Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-20-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
Anyone notice on the home page that Supra and Tige are the latest to jump on the band wagon with the LCD dashes?
http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2406
&
http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2399

I guess they feel like they have to, but all these onboard computers are a little scary to me. If that thing quits your pretty screwed. I think there's already enough reasons for a new boat to sit at the dealers service dept.
Most of the major manufactures have them now. I'll bet within a couple years it will be standard to simplify manufacturing. Whats your thoughts on these video screens?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-20-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
Tige introduced thier first digital screen on the 07 model and it's evolved since, so they really didnt jump on the band wagon. And all the major players have them CC, MC, Bu, Tige, SC, etc.
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-20-2009, 7:03 PM Reply   
that screen is standard on all supras.....and was in developement for 3 years prior to release....
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-21-2009, 6:14 AM Reply   
It's not the boat manufacturers that make that system, it's Medallion Instruments. They just program it to have their name and bolt it in the boat.

http://www.medallion-instruments.com/

The old Kaiser Medallion gauges with the MMC were pretty sucky and flakey, gotta figure these new systems are just more suck for more modern times. I'm totally in agreement with Matt, it's to simplify manufacturing and provide cheap eye catching "bling" that will break and leave you stranded. I'd like a boat with one button for the ballast and a perfect pass gauge, and some analog engine gauges.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-21-2009, 6:56 AM Reply   
There's another player besides Medallion, the company is called Murphy. Murphy does the Correct Craft and Supra systems. Although they use the same housing and similar displays, the software, capabilities and scope of what the system can do are different for the two brands.

Interesting enough, MC sought the Murphy system, but in the end had to use the Medallion system for various reasons.

Even though all the 'big guys' are using and LCD screen, they are very different and unique systems. As mentioned in the article on the front page, the Supra V.I.S.I.O.N. system is the only one that combines ballast monitoring and control; speed-based automatic Smart Plate control; Zero Off GPS cruise; full GPS chart plotting with depth contours; a true iPod interface with a dedicated multimedia page; automatic speed-based stereo volume control; full engine diagnostics with code descriptions; dedicated day- and night-mode viewing.

Oh, and the best part about the system....lets say the display goes blank, it catches on fire, it is sabotaged by an IED or it fails. In Supra's, you can still run your boat just fine. Fill the ballast with the exisiting switches at the helm, adjust the wakeplate with the existing lever on the steering column, jam the tunes from the stereo in the glovebox, maintain speed by using your throttle. System dies, you still boat for the rest of the day.

There are 5 manufacturers using 5 different systems, by 2 different companies. However, they are all very different.

I have the training CD in my computer right now for the V.I.S.I.O.N. system....it's super fun and easy to manipulate. Can't wait to show this thing off at boat show season.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-21-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
Wow, that sounds very cool. Can't wait to see it!
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-21-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
NAW -

The Medallion Website posted by Psyclone claims they supply the dash system to Supra. Is their Website out of date?
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-21-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
Medallion supplied the dash systems for the 2007-2009 Supra's.

I believe Supra will still use the Medallion gauges for the anolog speedo/tach/gas/etc...but haven't seen the final product yet, so I'm not 100% sure on that yet.

(Message edited by ripr on August 21, 2009)
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       08-21-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
Naw is correct. For 2010, the Analog gauges are still provided by Medallion. The VISION system is designed in conjunction with Murphy.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-21-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
Who has the best one??
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-21-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
All these boats run fine with out the screen. The screen is nothing more then an extension of the gauges. I was on a 09 23 LSV and the screen quit on us, but the boat ran fine for the entire weekend.

Not linked to the ECM, just really fancy gauges.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-21-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
^ but if it was overheating or lost oil pressure you would have no clue correct?
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-21-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
Not sure on how the other systems will monitor it, however in Supra boats, the medallion gauges still have a digital readout for temp and pressure, as in years past.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-21-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
I guess MC's looks like it still has everything, Nautique - not so much... no beuno