Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-21-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
I'm thinking of camping at Lake Shasta next weekend and bringing the Sanger (of course) I've never been there before. Any suggestions on a good campsite?
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-22-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
Depends on what you are looking for.

Boat in camping? Not much of that on the lake but there is one good spot up the Pit Arm a ways.

I prefer the McCloud arm and so I would stay at Holiday Harbor (small and made for RV's but has docks) or Hirz Bay (Recently renovated and nice, but no docks)

If you don't mind the Sacramento arm, look into Antlers RV Park/Campground. It's got docks, gas, ramp, camp or RV spots, general store, etc...
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-22-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
The boat in camping is pretty sweet up the Pit Arm @ Arbuckle Flat Campground. It is free, first come first serve and usually empty. Has nice pit toilet, BBQ and tables. Can be a bit of a walk down ot the boat.About 200" at this point as I was there last weekend. Lots of campers and motrohmes by Jownes Valley Marina too...
Rrick
Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-22-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! I'll look it up and try to make some reservations.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-23-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
There are campgrounds in Lakeheard also, up the Sacermaento arm. There are some public one's that are right on the water or like Shasta Lake RV and Campground has slips you can rent by the day http://www.shastarv.com/ here is a list of all the public and private campground on the lake... http://www.shastalake.com/camping/
Old     (AIrwar209)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-23-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
Sorry for the hijack....but....
@Gregg: have you any experience at the Shasta RV campground? Looks nice on the website but looking for firsthand experience. Thanks.
End hijack.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-24-2010, 12:12 PM Reply   
I just booked my reservation for camping at Shasta for the Labor day weekend. I booked for the Hirz campground. I have never been to Shasta before so it should be interesting.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-24-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
Hertz is nice and the water is still up so it should be great.

Personally I wouldnt camp at any campground on Shasta except Holliday Harbor or Antlers, Antlers being the best imo. Unless of course your doing the primitive or boat in thing then whatever works is fine. The pit is the best boat in camping on the lake and your still close enough to Jones Valley marina if you need anything. If you want a place you can drive to Beehive is nice but first come first serve. I would steer clear of Jones Valley/Polution Point aria, nothing but problems out there, locals are a bunch of fools and have no respect.

Also if your planning to go out and party at all Silverthorne has live music on Friday and Saturday nights and they have great pizza.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-25-2010, 4:25 PM Reply   
Jeff, I have camped at Shasta RV Campground a bunch in the tent side. Nice shaded sites and there are a buch that are pretty good sized. Clean bathrooms and close to the water, they have a dock also so you can rent a slip. We usually request spots U, H, K or J... I think its worth checking out.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-25-2010, 4:30 PM Reply   
Another great place to camp that is public and right on the water is the Beehive Point Shoreline Campground. Its right down the road from where Sugarloaf use to be.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...e%20Campground

Here is a google map that has all the shoreline camping
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.617294&z=11
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-26-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
I two would recomend antlers and the sacramento river arm the hole lake can be traveled by boat with gas allong the way but the upper sacramento arm has less traffic for playing.There is plenty of undeveloped camping all over the lake and the water is only down 35 feet.We are curently anchored in the sugarloaf inlet a few miles below antlers and made the trip yesterday to little backbone to see the water falls and do the water slide it only took 17 minuites by boat at 27 mph wherever you chose im sure you will have a blast
Attached Images

Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-26-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
There's a set of train tracks right next to the campsite. Not sure if you like the rumbling effects at 2, 3, 4 AM each night but the trains do come regularly at that time.

We camped there 3 yrs ago and it was very interesting. Lots of poison oaks/ivy in the area also.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-26-2010, 11:30 AM Reply   
the train runs past the salt creek inlet,donny creek and cascade cove other than that its all clear from sugarloaf inlet down to the dam
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-26-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
The other thing is launching - you have to drive all the way to Antlers, a good 10 min drive to the launch ramp. If you want to leave your boat in the water, you have to rent a slip close by (2 min away). Be careful with how you tie your boat at the private slips though. These private slips are not very well protected from the waves/wakes. My boat got bounced around and snapped one of the dock lines and it ended up banging on the dock, scratched my hull, ruined the graphics, etc.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-27-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
You can launch at Sugarloaf now for free since the marina is gone. Gooseneck is another boat in campground off the sacramento arm that is a great place to camp. has bathrooms (outhouse style) and tables, fire pits, etc. boat in only.