Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (dave_k)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-10-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
I will be picking up my first real boat... '99 Sunsetter Vdrive that I just bought and I would like to install some amps and speakers. I have read through a number of posts and I shouldn't have too much problem on installs and I understand to a degree on following schematics and some principals on wire size, alternater issues and stuff like that. but I was wondering what kind of amps and speakers to buy.

I am not prepared to put 1,000's into the stereo system. What I was wanting is 4 speakers in the boat, a sub, and four tower speakers.

Q 1) Will I require 2- 4 channel amps for the speakers, and 1 smaller amp for the sub?

Q 2) I am only looking for half decent sound, and doesn't have to be the best by any means. Could I go with some amps from Target or some place like that?

Q 3) The four speakers on the tower require a 4 channel amp right??

Q 4) How much power should these amps have?

Q 5) I was thinking of picking up some cans off Ebay and just purchase some 5" middle of the road Sony type 2 ways. Is this a good idea.

I am still surfing around finding stereo info but I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-10-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
I have posted a few budget systems here in the past, you should be able to find them if you search.

Basically you could do it for about a grand.
Any head unit, two four channel amps, four 6.5" coax speakers in the boat, a single 12" sub, EVID tower speakers. The Clarion APX480M amps are not a bad choice at your price point, ebay. Alpine Type R sub, ebay.

amp 1: two channels to the four boat speakers, two channels to the sub.

amp 2: four to two (2x mono) config to 8 ohm speakers.
Old     (dave_k)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-10-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
A grand... now that sounds good! Obviously I have alot of reading to do. I thought a 2 channel amp runs 2 speakers and a 4 channel runs 4 speakers?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-10-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
Here is a link to a previous post:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/478281.html?1185207279

The cost everybody forgets is the wiring.