Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-04-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
Before you all blast on me, I just wanted to share to show you can surf and have a good time behind these boats. I am currently saving my pennies up to buy an inboard as soon as I can.

We are still in on a quest for the best wake out of our ar230, but we have gotten a decent wave. we have managed to lengthen the pocket a bit, so surfing isn't to bad. We can make a really tall wave, but the pocket is to small and your right on top of the boat. We are still experimenting but here's a couple vids. These are from filming down since the boat is riding bow high.

http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... M_0243.mp4

http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... M_0242.mp4
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       08-04-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Do I have to have an account at the photobucket or are your links no good?
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       08-04-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
Do I have to have an account at the photobucket or are your links no good?
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-04-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
it looks like wakeworld cut them off..

see if these work.

http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/...t=SAM_0243.mp4

http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/...t=SAM_0242.mp4

Last edited by CarFanatic5; 08-04-2010 at 9:50 AM.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-04-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
Doesn't look too shabby! How much ballast are you running? It's definitely a big enough wave to have a lot of fun with!
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       08-04-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
cool vids. V-drive will be a nice wave upgrade for sure.
Old     (jonnymatrix5)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-04-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
Not too bad for surfing for jet drive. How is the wake on those boats for wakeboarding?
Old     (_somepeteguy)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-04-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
What is the wake like when you drive in a straight line?
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-04-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding is decent, its a tall steep wave though, not nice and sculpted like a v drive wake boat.

when we drive straight the wave is about the same, its just not as clean, when you turn it helps clean up and create the barrel at the back of the wave. The problem is that these jet boats do not sit very deep in the water at all. They float almost on top, especially at speed
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-04-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
forgot to post the ballast set up. I have 400lbs on each rear side, and 400 in the front nose of the ski locker. then we have a 455 lb sack we put on the back depending on what side where surfing. thats the sack you can see in the movie
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-04-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
Driving in a fairly tight, constant circle...do you eventually hit your own rollers on the inside?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-04-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
I think if someone does blast on you, it won't be because of inboard snobbishness. Just want to keep the sport legal and safe. Jets are definitely MUCH safer than I/O or outboards, no question, but still not as safe as inboards. That is the issue. Looks like you had fun!
Old     (_somepeteguy)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-04-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
I think if someone does blast on you, it won't be because of inboard snobbishness. Just want to keep the sport legal and safe. Jets are definitely MUCH safer than I/O or outboards, no question, but still not as safe as inboards. That is the issue. Looks like you had fun!
Why are jets less safe that inboards?
Old     (calvolson)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-04-2010, 8:29 PM Reply   
How fast are you going? It might be the mic picking up the engine noise that is playing with my brain but is looks like you're really clipping along out there.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-04-2010, 10:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post

Car, for the love of Ragboy could you please take your gas cap off and replace it with an engraved "Tige RZ2" cap? Only then will be happy, with what your doing on a "perfect equal on both sides surfwave" that only a Tige RZ2 can offer, oh wait,,,your boat has no prop...therefore yours are equally the same I imagine....Carry on bro!

Hats off to ya for trying and making it happen, Good Vid. Untill you get the boat you want, Keep having fun, and be safe..

I fail to see how his set up isnt any safer than ours, bottom line, hes surfing the same distance behind the boat as us and Mr Ranger/ Pollitician is not going to know the difference whether your a Vdrive or Jet boat.

Doesnt matter who's surfwave, Theres always the same guy to "Rag" on it and nit pick it on how it looks or how it was achieved. Its so simple, Make a wave, zip your mouth and Surf it.

Last edited by duramat; 08-04-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: gramatical
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 4:44 AM Reply   
There are some people out there, in authority, looking for any reason to ban wakesurfing. There was a meeting in Montana recently, where several of us in the industry helped provide solid information to someone who went to that meeting and helped keep wakesurfing legal in Montana, this was recent, and not uncommon. The fact that you are surfing on a non-tige, means nothing to me. Looks like you were having tons of fun, love seeing people learn and progress.

Safety and keeping the sport legal is a major concern for me, and I have put my money where my mouth is.

Anyway, keep having fun brendan, and keep posting pics and vids, just be careful, as I am sure you are.

