Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-27-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
i was at a party on sunday and was talking to the photog. after a while, the conversation went like this.

me "so who are you shooting for?
her "the shoe company. i'm interning with them right now."
me "oh cool! oh hey, that shot would be cool with a fisheye, huh?"
her "yeah, but i don't have a fisheye right now. i want to get the 10mm." (she shoots w/ a 20d, btw)
me "nice" (i thought, "did canon come out w/ a 10mm fisheye?")

later, she was shooting w/ the built-in flash. not that it's bad, but was just curious...

me "no speedlight?"
her "no, not yet. i need to sell some of my older gear to get newer stuff."
me "ah, totally understandable."
her "wanna buy an 18-55 kit lens?"
me "no thanks. i actually shoot nikon."
her "that's unfortunate." (and she started crackin' up)
me "umm, aren't you shooting in auto?!?!"

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-27-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
At least she knew the 18-55 was cr@p, you've got to give her that!
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-27-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
"later, she was shooting w/ the built-in flash. not that it's bad, but was just curious..."

Oh no, you were mistaken. That IS bad.
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-27-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
rich, what do you mean the 18-55 is crap?? i just bought one from a guy for 1000 last week. he told me it was normally 2000 and so i thought it was a good deal. did i get dooped??

auto, whats wrong with auto? seriosuly who wants to acctualy work when you dont have to.

okay i cant do it anymore...
some people thinking buying a camera makes you a photograher. its kind of frustrating. this is why digital is such a double edged sword. i am thankful for it because it has increased my learning curve a ton but at the same time it robs the industry for those who acctually want to be photographers and want to put the effort into mastering the craft.

and that 18-55 should be used as a paper weight.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-27-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
Taking pictures makes you a photographer, selling them makes you a pro photographer. Other then those generalizations I'm not sure how to quantify the rest of it when it comes to equipment and knowledge of how to use it or for that matter learning the principles of composition etc.

I wish it was that easy, that all you had to do was learn all that stuff and you'd automatically take good pictures.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-27-2008, 10:22 PM Reply   
Taking pictures makes you a hobbyist. Selling them makes you an opportunistic hobbyist. When the income from your hobby makes up 3/4 of your annual income then you can start to think about calling yourself a professional.

Why people call themselves a "pro" when they make less than $10K a year is beyond me. Oh well. Whatever makes you feel important, I guess...
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2008, 6:14 AM Reply   
I thought the P mode stood for "Professional"
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-28-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
Well put Scott although you could say making over 10K a year makes one a businessman more then anything.
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-28-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
haha nice bakes!
yeah i work for the student media center at our school, it's nuts how many rich kids drop 2 grand on a set up and think they are "pro's" since they get 100 bucks a month
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-28-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
That's awesome, Bakes!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-28-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
I guess it all depends on your perspective. I made over Scott A's minimum last year shooting wake, published in all three major mags, all but 4 issues last year and still consider myself a hobbyist. Well an "opportunistic hobbyist" as Scott put it.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-28-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
thats probably just cuz your a humble guy Hahn...

from what i've seen on here...never met ya