Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-25-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
I need some type of Shore spike to help anchor my boat. I was curious if anyone has made there own or came across a less expensive option then the ones sold online or in store. It seems as a pretty basic project, just looking for some ideas. One of the guys at Boaters World told me to look in to a heavy duty Dog yard spike as an option?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-25-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
Almost anything will work as long as it's sturdy. I use 24" rebar stakes for rocky shoreline. I use an 18" HD orange plastic tree stake for sandy shores, both i got at Home Depot and they've worked great for a few years now.
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-25-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
I was thinking the same think about the rebar stake from home depot. I thought about welding some handles to help push it down and pull it up easier. Most of the shoreline we encounter is rocky based.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-25-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
I use a dog yard spike, it's actually a cork screw. It's cheap and works great.
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-25-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
David, do you happen to know what brand/model or weight limit is is rated at?
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       03-25-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
I used a two foot piece of 1/2 inch round stainless rod that I welded a clip to. Used it for years and it worked well, it was just a bit clunky compaired to the Sandspike version that I now use.

www.sandspike.com

JT
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-25-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
JT, I like the idea of the sandspike, and looked at them. $50 I think is a little over priced in my opinion. I will only need a shore spike a handful of times each year. Most of the areas I would use them are rocky shoreline and not sure how well it would hold up, looks better suited for sandy areas.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-25-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
second the pooch spike. it has worked well with small rocks, dirt and sand.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-25-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
Nope I have no idea about brand or rating, if it even has one. I got it in a closeout bin at the pet store. I do know that it holds in the sand very well and I've never had a problem. Mine is very similar to this picture.
Upload
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-25-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
I use a dog-stake. Mine is just a stake with dart-like fins on it for in-ground traction, it was $7 or something like that. Patrick, if you have a bungee or "anchor buddy", weight limit really doesn't matter. Mine will pull out of the sand if I leave it there for a long time... but it works great for several hours, which is as long as we stay parked on the beach.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-25-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
I wouldn't use rebar because you're going to have to deal with rust whenever you put it in the boat. Plus, having that sharp end exposed on a beach where people are most likely playing is a major safety hazard. We had to take a guy to the hospital and have his foot sewn back together cuz we were playing football on the beach and he stepped on a stake for the canopy.

I use the sand spike because it's easy, small and stays clean. The dog stake looks like a great idea for everything, but the loosest sand. Very clever.
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-25-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
Cal, I do have the "Anchor Buddy" and would be using it with an anchor. I plan to use a the shore spike to secure the boat overnight on camping trips or when parking in a cove. Thanks for the feedback on the weight limit issue as I had the feeling the anchor buddy would help with taking the weight off the shore spike.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
I use a fence post (green with the while on top) and a big hammer to knock it into the ground. I cut the end off so it's just a straight piece of metal about 3 feet long. It's worked for about 10 years now with no problems.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-25-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
I picked up an 18" piece of 1/2" solid steel round rod, cut an angle on one end to drive it into the ground. For storage and to deal with rust, I got a chunk of 3/4" PVC pipe with threads on one end, glued a slip cap on the other end and use a screw on cap on the threaded side...instant protective case and no worries about the interior.
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-25-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
Shawn, good idea. Do you use a hammer to knock it into the ground?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-25-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
Patrick, its Matt. I use that same dog stake for my boat and it works well. Its short and holds very well. I only use it at Ray Roberts though since it has a sandy shoreline. I drop the anchor in the bow section and tie up the rear with that dog stake.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-25-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
Yup, either a hammer, anchor, or get creative with a large rock.

You can also slip the cover back over the rod that is sticking out of the ground if safety is a concern.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-25-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
you can find lots of thing to use at lowes and home depot in the gardening sections
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-25-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
There are these at ace http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1295647&cp=&fbx=0&fbn=Taxonomy %7CHardware&f=Taxonomy%2FACE%2F2568451&fbc=1&fr=St orePrice%2FACE%2F00000000%2F00002500&kw=dog&parent Page=search&searchId=24964957763 theyare like 3.99 and in the sam,e section by the rope and chain there is a more heavy duty version and it is like 7.99 that is what I have and it works GREAT.
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-25-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
Matt, I think the dog stake seems to be the easiest and cheapest with not much work involved. I am thinking ahead to a few Broken Bow trips we may plan and also some other weekend camping trips. I wouldn't have much use for it on Lewi or at the River most likely.

Rick awesome find. I will stop by Ace this weekend for sure, thanks!!

(Message edited by pfort on March 25, 2008)
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-25-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
We took an old auger and cut it into two foot section and welded a 7/8" nut on the end and found a t-handle and welded a socket on the end. We screw the auger in as far out as we can and use the elastic shoreline thing to pull the boats in. Works really well. If we're in rock then we use cinder blocks for anchors.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-26-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
I use the shore spike. Good luck getting one of those cheesy dog screw things into the shore where I boat. They do work great if you have a fairly sandy beach aria to use it on. An anchor buddy is a must, espessially for leaving the boat in overnight.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-26-2008, 4:15 PM Reply   
I have a dog stake and with a breeze blowing, it does not quite hold if the sand is soft.

http://www.slideanchor.com/spike.asp