Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-13-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   
I got my new set up in the mail today...Obrien Natural with the Ronix cells...it's soooo much lighter than my gator vandal. enough bragging, I heard you can heat mold the ronix boots, how do you do that? and I got some "J bars" (little yellow foam things) where are those supposed to go? wow, I sound like I've never wakeboarded before...lol
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-13-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
i think j bars are the acuilies[sp?] tendon support.

i think you put the bindings in hot bathtub water nd let em loosen, then put your feet in em and stand in riding position for a while.

we all have our fair share of stupid questions.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-13-2007, 4:38 PM Reply   
I wondered that as well. Will they mold themselves after riding a good session in some warm weather?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-13-2007, 5:07 PM Reply   
I just did a search on the board. people were talking about a machine that a board shop would have to mold them to your feet. Is there anyway to do this at home?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-13-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
I know with heat moldable snowboard/ski boots you can use a hairdryer if it comes to it. Why not find a shop with a heater though? Seems like there should be one within a relatively short drive for you.

-Steve
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-13-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
there is velcro between the liner and the outer shell where you can put the jbars.
i would recommend finding a ronix dealer with a heater(you dont want to mess up your boots). they should be nice and do it for you, but you should have supported your local shop anyways. tisk tisk.
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-13-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
I know a foot doctor and he said that they use the same stuff in foot braces and he said that they just put their stuff in a regular oven on about 100 degrees for only about 1 minute to 30 seconds or so. I would be to scared to try it on my on though.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-13-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
I think paying $750 a year for a gold pass at TSR is plenty of support to my local board shop
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-13-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
go to a hockey shop around you and use the oven that they use to fit skates... the compounds inside of the binding are the same as skates and will heat up similarly
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       04-13-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
Yeah find the closest ronix dealer if its reasonable.. They will have the "cooker", which has some tubes that go into the boot and heat it up.. you put on this sock and a toe cover and put your foot into it for like 10 minutes and youre good
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-13-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
Go to the shop. The cooker is the way to go. The intution liner is the same as what is used in snowboard bindings. So a snowboard shop can heat them. I have the cells. Had them heated. They cook them longer than 30 seconds or a minute. The cooker has a timer on it...I would say it is somewhere between 3 to 5 minutes. suckers are hot. they put a special nylon sock over your feet with a plastic toe piece over your toes. Slide your feet into them puppies and you can feel them expand to your foot. PUT THE J BARS IN FIRST. Some people heated then put in jbars. not easy once you heated them. The jbars do velcro to the boot..not the insert. you can feel the velcro shape in the boot is the same shape as the jbars. Lay the jbars on you bare foot. Place them under the ball of your ankle. With one leg of the jbar pointed towards your toes. The other leg of the jbar should point up your leg. I mention to do this so you can see how they are going to function in your boot. Jbars are optional...but I would definitely use them. They keep your heel down. If they are installed correctly in your boot...you will feel resistance around them when putting on and taking off your boot. The heater is a higher temp than 100 and hotter than tub water. This is a closed cell foam...much different than other heated foams with the exception of snowboard boots. I would recommend going to your local shop and heat em.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-13-2007, 7:57 PM Reply   
you're the man scott
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-13-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
Do not put them in the oven!

But if you do, please post pictures of the aftermath
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-13-2007, 10:50 PM Reply   
yea due i wanna see that S##t.
Old     (majorman22)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-14-2007, 5:29 AM Reply   
do you have to do the same thing with the shanes??
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-14-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
Scott pretty much covered it all. Most good snowboard shops have a heater at hand. I used a burton one to heat mine up, worked a treat. I highly suggest getting them molded and make sure they're dry when you do it.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-14-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
Glad to help. I was the first at my local shop to heat em up. So the manager and I spent some time looking at the process and called Ronix and talked with them before heating mine. but heating them is the way to go. I thought they fit pretty good before heating. But they fit totally awesome after heating.
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-14-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
Yea go to your local snowboard shop and use their cooker
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-14-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
Yea I do not recamend doing as i said earlier about heating them in an oven. I dont have any ronix bindings yet but i will probable try the ones later on in the summer and I will try and find a shop somewhere to do it. No you do not do it with the Shanes.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-14-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Here is a picture of the aftermath of heating them in an oven for 7 minutes at 250 degrees Fahrenheit. No damage and after standing in them for about 10 minutes they molded to my feet perfectly. Ronix recommends heating at 120 Celsius, which equals 248 degrees Fahrenheit so using hot water, hair dryer, or heat gun will not work. Keep in mind water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.

Yes, I'm sure the machine is better and definitely safer. As I understand the boot slides onto something so just the inside is heated? A snowboard shop in my area said they would do it for $20 but rather than spend the cash and drive an hour I just did it myself. No problems and they fit great.

Scott is dead on about the J-Bars. They stick right to the L shaped velcro inside the boot, not the insert. I tried them on without the j-bars first and liked the locked in feel much better with them installed. I put mine in before I heated with no problem.

Upload