Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-16-2010, 8:14 PM Reply   
Hey all. I am getting the stringers rebuilt in my 84 SN2001. I am also getting all the cracks and stuff fixed on the hull. Anyone have any experience with a boat painted with Imron? I have read a lot of good things about it. I can not afford to get the boat re-gel coated. I am not to sure on prices of wraps. I saw a boat this guy painted and it look great.

Thanks for any info.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-16-2010, 9:08 PM Reply   
I have heard Imron and Awlgrip are the only two options for paint on a boat. Gel is tougher and thicker, but I have heard these two choices are pretty durable as far as paint goes in the marine environment.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-16-2010, 11:04 PM Reply   
Imron is very toxic and requires a special respiratory system.I watched a guy almost die using a traditional mask.
gellcoat requires a bit more sanding but is not that much different then paint.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-17-2010, 1:46 AM Reply   
international (interlux)marine paints.by akzo nobel.
use the perfection line.
sand with a 240 grit
2 layers of perfection pre-cote aply the 2 layers within 36 hours.let it cure for 2 days,sand with a 320 grit
and aply 2 layers perfection finish,within 36 hours,let it cure for 2 days..sand with a 400 grit and aply the last layer.
this paint is very easy to aply with a roller and a tip-off flat brush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK9Zcm543x0
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-17-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
Ben has you going down the right path. Lots of bottom paints available with antifouling only relevant for boats stored 24/7 in the water. I have used interlux products with good results on a sailboat. Drying times mentioned are for warm temps, longer times needed for cooler weather. Pretty easy DIY.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName=Bottom%20Paint& categoryId=35&refine=1&page=GRID
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-17-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
I have a guy that does this for living doing so he is using the proper equipment and I will be no where around this stuff.

My boat is on a trailer and will not stay in the water more then a weekend at a time. He only uses Imron when painting boats and has been using it for years.

Thanks for all the input. I am still trying to figure out what to do.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-17-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
Imron would be the most durable and is the best to refinish a boat if unable to gelcoat. Imron is not really anymore dangerous than other catalyzed urathanes. They all contain isocyinates. These go through the conventional charcoal type spray masks and into your lungs, so a fresh air type resperator should be used. They also make it into your body through any place that is wet like your eyes and also penetrate through your skin, so a full paint suit should be used as well.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-17-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
Imron wold be my choice. Might want to check in on having the last coat mixed with a clear coat to help with UV protection. I've done a 50/50 mix and had great results. Kinda depends on what color your going with also.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-17-2010, 8:27 PM Reply   
I might get flamed for my choice but oh well. If the color chart I found online is correct they have a bright green metal flake that looks great. If not that it will be green or orange.