BTW, it seems you cannot embed those videos on WW, not sure why, some "embed" code doesn't work on here, for instance, you can't embed Flickr Slide Shows either. I tried to embed them for you, but then it reports video not found. You may want to try another service in the future, and we can get those embeded.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 6:22 AM Reply   
We turn in a circle, and no actually we never com in contact with our own wake, its a beg enough circle that when we get back around the waves are gone. I would think jets are probably the safest way to surf.. no chance of you ever coming in contact with a prop. and we ride at 10.5 mph so if you fall in to the wash you aren't blasted at all.

I agree with ragboy about legality, I have no idea if its legal or not in ohio. if we see the water patrol we imediatly stop and wait for them to leave, just to be on the safe side. I would hate to not be allowed to do this. For me its 100% safe, and I enjoy it more then any other water sport. IT also hurts a lot less then wakeboarding!
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       08-05-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by _somepeteguy View Post
Why are jets less safe that inboards?
@ Ragboy.....What this guy^^^ asked.....
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
When we did our safety video, we decided that we wanted to actually do some of the research ourselves, and not just say, "inboard only". So we went to our slips and walked up and down and filmed several boats from the rear, so obvious with I/O and outboard, no need to comment there. On the jets the propulsion is sticking out the rear of the boat, and the deck is higher than normal to accomodate, like an I/O. Here is the only pic I could find, but when we did the safety videos, we looked very hard on it, and also followed a AR 230 that was attempting to wakesurf.

That is the only real picture I can find at the moment. An inboard, like mine, the prop is completely under the boat, and behind the huge brass rudder even. The most dangerous thing on the back of the boat is the taps plate, but all the way at the bottom, and the deck is low and protects from all of that. We surf constantly. I have yet to see someone fall and hit our boat, but some have got all the way where board is above the deck.

So I would add that I don't think an inboard, with the deck removed is safe. And I didn't offer that opinion without thought.

One last note that helps you understand where I stand on this. When we are out on oroville, if someone is surfing on an I/O or an outboard, I feel motivated to pull along side and tell them how unsafe that is, I don't always, but have on occasion.

One time, I did this with an I/O, someone that was surfing. After stopping them, I noticed it was an AR230. I apologized and explained to them that they should still be careful, but to me much safer than a I/O or outboard. They also were using a modified wakeboard rope, and so I gave them a brand new inland wakesurf rope. I always keep a couple handy, and give them to people I see using modified wakeboard ropes.

So I definitely think inboard is safer than jet, but if I see someone surfing a jet, I don't feel like it is completely reckless and stupid like I do with outboards and I/Os. I hope that all makes sense.

At the end of the day we all have to work together to keep this sport we love reasonably safe and legal for everyone.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-05-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
Ragboy, the rope thing is very admirable and generous. I bet you have saved at lease one finger!
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
ragboy, I cant find any info on those inland surfer ropes?? I'd like to get a surf rope, we are using a modified ski rope right now
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
Here is the inland, on towanza, where you can buy it.

http://www.towanza.com/surf-shop/rop...-wakesurf-rope

The inland rope is superb, but if you teach a lot, I prefer this one: (a bit harder to find)

http://cascadeclimbers.com/gear/gene...+w+Handle+2010

The difference is that it floats better with all of those rubber grips, and easy to choke up on. Either one is great. I think we have given away 3-4 of the inland ropes on the lake, need some more, I have only 1 left.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-05-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
Rag good on you with the surf ropes. All to easy to lose an appendage, I only use the braided rope w/no handle on my boat so there is no chance of getting caught on the rope.

I/O's and straight out Outboards I do agree on
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 3:40 PM Reply   
@duramat thanks, those big handles and thin lines can be dangerous wakesurfing. Had a guy at INT 2 years ago get killed slalom skiing when his head got in the handle. So we need to be careful.

re: i/os and outboards, we prob can all agree on that. My jetboat opinion may be different than others, but I wasn't spitting out something, I put some thought and research into it.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-08-2010, 6:18 PM Reply   
Almost rode out a 360!
http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/...t=SAM_0303.mp4

I think we need a faster board...
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       08-10-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
Good job man! Great wake on a jet boat for sure! I'd ride with ya anyday!
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-10-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
ya, just wish we could clean up the lip to get air.. but its fun! I hope to get a nice inboard in a few years