Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-06-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
I had a guy pull me up over the weekend with a 35hp fishing boat. I weigh 225 and was on an old HO skurfer style board(with phazers!). It was just for fun but I was kind of surprised the little fishing boat got me up at all even with such a large board. It got me thinking that a small sit down jet ski pulling me around the Missouri river would be a fun way to work on surface tricks and such. I can get to a ramp in downtown KC within five minutes of my house so I could take a quick spin almost without notice. I'm just curious how big a jetski would need to be to pull me out of the hole. 440 or 550 or do I need something like a 750? My normal board is an Obrien 142 Josh Sanders which I know is quite a bit smaller than the old HO.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       10-06-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
If you know how to get up, you can get up on very little power. However, keep in mind (and it may not be in all states) you need to have a 3 seater jet ski to be legal. You have to have room for driver, spotter, and the rider. It is illegal to pull anybody on a two seater. (yes and that goes for you tubers too.)
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-06-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
When we are using our inflatable slider I will tow behind a small inflatable boat with a 9.9 Hp engine. Starts are rather interesting and top speed is only about 22 MPH.

A big problem with a Jet Ski is maintaining a steady speed. PWC don't like to go 20 MPH and you can be going 30 in a blink of the eye.

Rod
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-06-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
anything smaller then a 700 is probably going to be a struggle out of the hole. but ive done it behind a 3 seater 700 waverunner with out much trouble but im 60lbs less then you. like stated its hard to keep a constant speed at ~20mph with a smaller displacement engine. to take all question out of the matter get a 1100 or bigger 3seater
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-06-2008, 10:02 PM Reply   
yah i would think that you need over 700 like greg said Ive skated behind my friends 750 and it has a lil trouble pulling up right up and with 2 on it and one behind it it takes a long ways
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-07-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
Here is a tip for getting up behind something like a PWC that has too little power:

Don't attempt to start straight. Idle to the end of the line, get it tight. Turn 90 degrees. Hit it. As soon as the PWC starts to plane, turn away from the rider.

That will get the PWC up on plane first and then the rider will just pop up.

It does require a little room to maneuver, however.

Rod
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-07-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
My 3 seater is just south of 100HP, and it pulls me up (165lb) no problem on skates, wakeboards, and slalom. If you know how to get up, you should be able to get up on a wakeboard behind ANY jetski. I have pulled doubles behind mine just fine with combined weights of riders at 300lbs.
Old     (n00b)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-07-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
Try sitting or standing dock starts, generally deep water starts are where the ski struggles.
Once you are up and riding should be fine.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-08-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
I found a good deal on a Seadoo GTX that I'm looking at tonight. That should have more than enough poop and room for a spotter.
Old     (phat_steve)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-08-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
I got a new yamaha FX cruiser and it pulls me fine, I am 205 and ride a 145 Hyper-lite. The only problem is after ridin behind my buddies X-2 the ski gets a little boring.