Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wanttofly)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-18-2013, 4:51 PM Reply   
Looking at several boats. Two boats at the top of my list are the 2004-06 23/24 Malibu LSV and Mastercraft X45. General family boat. Using it to surf, board, tube and just to have fun with. What are the pro and cons with those?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-18-2013, 5:11 PM Reply   
I would recommend the Malibu.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-18-2013, 6:29 PM Reply   
My buddy has an 09 VLX, and for what he paid for that boat, I just do not see the value in the Malibu brand at all.

REALLY turned me off to them.

Sent from my futuristic Apple device while in my office doing nothing.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-18-2013, 8:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
My buddy has an 09 VLX, and for what he paid for that boat, I just do not see the value in the Malibu brand at all.

REALLY turned me off to them.

This post was really helpful, honestly....

To the OP. I haven't been in an X45 so I can't compare, and I haven't surfed behind the 23LSV. I have wakeboarded behind it with Gerry Nunn. It is a very versatile wake. With 12 people in the boat, some ballast and no wedge the wake was great for learning on, not too steep, very friendly shape. I really enjoyed riding this boat.

The value of both boats should hold steady, so both are safe buys as far as if you want to resell in a few years, you should be able to get your money out of them if you keep them nice. I like the bu but you should drive both before you decide.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-18-2013, 9:17 PM Reply   
Want me to elaborate? Ok.

The carpet, sucks, it is also not snap in.
The wakeplate/wedge, its a joke, always a problem with it.

His ballast pumps, again, always problems.

The boat has 160hrs and already has had a motor replacement.

The fuel gauge, well, it works sometimes.

The quality and fit/finish of that boat just does not warrant the price, and I do honestly believe there are better options for the money.

It seems as if every trip or 2 out, something is either broken, or working incorrectly.

Id be horrified to see the quality of an axis, malibus cheaper little brother, if Malibu is their "flagship" brand.

Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-18-2013, 9:50 PM Reply   
So here is the thing (and I dare anyone to contest this). In 2004-2006 (the years you're looking for), there was absolutely no comparison in quality between a MC and Bu. The MC will be your better boat here boss.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-18-2013, 11:15 PM Reply   
If that's your price range I wouldn't exclude a 07-10 avys and enzos
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-19-2013, 10:56 AM Reply   
Quote:

The carpet, sucks, it is also not snap in.
The wakeplate/wedge, its a joke, always a problem with it.

The fuel gauge, well, it works sometimes.

The quality and fit/finish of that boat just does not warrant the price, and I do honestly believe there are better options for the money.

It seems as if every trip or 2 out, something is either broken, or working incorrectly.

Id be horrified to see the quality of an axis, malibus cheaper little brother, if Malibu is their "flagship" brand.

Sounds like your buddy doesn't know how to take care of a boat.

I was originally a mastercraft fanboy. I have nothing negative to say about them. That being said, I believe Malibu is THE company to beat.

My home marina has a 23' malibu for sale, depending on where you're located.

http://www.gulllakemarine.com/pre_ow...R0&veh=3294543
Old     (96prostar205)      Join Date: May 2013       08-20-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
Malibu makes some great boats, but the company to beat? C'mon now lets be realistic.
Old     (Timebomb142)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-20-2013, 11:45 AM Reply   
I
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-20-2013, 4:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96prostar205 View Post
Malibu makes some great boats, but the company to beat? C'mon now lets be realistic.
Says the guy with 3 posts and no profile. Actually, Malibu is the best selling towboat currently, so yes, they are the company to beat in many peoples eyes.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-22-2013, 6:39 AM Reply   
Quote:

In all fairness the engines in wake boats anymore are more or less standard off the shelf small block Chevies with marine stuff bolted on, and marinized by the same few manufacturers. You'll find the same engines in other manufacturers boats.I'm curious what the failure was at only 160 hours?

Ballast pumps, I'm certain the same pumps are in plenty of other boats and suffer the same issues. Unless of course it's a wiring issue and not the pump, in which case Malibu would be to blame.

