Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (adamcarta)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-03-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
Is there any way other than ballast to improve the wake of an I/O? Does adjusting the trim or replacing the prop help?
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-03-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
I think that the wake is better if you keep most of the people weight in the middle and front of the boat. We have Driver and passenger, someone on an ice chest in between and two or three in the bow. Then I set the trim to 1/4 to 1/2 way up and go 19-21 mph and that is the best that the wake gets for my I/O wake.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-03-2005, 6:20 PM Reply   
I run a 4 blade and use a whalestail and it helps a lot in conjunction w/ fat sac and 1/8-1/4 trim. Sometimes I'll add a couple of these for massive wake......

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-07-2005, 5:53 AM Reply   
Adam the prop wont help the shape or size of the wake but it will help with its consistency because it will be easier to maintain speed with a smaller pitch prop then stock. Im currently running a 4 blade 18" on a 20' with v8. I had a 19" high five till it got the crunch. Both work real well but your top speed will be limited and youll need to watch the tach so you dont over-rev.
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       11-07-2005, 5:03 PM Reply   
I used to have a a 17' run about with a 4 banger. Used 2 fat buddies (1 under the rear seat, and 1 in the locker), 1 fat sac in the front, a pair of 35lb weights underneath the front seats, and a pair of 45lb weights in the rear. We got an ok wake for a run about but it was hard on the boat. Then I bought an 85 nautique...with no weight the wake was bigger. Good luck getting a good wake, but I would recommend an old nautique...great wake at a great price.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-07-2005, 6:45 PM Reply   
I used to have a 21' I/O. Best wake I've ever ridden period. Also the easiest to adjust, put your trim all the way down then raise it for almost 2 seconds. On my boat it made the wake huge and clean, play with yours and you might be surprised.

I sold that old boat because I hang out too much on this forum and wanted a "wake" boat. Oh well, my new boat looks nicer.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-08-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
whaletails dont do anything for your boat except slow you down!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-08-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
Well actually they do the reverse of what you want in a wakeboard set up. They lift he stern of the boat out of the water for quicker planning and better fuel economy. Wakeboarding you want that @$$ sunk in for a phat wake, not riding on the surface.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-08-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
Couldn't you trim up and then put lots of weight in front? It would kind of be like wedge for I/O? Kinda inefficent but could work?