Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-04-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
I'm wondering if some boat owners out there can chime in here. If you own a white boat/gelcoat do you find that it's harder to keep clean than other colors? Would a black boat be harder to keep clean? (I know waterspots are and any scuff marks/scratches)

Just curious if all white is easy to keep clean or if it's difficult. Also, I assume the clarity of the water you ride in might have an effect maybe?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
We have a red cap on on or boat, and its not necessarily harder to keep clean, just harder to keep looking nice. You should wipe it down good anyways, but if you skip on wiping, a colored gelcoat will show water spots more.

IMO its worth the little extra effort to keep it clean, because it looks SO much nicer with colors. My boat with the Red cap next to an identical boat with a white cap, dont even look like the same years. White is way to plain.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-04-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
If you ask me white is the easiest to keep clean, but then again I am partial to mostly white boats. I had a reverse gel boat for a short time and the dark color hull showed mor signs scuffs and swirls than the white.

The white gel may not shine as purdy and be as glossed up as a colored boat, but the white hides more of the swirls and imperfections than the colored gel in my opinion. One thing is for sure.......................... Black is definately the hardest to keep gleaming and imperfection free.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2010, 6:10 AM Reply   
I have an all white boat. You dont even have to wash it and it ALWAYS looks clean. Black is a biatch
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-05-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
I've got a White red and black boat. The darker the color the more difficult it is to keep clean. I have to go over the black twice as thorough as the red, and the red twice as thorough as the white. In the end the white seems to just need a good towelling after we pull out to look clean. We still use babes, but not near ass much as other parts.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-05-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
Mine is very light gray (almost white) deck with a full black hull. Black is harder by far to keep clean.
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-05-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
Same as a car. Dark colors show waterspots, etc. much more and will require more work to look clean.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-05-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
my last boat was ALL WHITE, my new boat is ALL black(basically) - the white was WAAAYYYYYY easier to keep clean!!!!! I do the same routine with all my boats - but I gotta wipe wayyyy harder for the black than the white.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-05-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
White is classy and clean......and most importantly, easy to keep it that way!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-05-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
There is a reason I chose white for both my boat and my tow rig... it doesn't show water spots, scratches, or swirls.

When I was younger I would spend hours every weekend washing and waxing my cars. Now that I have kids and all their activities (dance, baseball, scouts, soccer, school, yada yada.) the reality is there is no time for "luxuries" like putting coats and coats of polish and wax on all my vehicles. But I still like clean and shiny stuff. What's a guy to do??

The answer is WHITE!

Embrace it! It's timeless, it's classy, and most importantly, it will still look new after years of ownership!

To those who think it's boring, you'd be surprised how many compliments we get at the ramp.

Old     (Showmethebutter)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-05-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
Black is hell!!!

Im currently out in Germany working for Sunseeker on a brand new 48 Portofino.

Put it this way if the boat was white i woud be back home right now. Because it has a black hull, topsides, back end and a wight superstructure i will be here another week.

Dont get me wrong it looks awsome but it is going to rewure a weekly detail when on the owners dock to stop thw waterspots and dirt from showing. Another thing is polishing it without putting swirls in the gel. Black acts as though it is very soft as even using a microfiber cloth scratches the surface.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-05-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
If your lake is dirty you will get a more noticeable 'ring around the hull' from lake stains and scum, and teak oil from a fresh oiling will show up more on white but those are pretty easy to deal compared to nicks, swirls, and scratches which are barely detectable.

Edit: Nice lighting in the pic DBC.

Last edited by bmartin; 05-05-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-13-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
good info and opinions here.....now I don't know what to do!!!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-13-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
i have charcol grey hull now i had white before . i wipe mine down every time i take it out of the water.the white showed a scum line worse the grey shows knicks and scratches. it's your choice. but as far as cleaning i see no difference in effort applied versus results.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-13-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
I have a black hull and it's a lot of work. Next boat will probably have a grey hull or white.

Gelcoat guy said black and red are the worst at oxidation if left in the sun. I store indoors and still a pain.

They had a grey special edition Axis at our boat show that was love or hate. I loved the grey hull with all metal pieces being black matte. Looked easy to keep clean as nothing was shiny.