Some of these things are out of the manufacturers control and come down to quality of their suppliers. If they notice a trend or abnormally high rate of problems with a particular brand or model they may switch to another comparable product if available.
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-22-2013, 11:15 AM Reply   
I've road all of the major boats - XStars, Natiques, etc. In my opinion, Malibu makes the best product.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       08-22-2013, 12:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxxiswake View Post
I've road all of the major boats - XStars, Natiques, etc. In my opinion, Malibu makes the best product.
yes, you road.
Attached Images

Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-22-2013, 12:52 PM Reply   
The difference between manufacturers is nowhere near as great as the difference between dealers and mechanics. Especially if you're deciding between Mastercraft, Nautique, Malibu, Tige, etc., pick the model no matter the brand that has the size, features, and layout that fit your needs, that is priced right and where you have a local dealer or mechanic you trust to do good work at a fair price. That always leads to a happier experience than forcing yourself to buy Brand XYZ because you read it is "the best" despite having an incompetent or untrustworthy mechanic or dealer in your area to support you.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-22-2013, 2:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
MB makes the best product. Malibu glues cheap carpet to plywood for their top deck, uses the same Vinyl that Bayliner uses, and their fiberglass is 2/3 the thickness of MB's. The only reason Malibu sells more boats than MB is because they have the largest dealer network plus uneducated bums like yourself buy them because they put speakers on the transom seats.
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-23-2013, 11:15 AM Reply   
Whatever you say, boss. I'll let the fine folks at UofM know their degree doesn't mean anything.

Last edited by axxxiswake; 08-23-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: ,
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-23-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Whatever you say, boss. I'll let the fine folks at UofM know their degree doesn't mean anything.
Don't feed the troll...
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-23-2013, 12:07 PM Reply   
wow haha, didn't know there were people bored enough to troll a wakeboard forum...sad...
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-23-2013, 12:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
wow haha, didn't know there were people bored enough to troll a wakeboard forum...sad...
It is sad, zero reason to ever respond to that guy
Old     (brianl)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-23-2013, 12:36 PM Reply   
I own a 2003 Malibu VLX and the only problem I have had is a blown out tire on my trailer. I think the "ORANGE" guy makes a really good point. Check out the dealers in your area, their mechanical track records and how long they have been in business. You really cant go wrong with any of the MAJOR brands especially in these years you are looking. I've owned two Malibu's and my next boat purchase will be a Malibu as well.

I call BS on the guy saying his "buddies" boat only had a 160 hours on it. How in the Fu*k does a 2003 boat only have 160 hours on it. If this story is true then you should Buy a Book called "Boating for Dummies" and teach your buddy to maintain his boat. I have never replaced a single ballast pump, my carpet is in great condition even with sometimes 3 dogs on my boat, and my wedge works great. You must be a Four Winds boat salesman!

Treat the experience as though you are buying a car, go take the boats out on the lake, ask to see the maintenance records, you know common sense stuff.

Good Luck man
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-25-2013, 9:55 AM Reply   
"You must be a Four Winds boat salesman!"
Do you mean a Four Winns? I had the 24ft Four Winns and sold it because I bought an older malibu response which threw out a Great wake, the only wake that could come close would be an older Nautique never regreated the decision and never had any problems with the malibu, since then bought a 2005 VLX , and again very dependable boat. If I go to buy another boat, guess which company I will put at the top of the list?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-25-2013, 12:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianl View Post
I own a 2003 Malibu VLX and the only problem I have had is a blown out tire on my trailer. I think the "ORANGE" guy makes a really good point. Check out the dealers in your area, their mechanical track records and how long they have been in business. You really cant go wrong with any of the MAJOR brands especially in these years you are looking. I've owned two Malibu's and my next boat purchase will be a Malibu as well.

I call BS on the guy saying his "buddies" boat only had a 160 hours on it. How in the Fu*k does a 2003 boat only have 160 hours on it. If this story is true then you should Buy a Book called "Boating for Dummies" and teach your buddy to maintain his boat. I have never replaced a single ballast pump, my carpet is in great condition even with sometimes 3 dogs on my boat, and my wedge works great. You must be a Four Winds boat salesman!

Treat the experience as though you are buying a car, go take the boats out on the lake, ask to see the maintenance records, you know common sense stuff.

Good Luck man
The boat is an 09. If you would have read the post, you surely would have noticed this...maybe?

YOU, must be the "four winds" guy.