Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-21-2007, 11:23 PM Reply   
Just throwing this one out there.....

Is there a such thing as your turf, my turf? At different types of lakes, az has dammed lakes(no houses, lots of dirt and cactus), compared midwest and back east where theres rivers (with houses), private lakes, or small lakes.
Similar to stealing peoples waves(surfing, or bodyboarding).
Wakeboarding seems to be cool, but in the surf it can get ugly, Whats everyones take?
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-22-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
I've never asked anyone to leave a spot I ride a lot nor would I. This is a growing sport and will grow as long as we encourage others. With that being said wakeboarding doesn't have the room to hog an area. There are many miles of coast for surfers but the number for good boarding spots is far less. Another down side to being so small of a sport at time is the general public views a wakeboarder as a wakeboarder. Unlike say cops, we all know that they are good cops and bad. So when you are rude to a fellow boater not only are you representing me, but the rest of the people who enjoy wakeboarding, bikinis, and hospital bills. However I do not think that correcting another boater in your riding area is out of line. In fact I make a point to for my crew and my own safety. Following to close to my riders, powerturns, and unintentionally playing chicken will provoke me to stop and have a chat. Never will I tell someone to leave a public location.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-22-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
i think it happens in everything...more so with spots that are "off the beaten path" i think tho...i can think of a few different spots on the ohio river that ppl i know ride and have been riding for a long time and they will run ppl off unless they know them...not saying i am in agreeance with them or their actions but i know it happens...most of the time those spots are narrow and dangerous when more than 1 boat is going tho..

(Message edited by romes on October 22, 2007)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-22-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
I think "turf" seems like a reasonable thing, especially if its a hidden area you stumble across or something remote. I also believe this since the majority of these areas would typically be only large enough for one or two boats max. IMHO if I saw someone else riding a sick area that I stumbled across, I would definitely tread lightly and respectfully; why not?

I also look at it this way. Its kind of similar to the "locals only" attitude IMHO. If you make the sacrifices to move to that area specifically for that reason (which is common) I think you definitely have the right. You gave up a LOT more than someone simply commuting to the spot, and that deserves some perks.

But those are just my thoughts on the issue.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       10-22-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
We don't run people off but will go up and ask them to try to run a line, take turns and not power turn if they aren't doing what they should. Most people are very cool/receptive, there are the occasional idiots who then try to ruin the bay.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-22-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
I respect the riding areas of others by doing pretty much what Brooke's crew does and HOPE for the same while I am riding. But I do not think anyone can DEMAND their own turf on public waterways and run people off unless their are safety or legal issues.

The locals know when and where the spots are to ride so no need for gangsta turf wars to get the smooth water.

Besides it would be pretty funny to see some tool try protecting their 'turf' on a busy Saturday afternoon.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-22-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
We ride a narrow stretch of water where people are all across the board with etiquette. The problem is sawing people off to get in front of someone to get better water.

I am always respectful as a driver to those that show me respect. I never saw anyone off and if I don't have a rider I always cut to an idle as soon as I see another boat with a rider come at us around a bend.

However, even with being a nice guy, some people are clueless and some are just plain rude. I've been sawed off by people pulling tubes on more that one occasion and have had boats cruising at wakesurf speed with no rider right past us as we have a small child riding. Usually ends up in a fall.

SO, my new rule is, you saw me off I will remember your boat and you are fair game. I don't like to do it, but It's deserved and I want decent water.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-22-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
I make ninjas taste my 9 if they try and roll through my turf actin all hyphy. I go yankee on em' yadadadadadadamean!?!
Old     (bp22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-22-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
"SO, my new rule is, you saw me off I will remember your boat and you are fair game. I don't like to do it, but It's deserved and I want decent water."

Red X-Star.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-22-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
They got to you too eh?
Old     (bp22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-22-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
Yup and we watched them dump Jared. Bad, bad...