Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-03-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
Some time ago there was a post on an alternative to MDF that was lighter and possibly waterproof? I am building a little box for my boat and I would like to keep as much weight off as possible (just like Kate Moss). Any suggestions?

Thanks guys
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-03-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
Mikeski,

I posted a thread on planetnautique a while ago about Medex. I think thats what you mean right?

The stuff works great. I've actually had a few pieces sittin in the rain for a few months that are still in pretty good shape.

I used it for my speaker and sub boxes as well as an amp board.

It is certainly not lighter then MDF. It is a lot more weather resitant.

Hope this helps.

Derby

(Message edited by derby on February 03, 2006)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-03-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
Lexan?? Boss used to build boxes out of it and they probably still do. Half the boxes today have clear lexan to show off the sub, and allow the LED's to shine through.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-03-2006, 9:42 PM Reply   
It was the medex. thanks

heavier than MDF... well it looks like I will need to come up with something else. While I don't mind working with plastics I don't think Lexan or Plex will be any easier to work with or lighter than MDF. I need to bend one of the corners on about a 12" radius so it follows the seat pattern.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-04-2006, 5:40 AM Reply   
The guy that built his own hlcd tower speakers used baltic birch (www.diytower.com).

but why not just use fiberglass?
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-04-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
What are you building Mike? Is it for speakers, I just assumed that I think. If you want lite and waterproof you may be heading towards some plastics.

There was a guy on The2001 or PN that made an equipemnt box and/or rear seat out of plastic.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-05-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
Here you go. Check out items from this seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/12-STANDARD-ACRYLIC-SINGLE-SUBWOOFER-BOX_W0QQitemZ5839808982QQcategoryZ50568QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is the one I put in my boat. Sounds Great- Very good quality

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-05-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
The Nautique SV211 has a rear seat extension that looks like a traveling ironing board. It has a folding stainless steel arm that swings closed for storage. I am just replacing the dead space below with a sub enclosure. I like to keep things looking like the manufacturer installed it so it will follow the seat profile and be carpeted. I found a shop that sells some "ultra-light" fiberboard that's half the weight of traditional MDF. It's 18mm thick so it should work well.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       02-07-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
Mikeski, I've built a ton of boxes in boats and the best bang for the buck is MDF. Corners and bends can be a bit tricky and time consuming but a series of beveled pieces should get you that radius. Coat the box in fiberglass resin. It bonds really well to MDF is totally water tight. As far a weight when you look at the total weight difference between MDF and, acrylics plasics is minimal. A full cooler (of adult beverages) weights more than my box. Your talking less than 15-20lbs. Depending on skill level one can do some pretty amazing things w/MDF
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-08-2006, 12:53 PM Reply   
Thanks Ryan.

I know that MDF is really easy to work with, readily available, but heavy. I have also done lots of stuff with plex too, but that gets heavy too in the thicker varieties. By the time I stuff a 15lb sub in a 15lb enclosure things start getting heavy to lug around. Since I strip the boat after each use it's an issue carrying the weight up the ramp to my car/garage/camp. I think the ultra-light MDF will be the ticket since it's half the weight. I may laminate a series of radius cuts to make the rounded corner (thanks Grant - from Jude's X9 install).