Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-24-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
I was commenting on another thread and it got me thinking. What is my biggest wakeboarding accomplishment? what is that one moment? Maybe its getting up for the first time, landing that first wake to wake, stomping a new trick with a boat full of friends or watching a family member discover the sport and get addicted. It would be cool to see some stories. For me it was watching my fiancee who i might add is the most wonderful girl in the world, go out and buy a complete CWB setup and then a couple weeks later. Jump in the water and pop up on her second try. I totally made my month. I took a huge digger that same day and totally messed myself up. But was totally stoked seeing her ride after me. Let get some stories.
Old    kidrik            07-24-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
Congrats on the future wife scene!

Yeah, there's so many moments worthy of "best".........but the one that stands out for me, was when my oldest of three kids got up for his first time! He kept trying and trying.......and when he finally got it, the look on his face was priceless!

Looking forward to making many more memories of ALL kinds!

Maybe we should have categories......because I've got a hell of a memory from the last Boardstock, but it had nothing to do with wakeboarding..... Nevermind, that's prolly not a good idea........
Old     (flamethewolf)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-24-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
For years I rode behind bass boats, and could always go wake to wake, but would try a "tantrum" not really knowing what it was and wouldn't release with my back hand and they would always end with a magnificent crash, and really no hope for a landing. After buying my X1 this year, I looked up how to do a tantrum on wakeworld, and then landed my 5th attempt after dropping the back hand.. it was a moment of true and utter joy, and really astonishment to not have crashed!!! Hopefully I'll have more to come

My other moment would be watching my fiancee go wake to wake a couple weeks ago for the first time since breaking her neck skiing the headwall in Crested butte..
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-24-2007, 8:34 PM Reply   
Mine would be my first wake to wake jump a year and a half ago and then my 13 year old daughter popping up out of the water and riding straight behind the boat for a couple of minutes on her very first attempt on a wakeboard. I had tears of pride in my eyes that day.
Old     (utwake1)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-24-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
landing my first invert, a tantrum on my 3rd day of trying. landed 5 total that first day of landing it.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-24-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
Best "riding" moment was at the Maven session. But the best moments I have by far are just hangin out on the river with my neighbors and their kids. Kaulin, the oldest at 9 years old got up for his first try last summer and even though he's not my kid, it sure felt like it. Those are the times I will never forget.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-24-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
I have two that always comes to mind when I think of my fav memory. First one is a double up hoochie glide and the other is a triple up tantrum. Both are my most epic move ever.
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-24-2007, 9:26 PM Reply   
Both of mine have happened this summer. First my 7 year old daughter, who has had many medical issues, got up on a wakeboard two weeks ago. And even though she only went 300 yards, what a feeeling. Next, my 5 year old son, who we will be officially adopting in Sept, getting up on both a wakeboard and wakesurf board in May. The gas bill is going to increase, but well worth it.

Great thread!

dg
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-24-2007, 9:44 PM Reply   
Im told my best personal moment was riding with gerry nunn last summer, I am the best in my area, doesnt say much, I am modest but everyone always brings it up, I went out and stomped the heck out of every trick I knew in the first 2 minutes of riding, only some 3s and backrolls, that day I finally learned the t/s 5 like my 5th try and hearing from him that I have pretty good handle and board control made me feel happy

Otherwise probably my highest, most proud moment was teaching my learning disabled brother to wakeboard, he isn't great, but he gets out there and carves around, it took me a full summer and then some and he gets up every try now, he probably wont ever land a wake to wake or an invert but the fact that he wakeboards when he faces difficulties elsewhere in life that people have an easy time with, its amazing to me... because as many hardships he faces, hes got one thing that will set him apart from what... 90+% of ppl on this earth? I think thats cool...
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Fav parent wake moment...seeing my then 14 y.o. stomp a floaty tantrum in a tourney 2 days after he landed it for the first time. He was so pumped.

For me, throwing a scarecrow and NOT hearing that familiar boat deceleration noise when you fall.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-25-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
The best wakeboarding moment for me would have to be riding the pool gap at wakestock UK last week, the buzz i got from it being dark and riding infront of all sorts of people and DJ's was just awesome.

Also riding in the Red Bull wake sessions with Nick and Julz heany was an awesome day.

Aswell as landing my first invert was an amazing feeling.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-25-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
The lit cigar and beer-in-hand deep water start had to be my crowning achievement. Rode around until the beer was empty and then dropped to dispose of my garbage properly in the boat (I'm not a litter bug.). Never lost the light on the cigar. Gotta love Fuentes.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       07-25-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
Mine is landing the Big Worm! I was so pumped!

Or when I got my first shot in a mag! Wait, that never happened!!!
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-25-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
landing a 360 has been the best yet!
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-25-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
Landing a roll to revert, after open/compound breaking my tibia and fibula it on the same trick gone wrong. Once I was back on the water it took me a few years to get back, but I got it back. Almost cried. (waaaaa!)

Seeing my site mentioned in Wakeboarding Magazine was very awesome as well.

(Message edited by juniorhawk on July 25, 2007)
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-25-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
My best moment is watching my cousin get up on my board for the first time. Then the next day as early as possible get his own board. That was great seeing how excited he was to get up then wanting his own board as soon as possible.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-25-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
My first backroll on Long Lake in Spokane. I remember exactly where we were on the lake, who was in the boat, and the entire moment. I EARNED that trick.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-25-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
i think for me was the first time i cleared the wake. nothing will ever match that smooth landing the first time you hit it, not even 15-20 different inverts and spins.

best so far this year is gettin back my roll to blind that i havent hit in over 4 years
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-25-2007, 7:03 PM Reply   
My little cousin riding with me in between my legs, with the biggest smile on his face. Great feeling!
Old     (wakeupnride)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-25-2007, 7:11 PM Reply   
Not a great rider my self but love to see people get up after my instruction. Also doing a clinic with Harf this summer that my wife bought me for my bday, behind a 236. Man that kid can rip.
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-25-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
I think my best moment was up in shasta when everyone was on the boat and everyone wakeboards or attempts to, Yes even Grandpa. Haha I think the whole sport has brought my family closer than ever.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-26-2007, 5:18 AM Reply   
At a clinic with JD Webb 2 years ago, he said I was ready to try a tantrum. I had tried probably 30-40 of them before with no instruction, but never landed any. This day, I finally pulled one off after about 8 huge bails...and that "What!!! I'm still riding!!" feeling will be with me forever. I have video and it still amps me every time I see it. The adrenaline rush was huge...I actually tried some crazy mobe looking thing the next pass because I felt like I could do anything. I failed :-)