Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-16-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
I landed my first 360 2 summers ago. On that same day, I caught a HS edge trying another, and concussed myself....put me out for the rest of the summer with nasty symptoms. So, you can imagine the trick got in my head. Jump to now..I rode in my first comp a couple weeks ago, and it got me motivated to try it again. I ponied up a few bills to score Detention 2012 and watched it on a road trip to Tampa. Once I got home, I went out behind the jetski and practiced the drills Murray set out for probably 30-40 minutes. A couple days passed, then I got behind the boat, and voila...thanks Shaun for the video, the key tip for me was advancing on the handle (everyone says this but doesn't explain it). The coming in with my butt kinda back and then pulling in at the wake really did the trick! As you can see in the vid, it made my summer :-)

Let's try this link:

http://www.wakepics.com/video/22564/hs-fs-360

(Message edited by helix_rider on August 16, 2008)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-16-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
That's awesome! You look really psyched at the end and I like to see that.
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-16-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
thanks to detention 2012 I have almost landed my hs backroll
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-16-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
wow you look so pumped, congrats to you on that 3. i know exactly the feeling. now get out there and put it the bag!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-16-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
can sumone explaing the 360 drill ?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-17-2008, 4:37 AM Reply   
Congradulations on the 360 Loren.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-17-2008, 6:05 AM Reply   
Thanks guys...I felt a little sheepish getting so expressive over what many would call a beginner trick, but it has plagued me for so long and I was so surprised/elated that I had actually stuck it.

Nick, as to the drill, I'd advise the vid simply because it helped me land the trick, but here is my version.

1. Slow the boat down (I rode 18 or so) I also used my Roam, although any board will work. If you have center fins, take them off.

2. Riding directly behind the boat, pull the handle 'hard' with both hands so you literally pull yourself way in front of the handle towards the boat. It will make lots of slack line, so just be ready for that. I actually tried the 'drop the handle and then grab it again off the water'. It works, kinda cool :-)

3. Once you got that, now pull on the handle again, but now let go with your lead hand (left if regular) and reach around your back and tap the handle. Don't grab it, just tap it.

4. When I say next, that assumes you've done the previous several times succesfully. Okay, now pull then handle, but instead of just reaching, turn your head left while reaching and make the pass (and hence the spins). This is all on the surface.

5. Now start either just outside the wake or on the far inside of the wake. Do 'traveling' surface 3s inside the wake. This gets you used to the lateral motion while spinning. My biggest problem here was I leaned over too much to avoid getting the HS slam. You need to be leaning away from the boat a little, but don't break at the waist.

6. Okay, now do traveling 360 inside/out, using the lip to 'help' you. This was still supposed to be surface.

7. Now inside out with maybe a little ollie to try it in the air. I had to speed the boat up a little here so the wake wasn't all wash.

8. Take it wake to wake.

My advice, don't skip to the next step until you are solid with the previous step. It will irk many to sit there and do these over and over, so try not to have a boatful when you are doing it, lest the peer pressure push you into 'Heck, I'll just go for it'.

2 key factors for me:

1. As you approach the wake, be in a seated position, and have a little bent over/butt point away from the boat. When you come wake, at the lip (I have terrible timing, so I do it early sometimes), straighten up and pull the handle in towards your hips (just like you did in the drill). Being bent over a tiny bit made this part easier for me.

2. There is so much to think about on this trick, that I needed to let the muscle memory from the drills control me, otherwise I was just thinking to much and not doing something. The only thought I had was 'grab the handle....grab the handle.' Once I did that, I landed, and I had the handle :-)

Hope that explanation works for you, sorry about the length.
Old    sealyon.net            08-17-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
Nice! the thrill of victory.