Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-19-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
tons of places by my house to skim board, so i traced it out on large paper. cut it out and cut it out on plywood . i soaked it i my pool and now have weight on it to get the nose to curl up. anyone else make them? what do you guys use to seal them? i know you can use fiberglass but i dont want to go that far. will any marine varnish work?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-19-2008, 6:32 PM Reply   
you will need fiberglass resin. a varnish would wear off so fast with you sliding across sand or whatever. the resin isnt that bad to use. you dont want your board to soak up water because weight will stop you from riding as far. and also keep the rocker on the nose to a minimum and put just a bit in the back for shuvs
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-19-2008, 6:39 PM Reply   
haha, what dont you do mitch? ive never worked with resin and ive heard its expensive (never looked into it though) i have this marine varnish that is supper think. i used it for my wakeskate when i sanded and re sealed it. i was hoping putting like 6 or 7 coats on it would do the trick
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-19-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
resin is easy to work with as well as fiberglass at least it was for me i work at a fiberglass shop working on damaged fiberglass on boats and picked it up real fast easy to do eccspecially if you working with an easy surface like a skim board now working around the curves of the rub rail area on a boat thas another story lol
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-20-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
guys, where can i get the stuff to cover it with fiberglass? is it just like a can of a liquid like bondo or something? i have no idea what im doing. ive never done anything with fiberglass. and how much approximately? thanks guys.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-20-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
its a 2 part resin epoxy. you mix it together and coat the board with it smoothly. go to home depot and some one will know what you are talking about.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-02-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
alright, so i got bondo brand fiber glass resin and i got fiberglass cloth at lowes today. i plan on doing glassing it over the weekend. once i finish ill post pictures. im thinking about using it as a wake surf board instead. the place i thought i could use has changed and i cant really use it there. and we pretty much never go to the beach. so a waksurf seems like my best bet wish me luck!