Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-16-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
Has it changed much in the last 10 years?Would I notice a big difference between my 2003 hyper lite to a 2013 board?
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-16-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
no
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-16-2013, 3:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vilfo View Post
no
True. Unless He Upgraded To An O'Brien
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-16-2013, 6:35 PM Reply   
The top level stuff has progressed and a lot of the shapes are more user friendly. Most of the lower level boards today are basically slightly tweaked pro models of old. Besides flex boards, regular wakeboards are still just foam and fiberglass. My opinion is that you can get a 1-2 year old brand new board for very cheap, why buy something 10 years old and potentially thrashed?

The biggest improvements have been to bindings. Skimp on the board perhaps but spend extra on boots, you will live a happier life.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-16-2013, 7:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by badluck View Post
Has it changed much in the last 10 years?Would I notice a big difference between my 2003 hyper lite to a 2013 board?
well, flex boards are out there now.

As far as "technology" I would like to think that all these guys have an engineer living in their basement running some hardcore computational fluid dynamics software to really kick out some refined products, but i cant say I have ever heard of it, or seen any job openings at liquid force for engineers? Unless I missed them, and then I will be very sad!

If you havent seen and computational fluid dynamics pictures (GOOOGLE IT! its worth a google) basically analyzes the flow
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-16-2013, 8:03 PM Reply   
Technology hasn't changed much - but shapes certainly have. 10 years ago, most boards had a big, flat bottom and landed like bricks - most of the boards now land softer.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-16-2013, 8:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
The top level stuff has progressed and a lot of the shapes are more user friendly.
I can't see something new in technology even top level stuff. Can you advise that progress and where you see?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-16-2013, 8:50 PM Reply   
You could ask the same question about cars. Sure they still have 4 wheels, an engine and a steering wheel. If thats all you desire then no reason to change. But if you want something that makes your life a bit more easy and fun, you should take a look at what's new
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-16-2013, 9:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexair View Post
I can't see something new in technology even top level stuff. Can you advise that progress and where you see?
It's not soo much new tech as it is using proven tech in a different way to make boards better. Take for example the CWB Marius. The board itself has amazing pop yet with the rocker line is slow. When they added phasers (tiny step downs, or up depending on how tou look at it, away from the center towards the tip and tail on the bottom) the board became much faster.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-16-2013, 9:47 PM Reply   
1. Different core materials and layups. wood, high-end foam, bamboo, carbon fibers etc --- this is associated with flex too... and weight
2. Tough rails for hitting rails. ABS, polyurethane side walls, kevlar, glass ropes (the last two is more just for Byerly boards)
**3.**and some ideas that are not universal, but being played with--> urethane bushings and stomp pads in the board under the boots, different core materials and arrangements, base materials, dimpled bases like a golfball, pop-up fins and fins that can be adjusted forward and back by micro-adjustments, speed-boat ribs like the obrien delta base, mounting hardware for the boots like the track systems, and maybe one or two other things i am forgetting

Don't forget to look at wake bindings too. big changes there
1. GONE are the days of rubber and binding lube, enter the world of neoprene and other soft cushy things, laces and straps and everything that makes strapping in a pair of boots better than putting your feet in grandma's home-made warm apple pie... if that analogy works for you?
A. heat moldable (removable) liners
B. laces and velcro
C. Hyperlite systems
D. Closed toe
E. 6 inch plates and lighter hardware

Last edited by wakerider111; 06-16-2013 at 9:51 PM.
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-16-2013, 10:00 PM Reply   
I was thinking of getting a new board. Mine is 10 years old.I did new bindings last year and it was a huge upgrade.Just wondering if I would notice a big enough difference to warrant a new board.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-17-2013, 5:12 AM Reply   
There have been numerous changes, as stated above. Will you notice a difference? You will have to ride them to know that. Lots of things are subjective and how a board rides is definitely one of those things. Look at the reviews on here and you will see several different opinions on the same boards. It's all based on your previous experience and how you use the equipment.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-17-2013, 7:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
When they added phasers (tiny step downs, or up depending on how tou look at it, away from the center towards the tip and tail on the bottom) the board became much faster.
Therefore any board with small good known before changes we can make better and better. But as for me it seems like mixing the old deck of playing cards for keeping interest of players. When was done step in flex side it was really something new but for stiff it's just tuning and repaint. If somebody will put a stringer into the board like it was made by Gibson into the guitar for ability to change curve of board I'll say it's revolution technology
Sorry for my accent
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-17-2013, 7:27 AM Reply   
i find newer boards, even low end ones much lighter than previous models, especially from 10 years ago... but that is me and i like that.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-17-2013, 7:40 AM Reply   
When it comes to technological advancements, clearly the biggest leap was the LED lights in the Ronix boards. How anyone ever landed any trick before that just baffles me.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-27-2013, 1:34 AM Reply   
Who's making urathane stomp pads?
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-27-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
It depends on what 03 Hyperlite you are riding and what you are looking for in a board. In my opinion, the 02-03 Premier is one of those shapes that could definitely stand the test of time.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-27-2013, 2:36 PM Reply   
I'm in almost the exact same boat as the OP. I have a 2002 Hyperlite Belmont 136 and bought it new. I just finally got my first boat of my own, so it's finally getting some regular use. I've wondered the same thing about the need to upgrade. So far, my money's been better spent elsewhere.

Like the OP, I did upgrade my bindings a few years back to some CWB Faction hinge bindings, which I am pretty happy with.

Here's a pic of my setup (from when I was messing around with putting a camera mount on the board...)

Thoughts?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-27-2013, 9:25 PM Reply   
Phalanx made in mutiny factory - photo of the boards innards and tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLurker View Post
Who's making urathane stomp pads?
forgive me if "stomp pads" was not the best choice of words for visual. but this is the exact picture i had in mind when i wrote the post above
Attached Images

Last edited by wakerider111; 06-27-2013 at 9:28 PM.
Old     (97friar)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-28-2013, 6:25 AM Reply   
Similar boat on this one, but I'm riding a 96 Waketech Flight 69.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-28-2013, 11:48 AM Reply   
Slingshot, Company (gone), and Mutiny (Eric) have been the only ones on the forefront of board tech. Everyone else follows.