Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old    milo_lite            05-26-2005, 9:18 AM Reply   
Correct me if I am wrong, I remeber seen a post a few weeks back about someone asking about the impeller. I thought they said that it took probably no more than 20 minutes to remove and install a new one and the cost of the impellar was around 20 bucks. I have my boat being serviced for 100 hrs and they said i should change the impeller, i have the MCX engine on my mastercraft and they saod that on these engines it is way harder to go into the impeller. They are charging me about 180 labor parts etc for only this activity. Also how does 400 dls for adding a 2nd battery and conecting it and doing all that stuff sound, i say pretty darn expensive. Thanx in advance for your help..
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-26-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
I would think the boat dealer could change an impellar in 20 mins, but no way are you going to get it for $20. My guess is the dealer will charge you between $30 & $50 for the impellar, maybe even more. It's like cars, most people don't take their cars to a dealer after the warranty is up, you take it to a general mechanic, much cheaper. Dealers mark up everything.

Also, you'll be paying about $100 an hour in labor, so yes, that battery sounds expensive, but also sounds accurate for a dealer. Next time I suggest a DIY install, there are plenty of resources on the web to help you figure these things out.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-26-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
I have no idea where it is on your boat, but I just switched mine out two days ago on a v-drive SS Nautique. It was very easy. It was the first time I had done it and I would say it took about half an hour. You should be able to do both the impeller and the second battery yourself.
Old    milo_lite            05-26-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
Dont get me wrong, if i had my boat here with me i wouldve done it myself or at least tried, but i sent the boat to the dealership for some wierd stuff it was doing and it is time for the 100 hr sevice, i need it for this weekend, i am 200 miles away and well the second battery needs to be done cause that was part of the problem, so it really doesnt leave me with much choice.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-26-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
Sounds like you're gonna have to suck it up and pay it. Does sound a little high, though.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       05-26-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
sounds high for an impeller and battery
Old     (edandgem)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
I just changed the impeller on my sanger v210 and the rebuilt kit was 90 dollers and it took me a little over a hour to install the impeller back. It is not hard to do but very small area to work in. The kit included a new housing, impeller all new o-rings and replacment bolts Good Luck.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       06-07-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
I just changed mine on my 04 VLX yesterday. I'm at 200 hours so this is my second time doing it. It went faster for me this time (1 1/2 hours), but it's still a pain in the a$$. I think I can get it done in less than an hour next time. Working around the exhaust is the worst part of it.
Old    milo_lite            06-07-2005, 9:01 PM Reply   
Thanx guys, so i guess the 1.25 hrs they charged me plus 45 bucks for the impellar isnt bad i guess..I wouldve taken more than 2 hrs to put it on, on maybe not even right..
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-08-2005, 12:22 AM Reply   
Edward - can you give me a little more info on changing the impeller on the V210. I have a '03 V210 and am looking to change mine sometime later this summer (I have the regular 350, not the Scorpion). Also is it necessary to replace the housing and bolts at the same time? Seems like they should last longer than the every season or so I was going to replace it.
Either post here or email me directly if you have a minute. Thanks.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-08-2005, 9:33 PM Reply   
so are you guys saying to change the impeller every 100 hours? even if you are having no problems?

I have a 2005 Sanger V215 now approaching the 100 hour mark.....

(Message edited by ghostrider_2 on June 08, 2005)
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-08-2005, 9:48 PM Reply   
I replaced my impeller and yeah it sucked but I dont think I'd pay any 1 to do it. If it's v-drive it really sucks! Not impossible though. I dont think you need to change it every season, you just need to pay attention to what your engines operating temps are and if they start increasing it may be a sign your impeller is in need of changing. (my $.02)
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-10-2005, 2:21 PM Reply   
$180 to change the impeller sounds pretty cheap from a dealer IF that is the only job they are doing.

Consider the time it takes a mechanic to actually work on the boat. They have to move it into a spot to work on it. They have to empty out lockers and remove panels to get down to where they have to work (assuming V-drive here). When they are all done, they have to put everything back, move the boat again, fill out paperwork.

It may take them 20 minutes to actually change the impeller and 40 minutes to do all the other stuff.

Same with adding a battery. A lot of moving stuff to get access and not that much actual work.

Now, if you had both done, I would expect some sort of break in the labor because they will have already done most of the "gaining access" work on the first task when they start the second.

If the quote was $180 for impeller, and $400 to add second battery, and no break for both, then the deal doesn't sound very good.

If the quote was $180 for impeller alone, or $400 for impeller and adding second battery, and it includes parts and labor, then I think you are getting a deal. I would expect that the material cost on the battery would be around $120 (battery, battery box, cable, terminals, etc). The material cost on the impeller would be around $20, so total material is $140. That leaves $260 for labor. $90 to $100 an hour is a pretty common shop rate, so that is only 2.6 hours.

Sounds reasonable to me.
Old     (kgd)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-16-2005, 4:59 PM Reply   
I just changed mine on Sunday while out on the Delta. Took about 45 minutes with less than ideal tools. I always carry a spare with me. I don't remember what it cost, but I believe it was less than $50. This was in a 1999 Centurion Elite V. Pathetically, I only have about 200 hours on the boat. Hoping to bump that to at least 100 hours a year going forward.

If you wait until it is shot, like I usually end up doing, make sure you dig out all of the little pieces of rubber from the filter behind it before you reinstall. I had a straight inboard prior to the v-drive and it never took more than about 15-20 minutes to change.

Kris
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-16-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
has anybody changed theirs on a 215?
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-17-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
ermilo, plenty of room to get to the impellar on that boat. Lay across the engine front to back and work on it that way. A pair of short needle nose pliers and a screwdriver is all you need. 20 mins tops.