Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-08-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
So today I have a Nikon D-60 and a Cannon HV-30 Im amateur at best and dont use the Vid Cam that often. Do you think its worth while to sell both and get a nikon d300s? Im not making movies professionally or anything......just wanted video for the boat and when hanging out with my niece and nephew...........How would the video be on a d300 with a 70-300?
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-08-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Also what do you think they are worth together as a package----D60 Body Only and HV-30 with transferable replacement warranty till Oct 2011
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-08-2010, 9:22 PM Reply   
If you're a *casual* shooter then I don't think you'll be happy trading in your HV-30 to get an "all-in-one" DSLR solution. Straight up.. we've been spoiled by the technology crammed in to the video cameras these days! By going the DSLR route you're giving up auto-focus, steadyshot, stereo audio, easy point-and-shoot convenience, etc.... Sure you have the option to shoot "photos" or "video", but trying to manually focus on kids running around, shoot action sports, or anything that moves will be a challenge in itself if you're not use to it. Not to mention if you want someone else that has never used a DSLR to film you wakeboarding.

I'm not up to speed on the video features of the Nikon D300, but I know from talking with Ronnie Romero that he has to do more to shoot video with his Nikon vs. the Canon 7D.. Even with the Canon you still lack the key features.. Auto-focus & steadyshot.

Just my $0.00002, but I think the whole video-DSLR movement is still too young for recreational users. Even with aspiring cinematographer it's a challenge and that's probably why you only see the "I just got my DSLR" videos posted online of people's pets, flowers in their backyards, etc.. and then nothing else.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-09-2010, 6:01 AM Reply   
Good points. Thanks for the info
Old     (Steve_Bates)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-12-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
What Kung Fu said.

I have a 7D and use it lots (poor grammar, I know). When I am shooting fast moving action stuff, I put it away.
To grab a camera and shoot your friend doing a keg stand at a party, or have your girlfriend film your set.. Not a chance. You may as well have them use a camera phone. HDSLR cameras take a ton of babysitting and practice. Also a ton of marital counseling as you will spend thousands in rigs, lenses, and third party audio products.
Buy something that has auto everything. You will be happier.