Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (sscott0203)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-17-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
I got into surfing last year behind my 05 Mobius LSV only had 1 450 bag in the ski locker, was able to find the pocket but very close to the swim platform. This year it has 2 400lb bags the the v-drive compartments, 450lb in the ski locker,500 lb in bow. So the wake should be much bigger this year. Last year i rode a hyperlite board, had the green H on it and was white and black. Not sure what the size was. I really dont know what to look for in a board, i thought the board i rode last year was kinda long. I am 5-10 and 180lbs Hope this helps
Old    surfdad            03-17-2008, 6:39 PM Reply   
You've come to the right place...Seth, do you mind being our '08 guide? :-) You are the first idividual to ask this year, but there will be many that have your same question. If we do this in a detailed manner if can be quite useful to other folks as the season wears on.

So, in order to guide you more accurately and help you wade through the normal "buy mine!" crap...we need some additional info. What would be helpful is to paint a picture of the board and how you intend to ride it.

The normal series of questions:

1) Is price a factor?
2) Is made in the USA a factor?
3) Is hand made a factor?
4) Are graphics important?
5) Is durability a factor? (some surfboard construction is almost delicate compared to a wakeboard)
6) Is fitting in a wakeboard rack important?
7) Will you be the only one riding this board or will it be communal or will you teach others with it? If so - ages, weight and size of the other folks
8) Do you mind buying it online, or is it important that you buy it at your local pro shop?
9) Do you have an concerns with material used in construction, for example it has to be epoxy, or no wood?

and finally

10) How do you see yourself riding it...do you have a skate background where you want to do shuv's or possibly a longboard background where you want to hang 10?

That should give us a good focus on what you're looking for.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-17-2008, 6:46 PM Reply   
Jeff, that list needs to be a sticky kind of post on this forum.
Old    surfdad            03-17-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
Thank's Ed - that would be cool if WW had that sort of thing. I lieu of that, maybe we can try and maintain it in some fashion?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-17-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
We (second person singular) could simply make one comprehensive post and then point folks to it.
Old     (sscott0203)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-19-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
1) Price is somewhat a factor i want to stay under 300
2) Made is USA is not a factor at all.
3)Hand made would depend on the quality of it.
4)Graphics do play somewhat of a factor
5)Durability, yes everyone will be riding it so i want something that will last.
6)Fitting in my racks plays a huge part, it must fit in my racks or i wouldnt buy. The Hyperlite i rode last year fit.
7)Other people will be riding it, but i buying it for myself not something universal that everyone will like. Age 20-26 Weight 200 max
8)Online no problem at all
9)Dont care what its made of as long as i can ride it, and the quality is there.
10)Last year was my first year, with not much of a wake i was able to just ride with no handle. This year with a bigger wake i would like to get into some "air" tricks
Old     (stephanie_dufour)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-19-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
Hey same question, I am looking for a board, preferably CHEAP, have been using an old surfboard...wax melts when it's hot. We are longboarders, hanging ten would be ideal...riders vary from 5-5 /170 to 6-1 /200. Not picky in any way shape or form, just want something to SURF on since my family pulls me out of the ocean to go to the river...
Old    surfdad            03-19-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
Stephanie,

Longboards for behind the boat are EXPENSIVE. You can figure a minimum of $600. My recommendation is to drag out one of your existing boards, or find a good used nose rider and just swap the traction from wax to hula dek or an EVA foam traction kit like the Xtrack Long Bow...total cost for traction is maybe $90. Way cheap.

Nose riding behind the boat with the aforementioned longbow traction.

Upload
Old    surfdad            03-19-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
Seth, I'm working on a response to your question, thanks for the detail. I'm afraid with the restrictions on "advertising", as defined in the intro, because I know everyone in the industry and all of the manufacturers personally I may have to PM you the response or post it on a less restrictive site. I'm very unclear as to what is or isn't allowed. Give me a bit, okee dokee?
Old    surfdad            03-20-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
Hey Seth,

I got approval to land! :-)

Let's give you some background so you can make an informed decision.

The list of qualifications really limits your choices, but I'll give it my best shot. The two most limiting choices are the rack and price. The majority of manufacturers will miss on ONE of these two areas. Skimstyle boards
like the Walzer, Phase 5, etc will fit in the rack but are typically more expensive than $300 and aren't condusive to aerials.

Water wraps around curved surfaces and when it does, it makes releasing for aerial tricks hard. To step up to airs you'll need
a board that releases well. Look for sharp or NON-rounded areas of the tail where the board contacts the water. Most true surf-style
boards will have "hard" or sharp rails in the back. Most of the "pop-out" or molded boards from the larger manufacturers like LF/CWB/HL will also have this attribute.

There are two other factors that assist airs, one is speed - you'll need to generate speed up and into the lip to launch into the air. Speed is mostly a function of fin base and depth. Again this is the mainstay of surf style boards like the Shred Stixx, TWP, etc. You can
still generate airs with skim style boards like a Phase 5, just not as high.

The last factor for aerials is the rocker. Boards with some rocker (that is the curve from the nose to the tail looking at the side of the board)aid in turning up and into the wake and as the board rolls UP it helps release the water, thus allowing the board to get airborne.

Durability comes from a few factors, one of the most important is the core material. A core material of 5# density or greater will provide the needed durability. Mostly this just eliminates surf style boards that are
made using traditional methods. That is 2# density core and 'glass. Wood has a 6# density or so, and Divinycell as a core or a skin is typically 5# density or stronger.

Lastly you wanted the board to fit into a rack - the MAJOR players do this well - they are wakeboard construction, injected foam and will fit in a rack. Skim style boards also work here - Phase 5, the thinner Walzers, Triple X, Calibrated, Trick Boardz, etc.

What this is leading you to is one of the skim style boards that uses Divinycell as a core. Those are Triple X, Phase 5, Victoria, Calibrated
and Trick Boardz (which now uses an 8 pound foam). Of those, the only two that meet the $ cutoff are the Triple X and Trick Boardz. OR IMO, the popouts from LF/HL/CWB that
are in the 4'6" LOA and don't have rounded rails at the tail. These boards tend to be more wakeboard'ish and as such don't have the performace level of the other manufacturers mentioned...however, they meet just about every other one of your criteria.

Did this help at all? If I wasn't clear, please let me know, ok?
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-20-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
Jeff;
You are the master of information. I can't believe how much info you have packed into that follicaly challenged head of yours.
Old    surfdad            03-20-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
LOL - maybe that's the reason - no folicles to get in the way! :-)

Hey Greg - unrelated item, where is Orowood in relation to the Disco Bay launch ramp?
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-20-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
About a 2 minute 5 minute ride. We ride our bikes there often to have breakfast. Do you plan on coming out soon?

(Message edited by leaks on March 20, 2008)
Old    surfdad            03-20-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
I need to get down your way...the reason for asking the question was venue related, is that the area that was the subject of that 5 mph limit? I'm trying to picture it in my mind - I just can't place the area.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-20-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
Yes it is. From the opening of Disco Bay to Orwood.

P.S. Are you guys going to the Tige reunion in July?
Old    surfdad            03-20-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
Shoot - Ok, now I can picture it.

We have a funny summer - James has to have hernia surgery, according to the surgeon, nothing serious, but with school, SAT's, family obligations, I'm afraid that the only time we'll be free is around that time.

Be sure to get pictures if you go!
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-20-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
I will. Feel free to come up and stay with us just for a day if your up to it. (Boat or no boat)