Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            03-02-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
I was over at swaylocks, reading a thread on the installation of probox fin boxes. I found this to be an interesting use of a vacuum.

The "mechanic" routed for the HDfoam, GG'ed the high density material, routed the fin box hole, then laminated the exterior glass using a vacuum rather than a hand layup...not a great picture, but you can see the split lines, bagging film and breather under the film.

Upload

The full thread is here

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=333104;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view _collapsed;guest=17321732
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-02-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
That looks like a wound-vac that is used in the medical field in order to help poorly healing wounds heal. Same concept of using a film to cover everything and make a seal and then a vacuum unit is used to create suction.
Old    surfdad            03-04-2008, 5:42 AM Reply   
Stephen, tell me about the wound-vac, please.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-04-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
I can't remember how much pressure you can apply with them in terms of PSI. It is used for a poorly healing wound. You place a sponge over the wound that is cut to fit the shape of the wound and then you cover it with an adhesive film. A little suction cup punctures the film and then this is covered. The hose that is attached to the suction cup is hooked up to the wound vac. Here is a site http://www.kci1.com/82.asp
Old    surfdad            03-04-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
OH MAN Stephen! You didn't forewarn me about the pictures!!!!!!!! :-) Definately not for kids or the squimish!!! :-)

That sure looks like where the vacuum lines and attachments came from. Interesting materials they use for "breathers", I'll have to hit some medical folks up for samples.

Thanks for the link - well except for the gaping wound pictures :-)
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-04-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
Sorry bout the pics, I didn't even look through them. I just thought you may be able to get a good idea of what the unit looks like from their site. I am not sure how much the units go for or the packing, but they do work wonders for the people that need them.
Old    surfdad            03-04-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
I'm just busting your chops. :-) I can imagine that the dual purpose of applying pressure to the wound and removing the infectous material from the wound would work wonders. They use some interesting permeable material for allowing flow out of the patient. Very interesting concept and tool. Thanks again!