Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-12-2013, 4:07 PM Reply   
My wife and I just relocated from Texas to California a couple of weeks ago, specifically we are living on Spring Valley Lake in Victorville. Most likely, we will not be here long, maybe 2-3 years max. It looks like we will have the ability to take some 3 day weekend trips for the next few months and I'm wondering where the places are that you guys think we can't leave here without experiencing. We used to be avid WB'ers, but life has sort of slowed that down and we've kind of been there done that if you will. I realize the cities that we're close to, but am curious about the types of places within those cities that we should go see, eat at, etc.....

I mostly just play golf every day and am mostly looking to find great places to eat and see around the areas with all of the legendary courses that I'm looking to play out here (and there are most certainly a lot). Monterey, Palm Springs, La Jolla, Carlsbad, Sonoma, etc.....

Otherwise I must say, I've enjoyed the hospitality thus far. Living here is not what I expected and I mean that in a good way. The weather also does not suck thus far.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-12-2013, 11:27 PM Reply   
Obviously Monterey is great for golf and there are some top notch restaurants. If you want to come up near San Luis Obispo I'd be happy to take you to my course (its surrounded by Paso Robles wineries).
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-14-2013, 2:03 PM Reply   
I would spend some time in the Sierra's. Catch hwy 49 north and explore Hwy 4 up to bear valley, hwy 88 through the kirkwood area, then hang a left on 89 and explore Lake Tahoe. There's are a lot of beautiful sites along the way.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-14-2013, 3:52 PM Reply   
If you ever venture south of San Luis, hit me up. I'm a crappy golfer, but enjoy the game when healthy. Lompoc has a kickass course called la purisma, and the wineries within minutes of the course are top notch. Santa Barbara also has a few nice courses that I've hacked around on in my day. Sandpiper, rancho San Marcos, etc.
just let me know when you're in the area. Lots of good food this way as well.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-14-2013, 4:02 PM Reply   
mammoth. head north. The whole east side of the sierras from Lee Vining to Tahoe is amazing, and relatively underutilized compared to the hussle and bustle of the rest of the state.

Death Valley in February...

San Diego...

If you are happy living in victorville.... lets just say there are definitely some more beautiful areas to explore.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2013, 4:11 PM Reply   
Where to start?... (that's why not a ton of responses)
Weekend in San Francisco, San Diego Bay, La Jolla Cove, Hwy 1 between Santa Barbara & San Francisco, the Sequoias (Yosemite, Kings Canyon), Napa/Sonoma, the North Coast (north of San Francisco), Lake Shasta, the Colorado River at Lake Havasu / Parker, LA/Hollywood, Venice Beach is unique, Eastern Sierras - check out Mammoth, Virginia Lakes, Bridgeport, Lake Tahoe. I've lived here most of my life and am still finding new places to go.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-14-2013, 4:28 PM Reply   
^^^^
And what he said!
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-14-2013, 4:39 PM Reply   
You don't consider the high desert beautiful? haha. With where my wife works it was either here or Palmdale and the country club here is far superior.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-14-2013, 4:38 PM Reply   
the wedge!

rincon

HB Pier

Mr. Toads (disneyland AND the MTB ride in S. Tahoe)

Rafting American River

Bicycling the Biz Johnson trail during the fall color

The view from Mt. Talac

Artichokes in Castro Valley

Garlic Ice Cream in Gilroy

The Roy Rogers museum in Victorville ( )
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-14-2013, 4:47 PM Reply   
The stretch up 395 north from Victorville till you get to pearsonville is probably one of the most godforsaken ugly places on the planet earth, and certainly the USA. Between the landscape and the "development," its ugly. Never spent time in v-ville but considering what you can see from 395 or I-15, I've never wanted to...

Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-14-2013, 4:52 PM Reply   
We took I40 pretty much all the way from TX. The stretch of that hwy from the CA state line to the 15 was the ugliest place I've been on this planet by far.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-14-2013, 5:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfield View Post
We took I40 pretty much all the way from TX. The stretch of that hwy from the CA state line to the 15 was the ugliest place I've been on this planet by far.
well, then you have a new low point to look forward to!
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-15-2013, 5:09 AM Reply   
Yosemite (spelling?) and Bass Lake area are beautiful. If you get the chance check it out. There are also some cool little mountain towns like Oakhurst that have some pretty scenic mountain areas and old restaurants. I'm not incredibly familiar with the TX landscape, but I don't think you guys have too many mountains out there so check out Yosemite, Bass Lake, and surrounding areas. Enjoy your time there!
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       08-17-2013, 7:34 PM Reply   
Go to A1 when the 2014 SX Season starts. Also, try Carne Asada Fries.