards I just feal they have more snap off the wake and feel more alive under my feet. It might be that they are a little stiffer so the pop dosn't give. But you should know by now I am a little diffent when it comes to boards.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-02-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
My LF free weighed a ton, it was like pure fibre glass. That would be way to heavy in todays market.
Sorry the mention of 1996 brought that to my attention.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-03-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
does the 3ds follow the tfd trend of being heavy? i'm thinkin bout the 3ds but like a fairly light board
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-03-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
I picked up Hype's L7 core this weekend and I'd say it was the lightest Hyperlite board I've ever held. Pretty comparable to the Platinum from CWB. I guess time will tell on its durability, much like the Platinum's went through.
Old     (delphi)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-03-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
i agree with paul, i used to ride a 04TFD136 and im now on the 06shane136, there is a big difference.

swing weight was not so much the problem, the heavier board actually helped me land more solidly and edge better (especially for cable). but the main deifference i think is durability. i still have not subjected my shane to any obstacles, but the TFD is hands down can take the most punishment for any wakeboard out there. imo of course
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-03-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
the new hype line is much lighter than previous years. they are actually taking a step closer to their name this year. they should have named their company hyperHEAVY in the begining. hahaha
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-04-2006, 1:49 AM Reply   
good stuff, sounds like 3ds will be pretty durable (obviously depending on this new core tho'), but if its ancestors were pretty solid it says good things!
i'm liking the fact that the L7 core is so light, i've not really ridden light boards but when i have they've been pretty nice and playful!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-04-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
I was thinking that a heavier board would ride better in rough water.

In theory, a heavier board would be harder to get spinning but once it was spinning it would take less effort to keep it spinning. Something to think about.
Old    wakebmxer            04-04-2006, 11:41 PM Reply   
the new L7 Hyperlite cores didnt turn out exactly how they wanted. It wasnt as stiff as they wanted so they added some extra glass to get the snap they were looking for. It did turn out lighter but not 2 pounds like they wanted. LF boards have always had that snap. I have always ended up with Hyperlite bindings and an LF board. This year I am gonna be on a Free Motion Influence (last years LF balance) and the new Murray bindings. I will be selling Free Motions at my indoor bike and skatepark in Nor-Cal. www.NorCalRampRats.com the Balance, Trip and Evo are now under the Free Motion name. Same boards new graphics and all sell for under $200 because there is no marketing involved so your paying for the board construction only and not a Team and Marketing like every other Board.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-05-2006, 6:59 AM Reply   
Jason,
Very funny, although I dont think anyone has ever heard that before....