Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-21-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
I have 2 blown speakers, one tower and one in boat on my 08 X15. I called my local MC dealer and they quoted me $260 for one speaker! So seeing if anyone has any for sale. I believe the tower one is 7.7 and the in boat 6.5?? They are JL speakers. Thanks.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-21-2010, 5:04 PM Reply   
Try ebay. Make sure you get the right model number. It matters.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-21-2010, 5:07 PM Reply   
was just looking them up. Where do I get the model number? I assume the back of the speaker???
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-21-2010, 5:21 PM Reply   
Wow, an 08 Mastercraft and it's not covered under warranty?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-21-2010, 6:18 PM Reply   
Just an FYI on the factory MC tower pods, the ones in the center that contain the halogen lamp. These in particular, versus the outside pods, may not be airtight with gaps around the lamp. The lamp is exchanged from the interior speaker side. The JL Audio 7.7s that are used in the tower pods are acoustic suspension and are very dependent on a small sealed pod versus the free-air in-boat models used in the coaming. When you upgrade the power so that these speakers reach their potential this contributes to the problem. From over-excursion you can blow the center tower speakers. We are modifying the pods so that they are sealed but still allow service access to the lamps. Now the midbass cone is well damped and controlled. Problem fixed.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-22-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Wow, an 08 Mastercraft and it's not covered under warranty?
I am told that they have a one year warranty.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-22-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Good luck getting any speaker manufacturer to cover a blown speaker. The internal meltdown will speak for itself.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
Edgar how did they blow. Was it too much volume or did they jsut stop working one day. I had a tower speaker seem like it was blown but I really had a ow battery and not enough power was getting to it so i sounded blown. The other tower speaker was fine. It was strange to say the least but once the battery was charged it was all fixed.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-22-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
Playing them to loud would be my guess, See the post above, the tower speaker is one with a light so maybe that was it. My kids play the tunes as loud as they can but you would think that they are made to handle this. I have 1 amp for the tower speakers and another for the in boat.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-22-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
I always here guys on wakeworld say that you usually blow speakers from underpowering them and trying to compensate for it by turning it up all the way. At this point it is distorted and blows or something along those lines. If you are using the stock JL amp MC puts in their boats the speakers are underpowered quite a bit I believe.

Leave it to David to know the differences between the speakers, the cans and how to fix the problem. As always, very good info.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-26-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
Are the model numbers on the back of the speakers? Is there a model I should go with vs not? What is the best place to buy these at? thanks
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-26-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
I bought 4 sets about two years ago off ebay for $100/pr. they are still goin strong. I put them in my pontoon boat.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-26-2010, 6:56 PM Reply   
I pulled the in boat speaker and here are the numbers MC-7CWXC5-4 and it said 7 inch sub woofer speaker. I am guessing this is an older model as I don't see it on the JL website?? Any one know what I can replace it with? Or can I find it?
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-26-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
Edgar,
The JL tower speakers are setup differently than your standard interior M770's. You have to get the tower speakers direct through MC because they are built with a different crossover to allow a more high/mid range sound and less of the lows (to give them a louder sound that is designed to give them "umph" at standard wakeboard riding conditions). This is why they are so damn spendy...
The interior speakers have changed a little over the past couple of years, but I believe that for 2009 to 2010 under part number JL M770-CCS-SG-WHT (to give you an idea what this means it is the intended application (Marine = M) The size of the speaker (7.70" = 770), the Model (Cockpit = CCS), the grill type (Sport Grill = SG), The color (White = WH).
You should be looking for the M770-CCS-XX-XX or the tower speaker versions are M770-TCS-XX-XX (tower speaker version direct from MC).

If you have more specific questions on these give me a shout at the shop or via email, I am in the shop all the rest of this week and we have everything in stock if you need it soon.
John
john@waterskis.com
Midwest MasterCraft - www.waterskis.com
763-533-9666
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-26-2010, 7:57 PM Reply   
^^^ thank you, I will give you a call soon. Do they just sell the speaker or do you have to buy it with the grills, tweaters, etc?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-27-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Edgar, IMO dont' get to caught up in replacing with the tower specific ones. If the only differnce between the cockpit and tower versions is cross over settings that can easily be adjusted eleswhere in your system. JL makes a great speaker but they are priced accordingly. My guess is , if you didnt' care abto price you wouldnt' have posted this.

for the price of one set you could buy 2-3 used sets ........
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-27-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Looks at this page. It shows the part numbers. The part numbers that are CCS are cockpit speakers and the ones that are TCS are for the tower. The other options are the size, the grill style and the grill color. I would doubt that they did anything special for Mastercraft since they show right here they have different speakers for the cockpit and the tower.

http://marine.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=69
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-27-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
there are some on ebay but no used ones. I wish I could just find one but they all seem to be sold in pairs. Never thought it would be so much work finding speakers!!!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-27-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
There is nothing unique or special about the JL Audio MC speakers. We sell and change these out routinely.The difference between the tower and in-boat speakers has little to do with the self-contained passive crossover. The primary difference is in the midbass driver. The in-boat model is self- damped and is intended for the infinite environment of an open gunnel cavity or other large compartment. The tower model has less mechanical and electrical damping and is highly dependent on the rigid airspring of a .15 displacement pod. This way the tower model is capable of good midbass in a tiny pod where the in-boat model would incur an inordinate increase in resonance once placed in a tiny pod. The tower model will be prone to uncontrolled and over-excursion in the coaming.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-27-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
What is weird is that when I pulled the cockpit speaker out, it didn't sound blown. It sounded fine, not sure if that is because the engine wasn't running, I was sitting still or what?
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-27-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
I am guessing you are running your stock Clarion head unit. Those suckers are picky when it comes to having good power. If you are a little low they dont like it and will start to throw distortion through the system. I have a CMD6 in my old MC and I ran into a similiar issue. I replaced my battery and it was a ton better. I would check the current going to your head unit.
Could be the source of all of your issues...
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-27-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwakerider View Post
I am guessing you are running your stock Clarion head unit. Those suckers are picky when it comes to having good power. If you are a little low they dont like it and will start to throw distortion through the system. I have a CMD6 in my old MC and I ran into a similiar issue. I replaced my battery and it was a ton better. I would check the current going to your head unit.
Could be the source of all of your issues...
Sounds good, thanks for that info. What should the current be?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-27-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
He meant voltage which should stay above 12 volts.

David
Earmark Marine